For Sale 1957 Spider - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 29Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,261
1957 Spider

A neighbor and good friend of mine got a decent black plate project 1957 Giulietta Spider from California and had it shipped to Kingston New Hampshire. I have a 1962 that I am almost done and a 1958 Spider to start so I had to refuse, otherwise I would take it on as a great project. Floors and rockers are better than I'm used to, trunk has few holes, some bits and pieces are missing. Seats are well preserved, rims were sand blasted, powder coated, and new Firestone tires were mounted and balanced. Please dont hesitate to contact Mario at [email protected] or give a call at (207) 721-6204.

EDIT: SOLD
Attached Images
     
portello1966 likes this.

Last edited by 81gtv6; 06-25-2019 at 04:57 PM. Reason: sold 6/25/2019
81gtv6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,261
I have honestly not been watching the market for the earlier cars as much as I should, is this a fair price for a good start on a project car?
Attached Images
     
81gtv6 is offline  
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 08:40 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,484
In my opinion, the market seems pretty soft right now. Stocks are down and people seem to be pulling back on discretionary spending.
6alfas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 06:07 AM
Registered User
 
divotandtralee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cape Cod, MAssachusetts
Posts: 6,918
Given all things considered.. I would consider selling the '58 and do this. In the end, it is a more desirable car and a better investment especially if you can match the numbers. I would expect a 15-25% premium for a '57 v. a '58 finished. That assumes you are at the same starting point on both cars. It is something to consider. Hagerty pegs the values the same but in the real world there will be far more buyers for a '57 than a '58 and the market value will reflect that. Then you have to fork over another 20 something and sell yours so I suppose there are issues ($$$) to deal with. I don't know how your friend arrived at 23.. I'd put it on BaT for 99 bucks. There isn't much the gallery can pick on and it might make more, especially to a European. They love import tax-discounted cars that are not restored.
Brad750f, bfeng and Austin Alfa like this.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 12-22-2018 at 06:13 AM.
divotandtralee is offline  
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 07:29 AM
Moderator
Platinum SubscriberModerator
 
Alfajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Juan Capistrano
Posts: 9,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
I would consider selling the '58 and do this. In the end, it is a more desirable car and a better investment especially if you can match the numbers. I would expect a 15-25% premium for a '57 v. a '58 finished.
Not that I disagree, but I am curious as to your thinking here. Is it because a '57 would be eligible for the Mille Miglia and other events? Because a '57 is a 750 while a '58 is a 101?

80gtv6 should verify the years of these cars; it wasn't uncommon for an Alfa built in 1957 (or whatever year) to be registered as a 1958. My point being that his "1958" car may in fact be earlier than his "1957".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81gtv6
I have honestly not been watching the market for the earlier cars as much as I should, is this a fair price for a good start on a project car?
$23K is as good a number as any. Without seeing a car in-person, it's pretty hard for us on the BB to say that this car is worth more or less. Project cars are tougher to value than restored cars, as there are fewer comparable sales and their potential for unseen issues (e.g., rust).

As divotandtralee wrote, an auction can be a great way to discover a car's true value. But auctions can be a gamble, with surprises to the downside as well as to the upside.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 12-22-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Alfajay is offline  
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:11 AM
Registered User
 
divotandtralee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cape Cod, MAssachusetts
Posts: 6,918
The '58 was a 750 and is a carbon copy of the '57.. my thinking is not so much eligibility for the MM but some tours like the CA Mille are specific. The '56 that just went on BaT garnered a premium I think for that reason even though the buyer might not go that way. He knows he has the option later and his phone might ring.. There are lots of collectors with many cars forced to be navigators on the CA Mille because they don't have a car eligible. The BaT thing has no risk on something like this. I can't see it cratering in at some lo-ball and besides a 23000 reserve would probably work for them, so what the hell. It costs more to put the car in Lemmings.
divotandtralee is offline  
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 02:48 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
Not that I disagree, but I am curious as to your thinking here. Is it because a '57 would be eligible for the Mille Miglia and other events? Because a '57 is a 750 while a '58 is a 101?

80gtv6 should verify the years of these cars; it wasn't uncommon for an Alfa built in 1957 (or whatever year) to be registered as a 1958. My point being that his "1958" car may in fact be earlier than his "1957".



$23K is as good a number as any. Without seeing a car in-person, it's pretty hard for us on the BB to say that this car is worth more or less. Project cars are tougher to value than restored cars, as there are fewer comparable sales and their potential for unseen issues (e.g., rust).

As divotandtralee wrote, an auction can be a great way to discover a car's true value. But auctions can be a gamble, with surprises to the downside as well as to the upside.
I would definitely double check the VIN to see when this was built AND check to see if it has the original motor. Depending on the selling venue that question will always come up.
6alfas is offline  
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
Given all things considered.. I would consider selling the '58 and do this. In the end, it is a more desirable car and a better investment especially if you can match the numbers. I would expect a 15-25% premium for a '57 v. a '58 finished. That assumes you are at the same starting point on both cars. It is something to consider. Hagerty pegs the values the same but in the real world there will be far more buyers for a '57 than a '58 and the market value will reflect that. Then you have to fork over another 20 something and sell yours so I suppose there are issues ($$$) to deal with. I don't know how your friend arrived at 23.. I'd put it on BaT for 99 bucks. There isn't much the gallery can pick on and it might make more, especially to a European. They love import tax-discounted cars that are not restored.
Honestly, this car is a better starting point than my car. I think the door glass has never seen light, they are flawless! I have my car a bit disassembled at the moment so to buy this and put my car together just to sell might be double the work.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
81gtv6 should verify the years of these cars; it wasn't uncommon for an Alfa built in 1957 (or whatever year) to be registered as a 1958. My point being that his "1958" car may in fact be earlier than his "1957".
I will post the vin below, but what is the best way to figure out the year? Contact Alfa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
The '58 was a 750 and is a carbon copy of the '57.. my thinking is not so much eligibility for the MM but some tours like the CA Mille are specific. The '56 that just went on BaT garnered a premium I think for that reason even though the buyer might not go that way. He knows he has the option later and his phone might ring.. There are lots of collectors with many cars forced to be navigators on the CA Mille because they don't have a car eligible. The BaT thing has no risk on something like this. I can't see it cratering in at some lo-ball and besides a 23000 reserve would probably work for them, so what the hell. It costs more to put the car in Lemmings.
Is the 1957 mille miglia/ CA Mille eligible or just the 1956?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6alfas View Post
I would definitely double check the VIN to see when this was built AND check to see if it has the original motor. Depending on the selling venue that question will always come up.
The number on the firewall is 1495 02917 and engine block has 1315 41221 stamped on it. What is the best way to verify the year and if that engine is the correct one for the car?
81gtv6 is offline  
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 07:01 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81gtv6 View Post
The number on the firewall is 1495 02917 and engine block has 1315 41221 stamped on it. What is the best way to verify the year and if that engine is the correct one for the car?
Good news, both are from a 57.
Attached Images
 
6alfas is offline  
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 11:36 AM
Registered User
 
divotandtralee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cape Cod, MAssachusetts
Posts: 6,918
'57 is qualified...the numbers seem to match if for missing the hood lid plate which if original would verify it. If the plate s missing, too bad.. there was a time Fazio would confirm a motor number but not let you "fish" for a number. Don't know what the situation with the archivists is now. As you said, there would be some financial and trading juggling to make things work and it might not be worth the heartburn.
divotandtralee is offline  
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 08:58 AM
Registered User
 
Mark_toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lincoln NE
Posts: 1,017
Garage
With meh Bertone GTVs trading in the 30s, and based on how solid this looks in the photos, $23 seems to be a reasonable starting point. Looks reasonably complete. Patience will deliver.

84 Spider - Long gone, but started the addiction; 85 GTV6 - Current project, Supercharged, Mega Squirt; 88 Verde - "Milo" It has a name, must be a keeper
Mark_toro is offline  
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 10:41 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber
 
DPeterson3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 8,611
Garage
Centro Documentizone will confirm or deny a motor/chassis pair, as well as provide original color, interior, and delivery point, IF those items are in their files. They charge a small fee for the service, and send a nice certificate.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird


You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
DPeterson3 is offline  
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6alfas View Post
Good news, both are from a 57.
Thank you for posting that! I remembered seeing a link to a post with these pages scanned but I wasn't able to search for it. Here is a better photo of the engine bay numbers.
Attached Images
 
81gtv6 is offline  
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,261
Adding photos...
Attached Images
    
81gtv6 is offline  
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,261
Someone asked about bare floor photos...
Attached Images
    
81gtv6 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome