For Sale 85 GTV6 Street/track car, 260 HP - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

85 GTV6 Street/track car, 260 HP

PRICE DROP, now $16K

I have decided to sell my GTV6. It is an 85 model year, built in 1984. It was a desert car in Nevada until Richard Jemison bought it in Las Vegas in 2008 and brought it East. I bought it from Richard in 2009. Richard described it as the most rust free GTV6 that he had seen. I found one small rust patch in the rt. Front fender, behind the wheel arch and I cut it out and welded in a patch panel from EB Spares in the UK. The color was originally charcoal and it had been painted silver. I gave the car a face lift which is detailed here: https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alf...face-lift.html
I removed the old paint down to the original primer and had it painted silver. It is not a show car but it is a good ten footer. I found evidence of minor collision repair to the front left and right rear but no rust anywhere. I replaced the plastic tea tray with a louvered stainless tray and I installed louvers to the rear hatch. I retained the 16” TSW Hockenheim wheels which are straight and in good condition which I recently covered with Bridgestone Potenza RE71-R 205/50R16 tires.
INTERIOR
The desert sun had done a number on the interior and I replaced the seats, door panels, side panels, headliner (new) and dash with good used parts. I also replaced the Tachometer, Speedometer and clock with a good set that were in the same car as the dash. The original 3 point seat belts are installed and work fine and I have also installed a pair of Sparco 4 point harnesses which reside on the back seat when not in use.
ENGINE
I installed a 3L 164 motor that was built by Giussepe Lore for his son’s GTV6 and which had only done a few thousand miles when the car was totaled. It had “S pistons” and cams. I replaced the Bosch L-jet with a Megasquirt programmable management computer with matched larger injectors from Al Mitchell. I also installed RJ 429/82 cams, CSC headers plus 2.5” custom exhaust and a modified intake system including enlarged pleunum, Greg Gordon smooth hose and big Jetex filter installed in the compartment in front of the right wheel for cold air pickup. A Zat stayfast tensioner is installed and the water pump and timing belt have less than 5000 miles on them since they were installed in 11/16. The ignition is also controlled by Megasquirt with a Bosch ignition module and an MSD Blaster coil. I replaced the vane type AAV with a PWM motorized valve which is controlled by Megasquirt. The engine is cooled by a big aluminum radiator and an aluminum coolant reservoir and it does not overheat on the hottest days. The car made 214 rear wheel HP at 6000 rpm and 207 rear wheel ft lb at 5400 rpm on a Mustang dyno in April 2017. That is equivalent to about 260 HP and 250 ft-lb at the flywheel.
TRANSMISSION
Both flywheels were lightened by Richard Jemison. The transaxle is from a Milano Platinum and it was rebuilt by Richard with lightened gears. He media blasted the LSD clutch plates and set them up with the correct end float. The driveshaft is stock except for a reinforced center bearing housing from Al Mitchell. New clutch friction disk was installed 5/8/19.
SUSPENSION
I rebuilt the suspension with 27 mm torsion bars, RJ dropped spindle uprights, 27 mm blade type front sway bar, Shankle rear springs Koni yellow front shocks and SPAX adjustable rear shocks. All rubber bushings have been replaced with poly. All four inner and outer tie rod ends were replaced with new OEM parts. New boots for steering rack were installed 5/7/19.
BRAKES
New ATE rotors and Ferodo DS2500 pads were installed about a year ago. I also installed an adjustable proportioning valve to balance the rear brakes.
ELECTRICAL
The starter is a Brise axial that cost about $600 a year ago. Head lights are Hella and are on relays. Rear lights, brake lights and reversing lights are also on relays Brake light bulbs are LED. Radiator fans are twin 12” pushers. I removed the radio and front speakers and installed a radio blanking panel with a voltmeter and an electronic fuel pressure gauge. I installed a Zeitronix ZT3 wideband that is wired into the Megasquirt. There is space for a readout on the radio blanking panel. A serial to USB cable is included to program the Megasquirt from a laptop. The power windows and the outside mirrors all work. The rear defroster does not work. All other controls work.
OTHER
The Aircon did not work when I got the car and there were parts missing so I removed it. Only the evaporator and temperature control thermostat remain. I installed a new sun roof handle surround and the mechanism worked but it leaked. I sealed it with DAP caulk before the car was painted. The door handles are all good but the driver door lock is jammed. Two sets of keys are included.
ADDITIONAL PARTS
I can include any or all of the following in the deal: Milano Verde 24 mm front sway bar, Alfetta rear sway bar, pair of good 164 cylinder heads, speed shift handle, good rear hatch, power window regulators.

This GTV6 is solid and rust free. It is fast and it handles and brakes well and it makes a glorious sound. It has no leaks or unusual vibrations. It is located in Columbia SC. Asking price is now $16k.
Attached Images

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke

Last edited by alfaparticle; 05-13-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:26 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

GTV6

This is a very well finished & prepared car. Power quoted is honest and about equal to 300 West Coast HP

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:43 AM

I have driven this car at least twice and once on the Kershaw road course. It runs, drives, and sounds great. I cannot imagine there is a GTV6 available that has been more thoroughly sorted.

Rich Hanning
'65 Sprint GT, '78 Spider, '88 Quad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:55 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Wow! Beautiful car, I've watched this build from afar. This has got to be about as much fun as you can have in a street legal GTV6.

GLWTS,

bs
horsewidower and archeologist like this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Thanks Brian, The car appreciates your compliments.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Price Drop

I am motivated to sell this car and I have dropped the price to $16K.

A race driver at The Mitty offered me $4k for the engine as it makes more HP and torque than his 3L race motor.
gmjohns likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:37 PM

Send a message to Jeremy Clarkson. He may have worn his out if he still has it.

Stefano
Concord, CA
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Nice idea but the Brits probably have regulations that would make it fail an MOT test.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:34 AM

Any interior pictures? Was this car in Bayside NY area a few years ago?
Thanks
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:43 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Interior

The interior is beautiful!

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

The interior pictures do not do it justice but they give you an idea. As Richard posted it is very nice.

Also, I am about to replace the clutch friction disc as it started to slip under full throttle on the way back from Road Atlanta last weekend. I plan to install the snubber at the same time so that issue will be settled.
Attached Images

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:51 AM

Ed, Any sense how much you lower the ride height with this wheel/tire setup? Any reason you chose this height?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

The suspension is set so that the lower A arms are parallel to the ground under normal load. That gives the optimum geometry. The car is a little lower than stock due to the dropped spindle uprights which improve the camber gain during cornering. The Shankle springs probably lower the rear by about an inch, maybe 2. I have welded a skid plate onto the lowest part of the exhaust to protect it from bumps. I don't think it is practical to lower it anymore for road use and from a handling perspective there is nothing to be gained by further lowering unless the uprights were replaced with some with more drop. Richard Jemison will hopefully comment on that.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 01:03 PM

Thanks
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

One of the reasons that I need to sell the GTV6 is to make space in my 2 car garage for this. My Spider has the first berth.
Attached Images

horsewidower likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in