For Sale 1972 GTV - Fully Built Vintage Customs/Terry Tinney - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:42 AM

I’d say: Keep it! Or, don’t sell it because of useability. I had a 1979 GTV (the Giugario one, not nearly as pretty or classic your Bertone). I used it as my daily driver and on long vacation runs with 2 children (and my wife). I still miss it.

When I was a kid, my family had an original Mini and drove on many vacations (2 adults, 2 kids, a german sheperd and luggage).

It really is possible.

So, unless you really need to sell it, keep it. You have a great looking car in outstanding condition. It is obviously finished to your liking and will very dificult to replace.

Keep it :-)

Last edited by integrale; 07-20-2019 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Added clarity...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

No...I didn’t think that people would appraise my car in the classifieds section of the forum. I figured that would be left to “what’s it worth” posts and other sections. Or, as a number of members have done who were trying to help, via a private message. Never in my 17 years of car forums has it occurred to me to publicly question someone’s asking price.

My car was built with the best of everything I could find at the time. No, it’s not to everyone’s tastes but if you look on BaT you will clearly see that stock cars are not the only ones bringing on big dollars. I built the car to a level that, I believe, commands a premium. I have a dollar amount I can stomach losing, and if I can’t sell it for that I’ll have to figure out something else.

If it’s not worth it to you, no worries! If you have some tips to offer, offer them! If your tips include “hey, it’s really only worth x” then please just shoot me a message or keep it to yourself. Your opinion on its value is just that, your opinion (yes it may be based on your expertise on the cars, patrolling of online forums and sale sites, or whatever but it’s still your opinion). And it most assuredly doesn’t help to put it out for all to see.

1972 GTV- Terry Tinney-built motor/transmission, Custom 1750 Interior, and a whole lotta love

Last edited by cavilry; 07-20-2019 at 07:07 AM.
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:21 AM

Garage
I totally agree that there is a place for that and it shouldn't be in the classifieds. I miss the newspaper print ad days. GLWS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilry View Post
No...I didn’t think that people would appraise my car in the classifieds section of the forum. I figured that would be left to “what’s it worth” posts and other sections. Or, as a number of members have done who were trying to help, via a private message. Never in my 17 years of car forums has it occurred to me to publicly question someone’s asking price.

My car was built with the best of everything I could find at the time. No, it’s not to everyone’s tastes but if you look on BaT you will clearly see that stock cars are not the only ones bringing on big dollars. I built the car to a level that, I believe, commands a premium. I have a dollar amount I can stomach losing, and if I can’t sell it for that I’ll have to figure out something else.

If it’s not worth it to you, no worries! If you have some tips to offer, offer them! If your tips include “hey, it’s really only worth x” then please just shoot me a message or keep it to yourself. Your opinion on its value is just that, your opinion (yes it may be based on your expertise on the cars, patrolling of online forums and sale sites, or whatever but it’s still your opinion). And it most assuredly doesn’t help to put it out for all to see.
Karter7 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:58 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Alfabb should look at Ferrarichat updated rules to see how they handled classifieds. It helped to stop the issues here.

Richard

1969 1750 Spider Veloce USA AR1480672 Engine 00551 01163 Red / Black - work in progress
1978 Ferrari 308 GTS #26355 Red/Tan FCA Platinum Winner Pacific Region

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm2504me View Post
Alfabb should look at Ferrarichat updated rules to see how they handled classifieds. It helped to stop the issues here.
Our Australian Alfa club forum has a no comments rule on for sale ads. It works.
lm2504me, gmjohns, Karter7 and 1 others like this.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:27 PM

Garage
What a novel idea.......for sale ads that are just that. What a concept! (this space left blank intentionally)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie57 View Post
Our Australian Alfa club forum has a no comments rule on for sale ads. It works.
Capp, pinshaw, lm2504me and 2 others like this.
post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:19 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guillotineFI View Post
This "for sale" thread should be removed by the moderators.
Not doing so is irresponsible. People just have no common sense.
We don't remove posts or ads like this one unless there is a rules violation. So far, there have been no rules violations, only comments from other members.

We are actually more responsible than you think. We take our roles seriously and comments such as this are not constructive.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:35 AM

Ferrarichat might also be a good place to list it for sale.
post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm2504me View Post
Are you referring to this Ferraichat?

The forum owners reversed the "no-comment" policy after about four months: See revised the policy. So as of May 2019 comments are back, but they never really left, it was by gentleman's agreement that we were to refrain from commenting.

Suggestions about how to configure the Alfabb should be taken to the appropriate forum.

With that said, no-comments-classifieds has been discussed repeatedly on this forum, BAT or eBay, that is the question. If it is decided to go with no-comments-classified ads then Alfabb should charge for placement of the ads. At least $100.

I'm for allowing comments in for-sale post, to remove them would kill the hobbyist side of the site and shift the burden to the moderators and administrators to both render an opinion and take action in a timely fashion against scammer post and those that describe their cars in a less than truthful way. It shifts the liability from the community to the moderators.

How about no classified ads at all? (we had to go this route early in 2004 on a jaguar forum after a member sued us because they bought a car whose condition they thought was misrepresented in the listing.)

BTW, commenters on this auction voiced their concerns about the lack of break-in miles, etc. Good that the buyer had the knowledge and money to fix the problems.
Attached Images

Last edited by nunki; 07-21-2019 at 06:29 PM.
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 01:55 PM

Garage
Information about the car and speculating on it's value are two entirely different things. This gentleman is trying to sell his car for a price (after what sounds like a horrible experience and $$$$$) and as an onlooker, there should be some common courtesies. In fact, life altogether would be better if there were more consideration for others especially since we all (here) have so much in common.
AutodeltaGTA and specracer77 like this.
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:24 PM

Yes, it is quite common on a lot of sites to downgrade a car with the hope of dissuading interested buyers and buying it for less themselves. Or for some, just showing off their sometimes obvious lack of knowledge. At least BAT changed their rules on comments to reduce this!

Now Ferrarichat is mostly about complaints on the high cost and low quality of old Ferraris!
Tom Frasca likes this.

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:37 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I agree with Zinhead specifically : keep exposing it to the public... Your best bet for offers is a newbie that falls in love and has to have it.
A jaded alfa guy like me that understands the value of the work might bite closer to what you are looking for , but it would have to be exactly the right time and place. . . I suggest you just wait it out if you can.

I recently bought a GTV from a guy that spent $55k "restoring it." the body was accident free and as dry and low rust as I've ever seen. Unfortunately the "fresh engine" build had some botched setup, the A Arms were on backwards, half of the electrics didn't work, and probably my biggest peeve: the "resto" shop sandblasted all of the fasteners without any following treatment. . . There was more rust on the suspension bolt heads and nuts that on the all of the body sheetmetal.
Some people relish laying out the problems while angling for a good deal, but I found it very uncomfortable in this case. . . probably ended up giving the guy a few more $k more than should of. All I could think about at the time was the bodywork grief my first gtv gave me and how I never wanted to do that again. If I had lost my GTVs in a forest fire or flood and came across yours, I would probably shell out $60k...either case : right time, right place = people will pay
cavilry likes this.

Pedro Playa
'73 GTV
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the info and conversation. I do sincerely appreciate the sentiments and advice. But yes, commentary on my asking price in a public space seems unnecessary...tone deaf at best, knowingly undermining at worst.

I love the BB and wouldn’t presume to say how things should be done. I do, however, think moderators might want to think through unsolicited commentary on pricing.

Nunki , your thinly veiled comments in my direction aren’t missed. I don’t know what set you off, but I wish you the best.

1972 GTV- Terry Tinney-built motor/transmission, Custom 1750 Interior, and a whole lotta love
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjohns View Post
Information about the car and speculating on it's value are two entirely different things. This gentleman is trying to sell his car for a price (after what sounds like a horrible experience and $$$$$) and as an onlooker, there should be some common courtesies. In fact, life altogether would be better if there were more consideration for others especially since we all (here) have so much in common.
Subsequent posts by the owner make it clear that when he wrote in his first post "open to offers" doesn't mean what I have always thought it to mean.

Clearly stating that the price is "firm" goes a long way on this forum in limiting comments about how appropriate the list price is. Then the owner only gets "California complements" and everyone is happy.

Also, telling others the mistakes you've made in restoring a car then trying to sell it is, from my perspective, being considerate. I was thoroughly and early on taught the lesson that it was foolish to think that if I paid X to restore a car then surely someone would buy the car for at least X.

I've seen no posts in this thread or even on BAT that even comes close to criticizing the workmanship or work done on this GTV That is, I don't see anyone denigrating what the owner did simply to get a better deal.

Best of luck.

Last edited by nunki; 07-21-2019 at 06:55 PM.
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilry View Post
Nunki , your thinly veiled comments in my direction aren’t missed. I don’t know what set you off, but I wish you the best.
Dear car owner: my comments are not veiled, thinly or otherwise.

You made a statement about the market price of highly modified GTV and my research uncovered an after-auction post by the winner of a BAT auction that at $66K happened to be the highest price paid for a highly modified, non-race prepped GTV on BAT. It is out there for the world to see. As is BAT's chart on GTV auction prices.

Sorry for bringing it to your attention.

Good luck with your sale.

Last edited by nunki; 07-25-2019 at 06:39 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode