For Sale 74 Spider Not Perfect But Excellent Driver - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

74 Spider Not Perfect But Excellent Driver

Alfa Spider convertible -

2.0L- 4 cylinder, 5 speed transmission with original Spica fuel injection system.

Updated suspension including lowered performance springs, Koni shocks and rear sway bar.

Car comes with Euro front light conversion with covered headlight covers, BWA alloy wheels, Role bar, tonnue cover and upgraded Stereo.

NO rust or other issues - perfect jack posts/floors/rockers/trunk.

Resent cloth top replacement - EVERYTHING electrical works. Engine, brakes and drivetrain operate like they should No transmission issues and it rides and handles great with the upgraded suspension. Fresh synthetic engine/transmission/differential fluids. Many new and upgraded parts.

This is last year produced with stainless aesthetically pleasing bumpers.

This is a Great fun driver - Not a show car but performs and presents itself very well.

$ 9,800 or best offer - questions call

Chris D
585 330 5456
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

More Pics

Interior
Attached Images

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

More Pics 2

Additional pics
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

More Pics 3

Engine/underside
Attached Images

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:34 AM

Wow -- that looks nice!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

It's a 1973

Sorry - Just looked at the title.... [B]Its a 1973.[/B]

I've had its since 2010 and I forget the Little things....

Chris D
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:08 AM

Beautiful Spider. Was the giubo replaced? What's the mileage? Was that a repaint in the original color?

Last edited by ciao55; 06-11-2019 at 05:17 AM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Color

The previous owner did a complete respray of the car back in the 2000's to a much brighter period yellow - trunk/door jams/ engine bay/underside of trunk and hood lids - very nicely done. I had the car taken down and had the car resprayed the same color recently in a single stage yellow. Looks great and really pops with the cloth black top and trim.

Guido - Guido looks good - no cracks or vibrations while driving. I checked the U joints and diff. back lash too when I changed the tranny and diff fluids with Redline MTL and 80/90 synthetic.

While it was up I also changed the Spica rear fuel filter and the engine compartment filter as well as the Spica pump oil filter.

As far as the mileage.......
its an Alfa and I'm sure the original speedo cable broke after a few years and the replacement broke after that.... experience is required when installing a new cable to be careful to minimize the bend radius and make sure the exhaust heat shield is installed properly - and its a pain....
speedo head reads 48K - the cable was broken when I got it - since fixed with a new cable. The previous owner never bothered to fix it.

True mileage honestly ???

But with that it looks and runs great - no issues and I just did a compression test when I pulled it out this spring.

135/132/132/130 right where it should be for a 9:1 compression engine.

Call for other details.

Chris D
585 330 5456
Attached Images

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:37 AM

Thanks for the reply, nice honest car and seller.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:03 AM

Hey Chris, I like that your 74 has a 2.0 DOHC instead of the Carbureted engine. I’m interested but not at you’re $9+ asking price. Is the price negotiable My dad lives in Staten Island NY and I will Gladly drive upstate and pick this car up from You for the right price
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:03 PM

Garage
A couple questions for you.

1. How are the floor boards. Any rust? Any repair work?
2. Has the front been in any sort of an accident? How is the nose of the car? And body work under the paint?
3. Has the car been rear ended? From underneath, how does it look near the rear bumper? And how about the area between the rear bumper and rear axle?
4. How is the TA on the SPICA? Full extension?
5. How is the oil pressure when cold? And hot?
6. How high does the water temp get after 30 minutes of driving?
7. How is the paint from close up? Are there flaws and if so, what are they?
8. Any rust repair work done on the car? If so, can you show close ups?
9. How does the car start when cold? And when hot?
10. Seat belts and if so, can you show pictures? Does the retractor work properly?
11. Interior looks good. Can you let me know if there are any issues. Cracked dash? Cracked seat? Bad weather stripping? Rear view mirror clear or damaged? How does the floor look under the plastic floor mats?
12. Does the top close easily and align without pushing?
13. Does the top or do any seals leak?
14. Does the engine, tranny, radiator, overflow tank, brake lines,fuel lines, etc leak?

Thank you.

Greg
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:24 PM

I always smile when I see mention of floorboards.
Sure, there was a time when cars had floorboards, but it’s a bit like asking ‘how’s the thatching?’ on your house. No criticism intended.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

: )
asking the right questions you've been around these.....

I'm short on time - loading up to do Dyno testing in Indy then directly to Mid Ohio for test and SVRA race next week end so no time for lots of additional pics.

I bought the car 10 years ago out of Southern NJ -It came up while sourcing parts for My and customer race efforts. Nicest one I had seen at the time before the BS current $50 K restos on $15 K Alfas that seems to be common now - drove it briefly and stored it in the shop - starting /moved it a few times a year since

Just put it back on the road.

I had it re-shot by a resto shop I do fabrication for to make it look nicer for selling.

You should just fly out and check it out. Pictures and emails if your trying to deceive someone are pretty easy to do.... And if you truly are into this as your questions suggest and your Call ID implies you've been through it. Flight and a Look see are cheap to see what you are truly getting and you can still flip it for $ to cover shipping and the trip.

1. How are the floor boards. Any rust? Any repair work?

Floors are original - sound deadening scraped of and covered with black Chassis Saver to prevent rusting under mats - horse hair sound deadening pulled and a modern noise and heat barrier installed on drivers side.

2. Has the front been in any sort of an accident?

No
How is the nose of the car?

Right front bumper currently about a 1/4" misaligned - have to see if I can line up when back.

And body work under the paint?

come on - its a 40 something year old Alfa - can't tell from looking at it but I'm sure there are some sins - nicely repaired if its been kissed...

3. Has the car been rear ended?

? some previous repairs below /behind the seam/bumper but don't show - backed into a curb ??? SS bumper is fine - some surface scratches but with some elbow grease .... Looks fine

From underneath, how does it look near the rear bumper?

Above / fine And how about the area between the rear bumper and rear axle?

Not crushed if that's what your suggesting - no rust

4. How is the TA on the SPICA? Full extension?

Spica works fine

5. How is the oil pressure when cold? Fine - at the 60 PSI blow off when started and going down the road and idles at about 30 PSI

And hot?

Drops to ~50 idle 20 +

6. How high does the water temp get after 30 minutes of driving?

never gets above 180

7. How is the paint from close up? Are there flaws and if so, what are they?

No issues shows very well

Not a $10 K repaint on a $10 K car with two stage - but real nice single stage urethane. Looks great

8. Any rust repair work done on the car? If so, can you show close ups?

Not that we have done - looks better than 95% of all the Alfas out there...rocker and front/rear valence seams still there.

9. How does the car start when cold?

Two cranks - First - 3 second to prime - second crank usually fires right up

And when hot?

Immediately

10. Seat belts and if so, can you show pictures? Does the retractor work properly?

Stock system - works fine both side - pass has to retract 100% to extend but the lady has it figured out - getting better with use - no issues.

11. Interior looks good. Can you let me know if there are any issues.

Cracked dash?

One crack at right side Vent.

Cracked seat?

Yes - Pass seat should be recovered - separated at seams

Bad weather stripping?

No

Rear view mirror clear or damaged?

Works but hazzy

How does the floor look under the plastic floor mats?

PERFECT

12. Does the top close easily and align without pushing?

Easy like all Alfas

13. Does the top or do any seals leak? No rear - looks great - BUT there was some water in the right rear parcel area behind the pass seat after a REALLY hard rain.

14. Does the engine, tranny, radiator, overflow tank,

No leaks - couple initially from the right front when I first took it out of storage but nothing now

brake lines,

OK - master is getting a bit spongy after a couple tanks of gas usage since out this year - I ordered a new one from Center Line - will install

fuel lines, etc leak?

Most fuel lines replaced when I did the filters - np leaks

That's it

Fly out - Drive home....

Give me your email - maybe I can get some floor pics out before I leave

( I probably wont post on line - Too much info for the Typical AlfBB person to understand and just leave Stupid comments )

Chris D
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:46 AM

Garage
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it!

Here's my email address: [email protected]

As you can tell, I am very interested, though I'm on the other coast. I flew out last week to see one in Nashville and was disappointed, though that one was a higher price range, so I expected more.

Greg
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

: )

The cost of a plane ticket is still cheaper then replacing one poorly "fixed/patched/rusted" panel....

Everyone has a different perspective. Some people ThinK that putting Bondo over rust means No rust....

So bring your magnet/compression tester and anything else you might need - nothing to hide.

I'll forward additional pics directly to the email.

Open trailer shipping coast to coast is pretty reasonable if you give the shipper a 2 week window.

Chris D
alfaman1963 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode