For Sale 1965 Giulia Spider 1600 - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:56 PM

Garage
Sometimes in life you gotta do what you gotta.
divotandtralee likes this.

''Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines"- Enzo Ferrari
"Back in my day, tires were skinny and the drivers were fat"- Fangio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:39 PM

You have to remember that BAT is a business, not a board. They make their money when items sell. If it gets pulled the there is no buyer's premium. They spell terms out on front end. I have had people want to buy a vehicle off of me after I entered it in an auction. I tell them to sign up and bid. I like to be known for taking the high road. If I was pulling stuff after consigning it to a sale, I'd be black listed too.
This was on eBay too. I was surprised to see it on BAT later. Usually they want fresh meat so to speak.
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

@Somer Thanks for your thoughts, I don't want to get into a tit for tat, should of done this or that conversation, the car is gone, its not coming back, and nothing is going to change, I had to do what I had to do. As for Ebay, a friend took the photo's and listed the car with out me knowing as a "surprise favor" , needless to say, I was surprised since I had just confirmed with BAT had accepting the car, he cleared it up with eBay upon my request.

Last edited by AlfaEvan; 04-16-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somer View Post
You have to remember that BAT is a business, not a board. They make their money when items sell. If it gets pulled the there is no buyer's premium. They spell terms out on front end. I have had people want to buy a vehicle off of me after I entered it in an auction. I tell them to sign up and bid. I like to be known for taking the high road. If I was pulling stuff after consigning it to a sale, I'd be black listed too.
This was on eBay too. I was surprised to see it on BAT later. Usually they want fresh meat so to speak.
Not quite ...they make money even it it doesn't "sell".. the whole enchilada. Read the terms. Yes they lost out on a 5% commission on something that could have been. No big loss for them other than prepping the listing. They still got $99 for coffee and donuts and lost a seller ... until his uncle shows up with a car. Fat chance.
AlfaEvan likes this.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 04-16-2019 at 02:55 PM.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:43 PM

True, they did generate some income. I don't think $99.00 per consignor is going to keep them buoyant though. They do a lot of advertising too to support their auctions. They have writers and IT staff to maintain pix, credit card transactions, daily emails & ETC. They choose a vehicle that they think will sell and put it up. They try to get you to put a low reserve on it so it will sell. Just like any auction company. They have to wade through thousands of submissions of POS that people think are solid gold. For everyone they take, they turn down another. Mind you, they do cater to a broad spectrum of price ranges. Otherwise it would be "Bring a Ferrari or a Zagato". I can't tell you how many people I'll be looking at their motorcycle and they'll say "I'm going to put it on BAT". It use to be ,"I'm going to take it to Barret Jackson " or "I'm going to put it on eBay".
I'm certainly sorry for the situation that brought Evan to sell this. We all are faced with tough decisions in life. I realize he was put in a door number one V. door number two situation.
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:05 AM

Great Expectations

Here is an example of how "binding" a BaT auction is and a seller getting cold feet....buyers can do the same thing but lose 5% and probable banishment to Elba, too. I stand with AlfaEvan. Banishment from BaT isn't going to be a life changer. Hemmings can get the job done in the future, just like it always did. In the words of Yogi.."it's never over 'til it's over."
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-porsche-911-5/ ..go directly to the after auction posts, if you are interested...

I bought a car on BaT. It was going to be a cold day in hell I was going to take delivery on a truck from 130 miles away and wire my winning bid on a car represented as it was. Everything worked out and I wasn't banned... but I could have been if I walked after a test drive and inspection. The car was not pure but safe and appeared a reliable driver (and it was and I told the seller I had AAA so it was my problem if it crapped out) to get me home. It was a very happy ending for both parties. I risked $405 (5%) that was scarfed up by BaT a nanosecond after I was declared the winning bidder. It was like an insurance premium to me.
ballough510 likes this.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 04-17-2019 at 04:21 AM.
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:38 AM

Make note that BAT advertises all their auctions in Hemmings. When people see something popping up like "Wack a mole" on different sites, they become suspicious.

The Porsche story was bizarre.
Reminded me of a time that I drove to the upper peninsula of Michigan to buy a motorcycle. It was 750 miles +. I was running 30 minutes late and called to give the guy a heads up. "I decided not to sell it" was his reply. Good thing I was about 20 miles away; otherwise the only board I'd be dealing with would be the parole board...…...
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:49 AM

BTW.. I'm on their "hit list" for posting....They took umbrage over the fact I called a spade a spade on their terms on a post. Now they have a permanent watch-dog on everything I post and it sometimes takes hours or maybe never to get posted after it goes through their vetting process.. I'm not banned yet .... just highly scrutinized by their commissars...After this I should get a registered letter from them.... Talk about petty BS.
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:56 AM

AH ! One of those "Northern Agitators " .
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somer View Post
AH ! One of those "Northern Agitators " .
more like Northern Exposure
ballough510 and Somer like this.
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:27 AM

Just catching up on this car. I have both bought and sold Alfas on BaT, and I think their business model is second to none. When a bidder tries to flake, they forfeit their five percent buyer's premium, which in your case could have been 2500 dollars or more. BaT has the bidder's credit card number, and they will charge a deadbeat bidders card. So bidders tend not to flake out on BaT. In contrast, the winning bidder in an ebay auction has no skin in the game, and they flake out all the time with no consequences.
BaT is totally fair. If you list a car and it does not meet reserve, they actually do connect you with the high bidder (been there myself). If you sell the car to that person, they don't take any commission at all, even though it is their platform that gave you the international exposure that helped you connect with the buyer. That is uber-fair, even generous of them, IMO.
I don't think BaT is being a bully, they are simply abiding by the terms of the contract.
Howard Swig, who comes from a family of Alfisti, works on their auction platform and he is first and foremost a car guy. And also a good person. But it is a business, and the rules are clear when a person lists a car. Otherwise their business model falls apart. People would list cars, get the exposure, and sell to a buyer outside of the auction, and BaT loses their commission. The 99 dollar listing fee is just there to cover costs, their actual profit is made when cars sell.

1970 Junior Z 1300, 1957 Sprint Normale
Other 105 Series cars in the past
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:41 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter7 View Post
Hi Craig,
I put a note on BAT. Happy to chat regarding importation to Australia.
You will just have to find another one to buy.

Regards Daniel
Hi Daniel,

Could I possibly ask if you might look at a car for me. Haven't found the right one yet, or perhaps you might have one stashed away. I am looking for a 101 spider or sprint, in need of some work but not a basket case. Thanks, sorry to take over this post. Cheers.
Jim
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:54 AM

Garage
Jim, You can send daniel a PM.
also ask around in Australian Alfa circles.

Cheers IAN

62 LANCIA FLAMINIA GT 2500 PROJECT (now sold) 64 SPRINT GT (Gone)
68 1750 ROUND TAIL SPIDER 70 1750 GTV 62 101 GIULIA SPRINT
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:19 PM
Gold Subscriber

Thanks Ian.
Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode