For Sale 1972 GTV - Fully Built Vintage Customs/Terry Tinney - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

1972 GTV - Fully Built Vintage Customs/Terry Tinney

I purchased this car in 2009 from Petaluma, CA and drove it as it was for about 1 year. I then tore into it on what I had hoped would be a 3-year project. Long story short, it took 8 years to get my car back on the road and by then I had a wife and a 2 month old. Suffice it to say, the car I set out to build at 22 didn't quite fit my life at 32. Less than 500 miles have been put on the car since completion, 200 of which was the break-in.

Full info below, but essentially I went in and rebuilt every part of this car with (what I felt) were all of the best parts from the best "experts." I built the car I wanted and understand if it's not to everyone's tastes but I believe the work quality is above reproach. Terry Tinney built the motor and transmission and Vintage Customs finished off the interior, electrical, and fuel. Yes, it was that saga. I have receipts and invoices for about $70,000 of the work, but am missing a few from some of the random work/parts. For what it's worth, I'm at about $75,000 invested beyond the price of the car.

The car is located in Santa Cruz, CA, tucked nicely in my garage. I am not in a rush to sell it but will certainly do so for the right price to the right buyer. I am now asking $60,000 but am open to reasonable offers. Until then, I'll enjoy the monthly zip around the mountain roads around my house.

I will attach some photos but have plenty more available by request, along with the aforementioned invoices. I also have progress photos showing nearly all of the work (body, interior, carbs, wheels, etc.) Yes, this car was on Bring A Trailer but had an unsuccessful auction. Someone came in immediately with a big-boy bid and successfully scared others off from bidding (or so it seems to me) and the reserve was not met.

Included in the sale are the original seats (front and rear), bumpers, spica manifold and system, a cover, and anything else I still have for it (I have a few boxes of parts). Undoubtedly I am missing something, but here is everything I can think of now:

Engine and transmission - Full build by Terry Tinney in 2011/2012, finished off and tuned by Vintage Customs in 2018. Motor has been rated at "180HP+" by the builder, but never put on a dyno.
• Darstan headers
• Full stainless exhaust system from Centerline
• Converted to dual 40DCOE Weber carburetors (sourced original carbs which were rebuilt, not remakes) with correct European manifold and linkage
• Ram air stacks
• Complete overhaul of the motor.
• Surfaced heads
• New cams, valves, connecting rods, etc.
• J-E Custom lightened pistons
• New main and rod bearings
• New ARP rod bolts
• New Timing chain
• New gaskets
• Replaced syncros
• New seals

Bodywork - Work performed by Andy Schank in 2012.
• Sanded and primered entire car.
• Repaired rust on drivers door
• Repaired rust under rear windshield
• 100% new seals (trunk, hood, doors, windows, etc.)
• Replaced spare tire well and both floorboards
• Filled holes for unused "inizione" emblem and unused antenna
• Repainted in original Rosso Amaranto (of note, the underside of the trunk lid is the original paint and you can see how spot-on the original is)
• Bumpers removed (original bumpers included)
• Alfaholics grille - Mesh and center heart (original grille included)
• All chrome pieces removed, polished, and clear-coated

Suspension - Work performed by myself and my father, finished off by Vintage Customs
• Replaced all bushings with new, polyurethane bushings.
• Stripped, sanded, and sand blasted all suspension components before coating them in rubberized protectant paint.
• New Koni Yellow adjustable shocks
• Centerline Alfa Performance Springs

Wheels - Original Campagnolo Magnesium wheels, refinished in "Daytona Ferrari Gold." Have sourced the original Campagnolo center caps but still need the center clips.
• Brand new Falken Azenis RT615K

Brakes - System completely overhauled with performance pads and slotted/drilled rotors.

Interior - Finished by Vintage Customs in Tacoma Washington
• Fully rebuilt (down to the springs) "flying buttress" seats
• All new carpeting and padding
• New headliner (correct "snakebite" material)
• New Sun visors
• Custom rear window shelf
• Custom parcel shelf where rear seat had been
• New door panels all around.
• Dash from 1969, covered in suede with center brushed aluminum insert
• Center console to match
• Vintage Customs built remote shift linkage with momo knob
• Radio deleted (the car is music-enough)
• Original seats (front and rear) included in serviceable shape

For the sake of full transparency, I should list any issues I've found or things I dislike:
• Emergency flasher relay needs replaced, though turn signals work without issue
• Unable to source new reservoirs for the master cylinders. The old ones work great, they're just a bit ugly for an engine bay which is otherwise so immaculate
• Similarly, the brake booster is original and shows some surface rust. It works great, doesn't look amazing.
Attached Images

gmjohns likes this.

1972 GTV- Terry Tinney-built motor/transmission, Custom 1750 Interior, and a whole lotta love

Last edited by cavilry; 08-19-2019 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Price change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:25 PM

Garage
Wasn’t this on BaT
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I noted that in the ad. Though it’s a bit wordy so I can see how that would be missed.

1972 GTV- Terry Tinney-built motor/transmission, Custom 1750 Interior, and a whole lotta love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:55 PM

Garage
Bid to $41.5. I think the market has plateaued for now. Good luck with the sale.
nunki likes this.

''Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines"- Enzo Ferrari
"Back in my day, tires were skinny and the drivers were fat"- Fangio
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilry View Post

Full info below, but essentially I went in and rebuilt every part of this car with (what I felt) were all of the best parts from the best "experts." I built the car I wanted and understand if it's not to everyone's tastes but I believe the work quality is above reproach. Terry Tinney built the motor and transmission and Vintage Customs finished off the interior, electrical, and fuel. Yes, it was that saga. I have receipts and invoices for about $70,000 of the work, but am missing a few from some of the random work/parts. For what it's worth, I'm at about $75,000 invested beyond the price of the car.

The car is located in Santa Cruz, CA, tucked nicely in my garage. I am not in a rush to sell it but will certainly do so for the right price to the right buyer. I am asking $65,000 but am open to offers. I will attach some photos but have plenty more available by request, along with the aforementioned invoices. I also have progress photos showing nearly all of the work (body, interior, carbs, wheels, etc.) Yes, this car was on Bring A Trailer but had an unsuccessful auction. Someone came in immediately with a big-boy bid and successfully scared others off from bidding (or so it seems to me) and the reserve was not met.
Honestly, long-time Alfa owners in the U.S. have endured decades of spending two to five times the amount of money restoring and maintaining a car than it is worth on the open market.

That is to say that you spent $75K while the current market for your car is circa $40K is kind of familiar territory for many of us.

Nonetheless, I hope you find a buyer.

Last edited by nunki; 07-25-2019 at 06:47 PM.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

I’m assuming all these comments are good natured, but if you’re simply coming into my ad to say “people lose money on cars” or “looks like the markets topped out” I would ask you why? I’m trying to sell this vehicle to help provide for my family since a two-seat car is hard to justify with a baby in the home, not because I’m some speculator or someone trying to funnel money into my next car.

If you’ve looked at any recent GTV auctions, $60-70k is not uncommon over the last few months and no, they weren’t all un-modified restorations. Maybe mine isn’t worth that, who knows. I do know that a rust-free, blemish free, well sorted car with an engine built by one of the more respected builders is worth something.

If it’s not worth it to you, no worries! But coming on here to put out for all the world to see that you think it’s only worth x...truly not helpful or appreciated. Thanks!
MickeyH and Scrambles like this.

post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:16 AM

Garage
All I did was state a personal opinion, which I’m entitled to.
Good luck with the sale.
nunki likes this.

''Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines"- Enzo Ferrari
"Back in my day, tires were skinny and the drivers were fat"- Fangio
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
...since a two-seat car is hard to justify with a baby in the home...
Please don't take this the wrong way, but with a little one myself I'm considering a GTV specifically because they have backseats. I see yours doesn't, but is there something preventing that? Are GTV backseats really that unusable? I swear I've seen 4 adults in them before...though none of them looked that comfortable.
alfaman1963 likes this.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

cavilry

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloway View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, but with a little one myself I'm considering a GTV specifically because they have backseats. I see yours doesn't, but is there something preventing that? Are GTV backseats really that unusable? I swear I've seen 4 adults in them before...though none of them looked that comfortable.
Haha! I have definitely had 4 adults in a GTV before but no, not very comfortable. Nothing preventing putting the back seat back in on this car other than removing the leather parcel shelf first. Now, fitting a diaper bag, stroller, and a wife in at the same time...that I'm not so sure on.

I guess what I should have said was: I can't justify having a "fun" car in the garage when we're trying to make it work in California on one income. My daily driver/commuter is relatively enjoyable (2009 John Cooper Works Mini Cooper S) so I'm trying to just force myself to enjoy that on the very rare occasion I get out for a quick twisty drive.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:41 PM

BAT wasn't kind to this build. Vintage Customs seems to have seriously screwed you over (your patience with them was saint level). Sometimes life just happens. This is a really individual build, and you are going to have to find the right buyer to get back most of what you sunk into this.

If it makes you feel better, your thread on this build and the VC issues kept Darren off of here for last few years. And his reputation likely will make any coming-back a bit troublesome....

GLWS. I really hope this hasn't ruined you on vintage builds forever.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:29 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by balloway View Post
The back seat is not useful for anything except groceries and small children in a child's seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopdahl View Post
BAT wasn't kind to this build. Vintage Customs seems to have seriously screwed you over (your patience with them was saint level). Sometimes life just happens. This is a really individual build, and you are going to have to find the right buyer to get back most of what you sunk into this.

If it makes you feel better, your thread on this build and the VC issues kept Darren off of here for last few years. And his reputation likely will make any coming-back a bit troublesome....

GLWS. I really hope this hasn't ruined you on vintage builds forever.
Darren has been gone from here for a very long time. It probably was around the time the Papajam's car got stolen from from Darren's place of business. His name was mud from that day forward. He's screwed over a fair number of folks. Many of them have kept quiet for personal reasons.
quadrifolio likes this.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:30 PM

Of all the bad behavior called out by the mods.....
Where are they now?
You have a wonderful car! I got the best money from a Guilia Sedan when listed on ebay.
cavilry and Scrambles like this.

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 03:02 PM

The BB is a terrible place to sell a car. Since BAT has been tried, you will have more bites from Ebay or Hemmings. The photos used on the BAT auction were not flattering at all, and it only was when the Hushypuppy photos were uploaded that one got a sense how nice this GTV really is. I would re-shoot the car in a couple of different places and ditch the photos done by the "professional" photographer.

In the meantime, drive the car and try to enjoy it. Taking it on driving tours or to car shows is a great way to get exposure for the vehicle and you might find a buyer that way. Since you are in Santa Barbara, there are plenty of car related events in the area.
nunki likes this.

Last edited by Zinhead; 07-19-2019 at 03:09 PM.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 03:12 PM

I like your car and you should get your price but, it takes time. I used to own two 1750 GTV's and like how you modified your car.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I’m assuming all these comments are good natured, but if you’re simply coming into my ad to say “people lose money on cars” or “looks like the markets topped out” I would ask you why? I’m trying to sell this vehicle to help provide for my family since a two-seat car is hard to justify with a baby in the home, not because I’m some speculator or someone trying to funnel money into my next car.
If it’s not worth it to you, no worries! But coming on here to put out for all the world to see that you think it’s only worth x...truly not helpful or appreciated. Thanks!
"Why" you ask, well, for one thing, this is a BB for Alfa owners. It is the habit and practice on this board to discuss Alfa cars. If you find this offensive then you have posted your ad in the wrong place. (You placed your ad on a bb that Alfa car appraisers subscribe to. You really don't think that your car won't be appraised???)

(It is clear that your BAT auction drew comments that contain opinions that members of this board are now giving you. See below. )

You telling us to "shut up" and not offer advice is offensive and a sure-fire way for dissuading some of us who might otherwise have mentioned or looked over your car for those we know looking for a GTV to not even both.

You've got a great story but an old one and far from unique. I don't think that your story would compel anyone to buy your GTV (I'm saying that your restoration horror story could be off-putting to a potential buyer. Stop telling it.)

You've got a nice enough GTV that was clearly built to your taste. You might not have noticed that for the last few years the majority of first-time buyers of vintage GTVs are paying the big bucks for the ones restored to "factory original". You've got to find the buyer who wants your creation. But you know that.

So you listed it on BAT (the photos used in the BAT auction did the cars no favors. The reflections from the ground made it look like the paint had a lot of flaws.)

Have you tried:
  • cars and coffee with a for sale sign in the window? (I've sold two restored GTVs at this venue.)
  • eBay?
  • a car broker?
  • an auction house that does Pebble Beach in August? A few top dollar sales of GTV in recent years and in your backyard.

We are just trying to help.
Attached Images

alfaman1963 likes this.

Last edited by nunki; 07-21-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode