For Sale 1965 Giulia Spider 1600 - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

@Karter7 I've liked Miata's, in fact I did a photoshoot with Bob Hall, the father of the Miata, he created it on a napkin and showed the head of Mazda what they should be doing. So he said ok, Do it. Bob is an eccentric genius. Fluent in English and Japanese, and he has a twin brother.
We did the shoot at Mazda in Irvine, he brought his personal Miata with a one of a kind color, and chin spoiler, he said the Miata's were supposed to have spoilers but they couldn't get them on and off the cargo ships, so they modified the design.

While at Mazda that day, Bob and Derek Jenkins, the designer of the new Miata sat together for an hour talking Miata and design. Both great guys, very nice, a very interesting day.

Would I get a Miata.. they're reliable and affordable, maybe, but for now the sun is beginning to wear on me after years of being exposed.... I know, don't laugh, I never thought I'd say things like this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:56 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas H View Post
Making a contract to sell with an entity such as BaT is a serious step. Backing out of such a contract is also a serious step. The seller should/could have handled this much better.
the terms is: Auction Interruptus !

post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Making a contract to sell with an entity such as BaT is a serious step. Backing out of such a contract is also a serious step. The seller should/could have handled this much better.

In my opinion BAT could easily have handled this far better. Simply charging the seller a auction cancellation or part commission fee, wished him well at achieving his goal (his intention is to sell the car after all) and encourage him to use them again (perhaps they did). Instead, they seem to have maligned him in public, suggesting he has done them some great wrong.

I’m not sure I would do business with BAT, they seem to take business far too personally and come across as vindictive and nasty. They’re also crap at answering or addressing issues, I’ve emailed them several times over the years and had no response - ever

I say all this from the perspective of a qualified bidder - I missed out on this one.
Cest la vie, I hope the new owner enjoys and the seller is happy.
Life’s too short, if anybody knows of another car, lemme know

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...

Last edited by Craig_m67; 04-11-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
Is this is written from the perspective of somebody with inside knowledge at BAT??

In my opinion BAT could easily have handled this far better. Simply charging the seller a withdrawal/commission fee, wished him well at achieving his goal (his intention is to sell the car) and encouraging him to use them again (perhaps they did). Instead, they seem to have maligned him in public and suggested he has done them some wrong.

I wouldnít do business with BAT as they seem to take business personally and come across as vindictive and nasty.

Theyíre also crap at answering or addressing issues, Iíve emailed them several times over the years and had no response - ever
I've done business with them a few times. I don't have any inside knowledge of this case, other than what BaT posted. Seems to me the seller quit the auction because the car was sold outside the auction. It's common knowledge on the site that cars are for sale only at the BaT auction. No one is forcing you to do business with them. If you're unhappy with their response go elsewhere. But you should adjust your attitude in any case.
Craterface likes this.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
I've done business with them a few times. I don't have any inside knowledge of this case, other than what BaT posted. Seems to me the seller quit the auction because the car was sold outside the auction. It's common knowledge on the site that cars are for sale only at the BaT auction. No one is forcing you to do business with them. If you're unhappy with their response go elsewhere. But you should adjust your attitude in any case.
I should adjust my attitude??

Iím a complete stranger to you Chas - but hey, if you want to judge, go **** yourself while your at it

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
I should adjust my attitude??

Iím a complete stranger to you Chas - but hey, if you want to judge, go **** yourself while your at it
No wonder BaT doesn't care to do business with you.
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Hey Everybody, I know I sold the car outside of auction, but, you must know the whole story to be able to judge, and then ask yourself, What would I have done?

A BAT bidder came to my home on Sunday, drove and inspected the car, he seemed to of liked it. On Monday he texted me asking for a compression test, I went to the Alfa shop on Tuesday to perform the test, a customer at the shop inquired, I told him the car was for sale.
This was a customer, not a BAT bidder. I let him look the car over and drive it. He asked how much and I told him at least $ dollar amount. He left and 15 minutes later and said I'll take it. Later that afternoon he texted me and said he had the money.

Heres what BAT isn't telling you, My wife and I are separating after 14 years, I have to move out and get a place, I need a bed, a fridge, sheets, towels, a shed to be built, a washer dryer, furniture etc, its an empty house, and theres nowhere to store the car. I need the money to pay for everything. I don't want to sell the car, I've worked really hard on the little car, but I need the money.

Here is a buyer with cash in hand that is meeting my reserve price. No haggling, no fake bidder, no changing the mind... Would you gamble on that? What if the car doesn't meet reserve... would the perspective buyer still buy my car? And lets use the term, Buy My Car, its not BATs car, they didn't put any sweat equity into my car. And I did pay them the $99 fee.

When the buyer said he had the money I wrote BAT, I know the folks at BAT, I like the guys at BAT, I'm a professional photographer, I'm on their list of photographers, I've helped people get top dollar for their car thru my images.
I wrote them and told them exactly what I'm writing here. I asked what should I do? I have a situation. They told me to have the guy register and bid just like everyone else.. I got no sympathy or empathy, I didn't ask for it, but sometimes circumstances dictate action.

I had to sell the car and they had to punish me.

I'm not a car broker, I don't buy and sell cars. I'm just a guy, BAT has sold hundreds of cars, mine won't be their first or last sale. I had to make a choice, it wasn't easy for me. I had to make the sale, I couldn't afford not too. And I understood the consequences.

So, BAT removed me from bidding and selling cars for life, I compromised the integrity of their process, and took me off their list of photographers. They then raised the reserve and kept the car up for bidding, I think they wanted to show me how much the car would of brought,
people were asking questions, but I couldn't answer them, I was curious too.

Then they posted their brief on the site about selling outside of the auction. And pulled the auction.

So, If you were in my shoes, What would you have done? Would you chance losing everything? or taken the sale?
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:33 AM
Gold Subscriber

wow...there are a lot of layers there.. Sorry you are going through all of that. I didn't realize BAT knew the car was sold yet continued to take bids.. Certainly seems like the pot calling the kettle black.. How could they knowingly allow folks to bid on a vehicle thats no longer available?
alfaman1963 likes this.
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:44 AM

Yep, a tough call. And most of us I hope, are never in that pickle.
Not much point making a comment unless you have worn those shoes!
Chin up mate
Regards Daniel
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:49 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Let's watch our comments, folks.
Gordon Raymond likes this.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ossodiseppia; 04-12-2019 at 08:00 AM.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:50 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
A case could be made that BaT is turning into an overweight bully. On the other hand, their contract with sellers is pretty clear on this point, and what else could they do but to make an example of this case? Not an easy call on either side. I'm sorry that you had to sell your Spider, Evan. You gave the car the care it deserved, which I appreciated from a distance.

The perfect is the enemy of the good. Voltaire
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the support, I know what I did wasn't right, I don't want to sound like a "Woe is me sad sack", sometimes though stuff happens... and you gotta do the best you can. BAT will go on just fine, and so will I.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:13 AM

For what it's worth, I was following the BAT auction and would have been a bidder. I think that when you agree to list a car on BAT - you're agreeing to let the auction run to completion under their terms. While there are no guarantees - this car was always going to find a buyer pretty quickly. There aren't a ton of these out there in this original condition and not in red (your pictures are also great). Knowing you made an agreement to sell on BAT - I would have pointed the buyer to BAT and told them to bid. If it had not made the reserve - you could have done a deal outside BAT and still be within the terms you agreed to. No guarantee they come back or even bid...but you agreed to those terms. I understand why BAT did what they did. That said - your situation is tough so I'm sure the community wishes you the best.
Somer likes this.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:06 PM

AlfaEvan, I'll miss seeing your photos on BaT. I sold a car there and it sold for way more than my reserve and higher than I figured it would end up. I know a guy who was watching your car and willing to take out a second mortgage to be the high bidder. In any event, I wish you all the best.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:40 PM

A little late to the party but I have the correct owners manual for your old car, pub date 8/65. Have the new owner PM me if interested.

Chuck
Attached Images

Last edited by 6alfas; 04-13-2019 at 03:46 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode