For Sale 1974 GTV - what is this car worth? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
1974 GTV - what is this car worth?

I was wondering what you guys thing this car is worth? The pictures are so-so and there's no idea how bad the underside is, nor can you tell much about the body, except for the dent behind the door, misaligned hood, missing front grille and bumper bent upward a little. They claim it's excellent condition, but it's obvious it isn't. They say it runs and drives, which doesn't say much. But price is $21K and I know they are willing to move on the price.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...0/2241582.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:58 PM
Platinum Subscriber

That car was on SF CL in El Cerrito, next door to Berkeley, for $15,000, a couple months ago. Sold almost immediately, but I don't know for how much.
You can't really say without seeing it in person. It has enough apparent issues that I wouldn't consider it without a close inspection.
Andrew
autobroker likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:23 PM

The car has a salvage title!!!
He was asking $16,500. I'll say worth $12K-$14K if no major rust.
autobroker likes this.

Last edited by nngtv; 04-18-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Salvage title is not good. He didn't disclose it, which is unethical, unless he discloses it after initial contact.

Salvage alone tells me to pass on it. Darn, I was hoping it would be okay.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:09 AM

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:58 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
I don't get the eBay listing and the Copart connection. I would pass on buying from the person advertising it and go directly to Copart.

A salvage title on a classic car isn't really the kiss of death. It could have suffered $1500 worth of damage twenty five years ago which may have been enough to total the car. Better to dig a little deeper on this one, before you pass on it.
autobroker likes this.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:47 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

autobroker: We can speculate about the fair value of this GTV, but honestly, it all comes down to how much rust and accident damage it has. From the photos, rust is a complete unknown. There is probably some accident damage - you mentioned "the dent behind the door, misaligned hood, missing front grille and bumper bent" - but we don't know how serious all this is.

So without an in-person inspection, we're really just guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nngtv View Post
I'll say worth $12K-$14K if no major rust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
That car was on SF CL in El Cerrito, next door to Berkeley, for $15,000, a couple months ago. Sold almost immediately
Getting an Alfa GT with no major rust for $12K-$14K seems a bit optimistic. Particularly if the seller is a flipper.
autobroker likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
autobroker: We can speculate about the fair value of this GTV, but honestly, it all comes down to how much rust and accident damage it has. From the photos, rust is a complete unknown. There is probably some accident damage - you mentioned "the dent behind the door, misaligned hood, missing front grille and bumper bent" - but we don't know how serious all this is.

So without an in-person inspection, we're really just guessing.

Getting an Alfa GT with no major rust for $12K-$14K seems a bit optimistic. Particularly if the seller is a flipper.
+100.

Can I ask a question - is this car for you or a "customer"?

Your username has me curious.

1966 Giulia Sprint $500 junk yard find. I probably overpaid...
1971 1750 Spider basket case , 1972 GTV 2.0 L
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobroker View Post
Salvage title is not good. He didn't disclose it, which is unethical, unless he discloses it after initial contact.

Salvage alone tells me to pass on it. Darn, I was hoping it would be okay.
Unlike the Hemmngs ad, the ebay ad indicates it has a Salvage title. Like Osso said, lots of reasons for a salvage title in the old days. Long term question: will it be worth buying and restoring with the salvage title? Great if you're going to keep it and drive it, might be a tough sell long term.
autobroker likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm thinking of purchasing it and partnering with my friend who owns a body shop. If it has too much rust, I don't want to buy it. If the frame is damaged badly, I'm out too. I saw what that poor guy got stuck with (the one who bought from BHCC) and it sure was sad. Lots of unknowns on this car, but before I head to Sacramento, I would ask for good pictures of the underside, jack points, spare tire well, rockers and frame rails. I'd also ask for a cold start video, compression and leak downs, video of cold 2nd gear up and down shift. I am interested in this car, but there's definitely some story to it and I don't like story cars. I also don't like buying salvage title cars, but I understand the possibility of it being an old salvage, thus not too badly damaged.

I can't believe the amount that people are selling these cars for. The one that sold on BAT for $31K had some questionable repairs. It had a nice pretty paint job - not perfect, but nice looking. Console missing and some other "odd" things. Plus seller was pushing like a used car salesman. I really do hope that the buyer is happy with his purchase.

Again, thanks to everyone for their input.

Greg
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Can I ask a question - is this car for you or a "customer"?

Your username has me curious.

Playing with these old cars is a hobby of mine. I don't broker them. My business is brokering mostly new, but some used cars. A lot more leases than before. I think it's due to the low payments, though lease payments have gone up quite a bit over the last few years.

You guys help feed my desire for owning/driving cool cars. It's a lot of fun for me and I love the mechanical feel of these old cars. I still like Porsches - who doesn't, right. But there's something very special about Alfa's. They have a personality and though many things are just wrong about them, the package as a whole is definitely right!

FYI, my collection is growing and I feel that parking money in old Alfa's is a good investment. Currently, I own a 1983 Spider, 1980 Spider (the one I drive most often), 1974 Spider (bought from someone here) and a 1971 Spider. Maybe another Spider (Boattail would be nice) or possible a GTV next???

Take care everyone and if you have additional insight into the GTV in question or you have input into GTV buying, I'm all ears!

Thank you.

Greg
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:15 AM

Garage
Looking at the Hemmings seller listing we find the seller has a large number of cars and many different makes-many are in Sacramento but many are all over the USA-so its hard to say if he is just taking over the selling duties for an owner tired of answering questions.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...=1238&start=30

Most of the prices are well below what's expected for clean cars so its worth considering only if you have the time and skills to inspect in person

Speaking of in person inspections-here's a tool we all should have before heading out. A USB boroscope that works with an Android or iPhone can be had for around $20-$30 on Amazon. With these you can take movies of the inside of the rocker panels or the doors etc. Mine is flexible and about 40 inches long so its handy as can be.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:17 PM

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...?lang=en&cc=gb

Another salvage car that is not disclosed.
alfaman1963 likes this.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:52 PM

In an old car expect some history regardless of what the title says. Unless it’s got an impeccable documented history you just judge it on how it is now. Give me a well maintained car that’s been in an accident and properly repaired over a poorly maintained one any day of the week.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:01 AM

Yes you are very correct nngtv! TRUST ME! Run as far away from that gold GTV as possible! That is a former Bay Area car. I would never say something like this if I wasn't 100% correct...

Now....93 164s, 91 164s, 91 164L, 79 spider, '31 Ford model A Rat Rod, 88 Milano 3.0, 87 testarossa, 05 SL600 twin turbo V-12, 82 GTV6-3.0, Dodge Ram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode