For Sale 1972 GTV - Fully Built Vintage Customs/Terry Tinney - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:18 AM

Let me know in a couple decades if you regret selling it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:22 AM

Garage
“Hey, hon, BAT auction bombed. Maybe the AlfaBB will be a more sympathetic venue,...” lol
Sorry, can’t help but think you are shaking your head at this point. My sympathies.

I will add that my deep rooted love of Alfa’s was growing up with my Dads 67 GTV. My brother n I would climb in the back, my dad would slide the seat back, n off we’d go. As I got older I’d sit up front n shift for him as he drove to work. My stepmom, sitting in the back, was always amazed I could tell when to shift by listening to the engine. I was 8 n I still have that car, 48 years later.

I’ve got 3 boys, all who were raised around me racing the GTV, catching lizards at the track n causing havoc as only 3 boys can mastermind. I guess what I’m trying to say is memories are priceless n no amount of money will ever replace the experience you share together. Your passion is contagious n your children will absorb it, n laugh together about it ( with you n at you ) n remember it. Ive been lucky to have so many surround cars, motorcycles, surfing n camping. You may think it’s selfish to keep it but I’d say from my experience that it’s far from it. Might surprise you later on how lucky you were that it didn’t find a new home. Life is funny that way. Cheers.
Attached Images

Schuey, doug s., goats and 4 others like this.

Peter Inshaw 59 Touring Spider 2.0, 63 Spider 1600, 67 GTV 1750, 67 Giulia Super Project, 73 Berlina TS, 91 Spider Veloce, 2018 Stelvio TI Sport
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

cavilry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G View Post
Let me know in a couple decades if you regret selling it.
Of course I will! I regret the thought of it today. That doesn't necessarily make it the wrong decision.
goats likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:15 PM

Actually, it does, in my case. And maybe for you too, but time will tell.
I now have had 5 roundtails and wish I had my first bondo beautiful 1969. I made that car perfect with my soul in it. The young almost never listen if they are like me, and are welcome to make their own mistakes. That is what being young is, a life of good and bad decisions awaits.

You see my car in my avatar. Who knows if it is still around. Sold it to someone for my brothers roundtail. MISTAKE!
JJr likes this.

Last edited by Dr.G; 07-26-2019 at 03:49 PM.
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:25 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G View Post
Actually, it does, in my case. And maybe for you too, but time will tell.
I now have had 5 roundtails and wish I had my first bondo beautiful 1969. I made that car perfect with my soul in it, just as I have the current THREE. My current cars are all better, but my soul was in the first. The young almost never listen and are welcome to make their own mistakes. That is what being young is, a life of good and bad decisions awaits.
My cars are all better than what I see except Ossodiseppias, but still not sure if Brian drives his. Little friendly jab there amigo Brian.
You see my car in my avatar. Who knows if it is still around. Sold it to someone for my brothers roundtail. MISTAKE!
Thank you for the kudos, Wes. I feel certain your cars are as perfect as they can be.

I drive the car, occasionally. I've put 1000 miles on it since getting it back on the road. I don't like car shows, so I'll more than likely never show it. My drives are primarily in the morning when it's cool out. Some of the time, its a 25 minute drive to the gas station to get some ethanol free gas.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Howdy all, I hope the summer has been treating you well!

After some heavy soul-searching, I've dropped the price down to $60,000, which is basically my "wait and see" price. I am hoping someone will come along for whom having all of the work done, and done right, will be worthwhile. That was what I was after, fixing everything so I didn't have to worry about rust, motor fatigue, synchros, wiring, tuning headaches, etc. etc. etc.

Until that someone comes along, I'll keep enjoying the monthly quick zip around the mountain roads and staring longingly at the car in the garage.

1972 GTV- Terry Tinney-built motor/transmission, Custom 1750 Interior, and a whole lotta love

Last edited by cavilry; 08-19-2019 at 11:33 AM.
post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:37 PM

Good on Ya!
Very early in my teaching career I bought my 1st GTV, a '73 that was around $6500 new out of Peter Satori's shop in Pasadena. I'd still have it if a Cadillac hadn't shortened it significantly 20 years later. Totaled, got I got $10K for it from the insurer (not including medical). I bought it back for $50, stripped all the good stuff off it including Ward and Deanne springs and a Dave Vegher motor. The 2/3's of the shell that was viable got sold to Alfa Ricambi for $100 and shipped to N. Italy.
A couple months later in '93 I found a nice '74 for $9K, bought it, put the good stuff on it and finished off my teaching career in it. Both cars were daily drivers and AROSC Time Trial cars. At retiring in 2006 I sold my '74 to my middle son (family discount) and bought a '71 out of Arizona for $20K. That car required a new motor after about 10 years of time trialing ...with my son and I trading race positions...on the various AROSC tracks. The new motor installation quickly led to a bare metal restoration. Too much $? I don't know about that.
My wife and I always had a GTV. We also had 5 kids, 3 boys and 2 girls.
The three boys took an interest in driving the Alfas...sometimes on dates, sometimes just to drive. As mentioned one still drives with me at the tracks...and he takes my 5 yr old grandson (in his Recaro youth seat), out for spins in the mountains. How does a family put a tag on that? We had other cars for getting the family about. First a '74 Berlina (2 kids and a baby to Yellowstone and back), then a Plymouth Voyager (2 teens and 2 kids and again a Rocky Mountain sojourn) and finally a Chevy Suburban (5 mixed teens and kids up to Glacier to Vancouver and down the West Coast back).
My son's GTV and mine could go for $35K-$60K but they won't...they're not for sale, not for a long time...
Maybe something like that is in the cards for you too.

P.S. We were at the San Marino Motor Classics for the last 4 years and have been asked what we'd sell them each for. We always say too high a quote, BUT a few people seemingly entertain the idea and leave their #.
maxnix and Pedroplaya like this.

Andy Steben '71 1750 GTV (daily driver & track day car)
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

That is definitely a story I'd love to have! Unfortunately, while my wife supports my love of motorsports, she has no interest in it. And frankly, I'm a bit of a scatter brain when it comes to hobbies and the one my wife has gotten behind the most is surfing. This means that we most often load up in the 1968 VW Bus (I rebuilt that one myself) and cruise to the water.

I don't know why, but for some reason my desire to be at the track has dwindled. Perhaps it was the large (forced) gap between getting my car done that let the flame burn out, but I'd rather be out in the woods or down at the water these days. I was a diehard gear head from my first dirt bike (10 years old) through my rebuilding of old Full-Sized Jeeps and vintage Honda motorcycles in my late teens and early 20's. It carried me through to laboring on the Alfa through my mid-20s but something snuffed out the flame.

My daily driver is a 2009 John Cooper Works Mini Cooper S and I get enough kicks driving over the Santa Cruz mountains every day to work. I still enjoy cruising to morning car meets when time allows to gawk at the eye candy, but I can do that in my Bus and still be accepted in most Cars 'n Coffee lots.

Kid number 2 is coming down the pipeline (poor turn of phrase) and I need to make tough calls to whittle down "MY" hobbies and focus on "OUR" hobbies. If I'm honest with myself, I don't think I have the drive to turn us into a track family.

1972 GTV- Terry Tinney-built motor/transmission, Custom 1750 Interior, and a whole lotta love
post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 03:04 PM

People need to do what they love. More power to you. (I think you'll get a good price.)

Andy Steben '71 1750 GTV (daily driver & track day car)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode