For Sale 1972 GTV - Fully Built Vintage Customs/Terry Tinney - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:42 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunki View Post
Dear car owner: my comments are not veiled, thinly or otherwise.

You made a statement about the market price of highly modified GTV and my research uncovered an after-auction post by the winner of a BAT auction that at $66K happened to be the highest price paid for a highly modified, non-race prepped GTV. It is out there for the world to see. As is BAT's chart on GTV auction prices.

Sorry for bringing it to your attention.

Good luck with your sale.
No dog in this fight but these highly modified road cars sell for north of $200k so not sure id take comments on BAT as gospel.

https://www.alfaholics.com/our-cars/...020/completed/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

I am open to offers! You didn’t make an offer, you made an unsolicited appraisal for the world to see.
gmjohns, Scrambles and Stradale1! like this.

1972 GTV- Terry Tinney-built motor/transmission, Custom 1750 Interior, and a whole lotta love

Last edited by cavilry; 07-22-2019 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Smiley not showing
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilry View Post
I am open to offers! 😁 You didn’t make an offer, you made an unsolicited appraisal for the world to see.
Just leave him be. No-one with any sense is paying attention to it. It's a great car and i am sure you will find the right buyer at the right price!

Well done by the way on a quality restoration and for sticking with it!
cavilry likes this.

Current: 1971 US GTV 1750 - Undergoing restoration 1967 US Giulia Ti 1600
Long ago gone: 1974 Berlina 2000 (RHD) - AUS - my much loved college car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 05:52 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Hey folks, let's not turn this into a long drawn out discussion on the value of the car. It's his car and he can set the price. We all know that prices on these cars have been all over the place ad it's really hard to predict a final value.

The seller has been kind, considerate and forthright. If you want to state your opinion, fine. Let's just not grind away on him or each other.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:19 AM

Its getting late, but the OP could still list it at one of the many auctions occurring in Monterrey next month. Better yet, put some miles on the car, go to various shows (especially Concourso Italiano) or road rallies, make sure to post the results on social media and then list it at one of the Monterrey auction sites in 2020. After a year, you might decide to keep it.
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:50 AM

Garage
@cavilry You certainly have been one of the most forthright sellers I have read about. The car is well documented and no mystery. That said, you have the audience of a resto mod...Done!!! Or a classic guy such as myself , thinking... hey for not much money I can do X. I do agree with some of the posters ....the car has to be seen.. good luck!!! (Check my thread out on my spider resto, I am hoping to finish before I die) .
101/105guy and cavilry like this.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 04:25 PM

Garage
As a follow-up Ralph Gilles is the head of design for FCA and he and his wife are true Car guys. They not only attended this year’s Cortile at the Pittsburgh Vintage GP but they brought their Resto-Mod Alfa GTV. He is working on a restomod Viper project....
Attached Images

cavilry and Scrambles like this.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom

Last edited by Tom Frasca; 07-22-2019 at 05:06 PM.
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:16 PM

Garage
Agree BAT wasnt kind to you , but dont give up. Not sure who the 40k bidder was, but it kinda killed the mood for a long time. Couple tips, if I may. Redo the photos, make videos of walk around, cold start & driving, spirited in this case. More than one if you can ( i know they are a pain to upload If you have invoices from Terry, add them. His work is of real value to those who know him, add a link to his site for those that dont. To me, its what makes the car stand out over all else, besides being a beautiful color. Good luck with it n happy selling.
cavilry and Backto105 like this.

Peter Inshaw 59 Touring Spider 2.0, 63 Spider 1600, 67 GTV 1750, 67 Giulia Super Project, 73 Berlina TS, 91 Spider Veloce, 2018 Stelvio TI Sport
post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:57 PM

Garage
I too have had medium luck on BAT, bought a great Alfa Race car, but did badly when selling a Mini race car - it's a bit of a crap shoot for some models.

Apart from what Peter says i do have a very trusted friend in Pleasanton Ca. who owns "Classic Cars Ltd" - his name is Paul and i have done a few transactions with him over the years and he is a real car guy - check his web site out and give him a call he will give you an honest opinion and a path to go down to get a good result (no affiliation, just like and know the guy !!)

Awesome car, good luck.
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all so very much for the insight and feedback! I will reach out to Paul and see what he says. I'll also get going on some better photos (thanks BaT "Premium" services).

Apologies if I came across rude in earlier posts...I may be a bit touchy on the subject I wrestled with selling my car for months, then tiptoed around BaT before finally nervously diving in head first. I was pretty darn disappointed and stressed with the results, and the idea of forcing myself to pursue other avenues to sell the car was daunting. Luckily my wife has been supportive and understanding throughout the process and has never once asked me to sell the car...I just know that it's the right decision for the family.

Thanks again, all!
Capp likes this.

1972 GTV- Terry Tinney-built motor/transmission, Custom 1750 Interior, and a whole lotta love

Last edited by cavilry; 07-23-2019 at 08:40 AM.
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 03:16 PM

Cavilry - You have nothing to apologize for. I admire your character and your GTV. Best of luck
goats, redlinewins and cavilry like this.
post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Cavilry - You have nothing to apologize for. I admire your character and your GTV. Best of luck
Couldn't agree more.
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:30 PM

Living in Santa Cruz an obvious choice for you is the auction at Pebble Beach. Good advice I think on toughing up chappie. Millennials whine, and whining is not winning. The WW2 generation just toughed it out, and kept smiling as they kept working. Lots you and I can learn from them. Other people with average pocketbooks have been screwed too. Take a quicker sale for less money or hang onto it for a chance for more. Take your lumps and move on.

OR:

Park it at your parents, and buy a used four door. Honda, Toyota etc. You will age a few years, the remorse will lesson, and you will not regret selling something for mere dollars you put so much into.
I regret selling my first Alfa as do many others. You probably will first ignore me, but in two decades wish you had listened.

Writing those checks was tough wasn't it, but you are not alone.
Steve105 and JJr like this.

Last edited by Dr.G; 07-23-2019 at 05:54 PM.
post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:11 PM

What does the market want more of? restored cars? modified cars/hybrid? I think it changes with time.
Some companies only restore cars to sell, while others only build 'to order' hybrid/modified cars.
The mildly modified cars come with statements like original parts come with the car(wheels, engine etc) to entice the restorer to buy it to turn it back to original. There are tides of original parts flowing around the world where people are trying to reinstate their car to original specifications. Some buyers are buying to enjoy/invest to later pass on to family rarely selling, can easily sell if they really have to the largest possible market to the people that want a restored car/investment car.
Cars like your car highly modified are part of Alfa Romeo culture it sometimes is really popular and sometimes it's not. Since most people want to personalize their car their way using good repairers as you have adds value, so good luck in selling your car.

Last edited by Steve105; 07-23-2019 at 06:19 PM.
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G View Post
Living in Santa Cruz an obvious choice for you is the auction at Pebble Beach. Good advice I think on toughing up chappie. Millennials whine, and whining is not winning. The WW2 generation just toughed it out, and kept smiling as they kept working. Lots you and I can learn from them. Other people with average pocketbooks have been screwed too. Take a quicker sale for less money or hang onto it for a chance for more. Take your lumps and move on.

OR:

Park it at your parents, and buy a used four door. Honda, Toyota etc. You will age a few years, the remorse will lesson, and you will not regret selling something for mere dollars you put so much into.
I regret selling my first Alfa as do many others. You probably will first ignore me, but in two decades wish you had listened.

Writing those checks was tough wasn't it, but you are not alone.
Trust me when I say I am not your typical millennial, whatever that means. I don't believe many people would classify me as whiny...at least I hope not. I can't really state my position any more clearly: I put X into my car and unless I can get Y, I won't sell it. Whether people are willing to pay Y is totally out of my control or, frankly, concern. At some point someone will say "hey, that's the car I want and I'd rather save some money and time by having the work already done!" When that happens, someone will get the car they want and I will get the money I feel is warranted. And if that doesn't happen, provided our circumstances don't change, I'll just enjoy the car on the odd weekend I get to take it out.

I have my daily driver modern car (and I bought my wife her nice comfy SUV) and that's kind of the point, I can't justify a "fun" car that the family can't enjoy together. I was originally looking to sell my 1968 VW Bus I rebuilt myself, but I realized that is something we can all enjoy as a family. The Alfa is my "selfish" car and it's amazing how fast (at least for me) the desire to be selfish fades once you have a child.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode