For Sale 1957 Spider - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

It seems like I am having some trouble sending PMs, but that's honestly probably a problem with my phone and not the BB. To make it easier emails to [email protected] or give a call at (207) 721-6204 for more photos or more information about the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

I think there was a price drop, but double check with Mario if you are interested.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:25 AM

So 23k for this car, triple that plus the original price and you have a car. It might be less headaches to buy a restored one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciao55 View Post
So 23k for this car, triple that plus the original price and you have a car. It might be less headaches to buy a restored one.
I must admit, I was a bit taken a back by your post yesterday!

Random pessimistic comment from left field on a Monday morning? Had me confused, until I saw over half of your post are tire kicker comments on other people's for sale posts; the remaining are talking about some bought-not-built Giulia exhaust or something.

So I will take your bait... in your professional internet opinion what is the correct price for my friends 57 Giulietta? Tell me, how much will it cost to restore this car? What is it worth restored?
Capp likes this.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 04:28 PM

Garage
I’m not sure why you are so passive aggressive about this. Besides, your offering the car for sale. You should know what it might cost to restore in your location?

For the rest of us, there is very little information available in the pictures (too dark) to determine the real state of the metalwork.

I’m in the process of restoring (rebuilding) my Duetto. The previous comment about spending another $60k on parts and labor isn’t that out of touch. I’ve spent half that in parts and labor so far tearing my car apart to check every nook and cranny for rust..

My 2cents... Personally, I love this model and it was never available here in Australia. Given the amount of stuff missing, the amount of stuff present that will need completely restoring and the body which will need to be pulled apart and gone over with a fine wire brush - I wouldn’t pay more than $10k. The engine and body number would need to be confirmed by Alfa as would any sales title or whatever you guys call it over there so it could be exported cleanly - again just my 2cents.

It’s not my intent to offend - that’s what I would pay (and I would if there was help delivering to a shipper and providence etc)
tomkatf and ciao55 like this.

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...

Last edited by Craig_m67; 03-05-2019 at 04:36 PM.
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:14 AM

There is no rule about not responding to every comment. Arms flailing and splashing in the bath water doesn't improve the quality of the bath. I hope you don't need an interpreter. Thank heavens this isn't BaT.. and shouldn't be.
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:15 AM

If the price was based only on the cost of restoration and the restored value, we would have to pay someone to haul away most of these cars. Thankfully that isn’t the only way to value them!
ballough510 likes this.

Erik
'66 GTV racecar, '71 Spider racecar, '74 GTV street car, '71 GTV project
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81gtv6 View Post
I must admit, I was a bit taken a back by your post yesterday!

Random pessimistic comment from left field on a Monday morning? Had me confused, until I saw over half of your post are tire kicker comments on other people's for sale posts; the remaining are talking about some bought-not-built Giulia exhaust or something.

So I will take your bait... in your professional internet opinion what is the correct price for my friends 57 Giulietta? Tell me, how much will it cost to restore this car? What is it worth restored?
It's only worth something to the guy that wants to undertake all that work and expense. As for me, i would buy one that's been done. Sorry to twist your panties.
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:33 PM

Ciao55. I don’t even know the seller of this car. But do you ever offer anything of value on this forum? ALL of your posts are comments on for sale items, usually derogatory. No one appreciates the guy who has to share his opinion of the value of their car. I restored a 56 Spider that sold at auction for $70k several years ago. Have you ever owned a Giulietta?
alfas07 and ballough510 like this.

Erik
'66 GTV racecar, '71 Spider racecar, '74 GTV street car, '71 GTV project
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:22 PM

This type of "negative" comment does not encourage members to advertise their cars to forum members....
ballough510 likes this.

1972 Spider (Dark Blue)
1972 GTV (Dark Blue)

Last edited by RPHIL40342; 03-06-2019 at 08:24 PM. Reason: edit
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:34 AM

The person that is serious about buying this model will investigate it and if it feels right buy it, they are the ones that are serious, not everyone buys a project but some definitely do because they want to control the quality of the work done to bring it back to life, at the least that's my experience in buying projects, it's different to buying a car already done. It's the potential in the build that is the ignition for these types of sale.
Tim
ballough510 likes this.
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:17 PM

Hood lid plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
'57 is qualified...the numbers seem to match if for missing the hood lid plate which if original would verify it. If the plate s missing, too bad.. there was a time Fazio would confirm a motor number but not let you "fish" for a number. Don't know what the situation with the archivists is now. As you said, there would be some financial and trading juggling to make things work and it might not be worth the heartburn.
Iím new to the world of 750/101 Alfaís having just acquired a 101 spider.
Can you please explain the significance of the hood plate and boot(trunk) floor stamping.
What do these numbers correspond too.
Thanks in advance
Daniel
VeloceSA likes this.
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter7 View Post
I’m new to the world of 750/101 Alfa’s having just acquired a 101 spider.
Can you please explain the significance of the hood plate and boot(trunk) floor stamping.
What do these numbers correspond too.
Thanks in advance
Daniel
there is a mixed metphor going on here.. The "hood plates" are the stamped aluminum pieces (2) screwed to the scuttle of a Giulietta Sprint and the underside of the bonnet of the Spider.. In the early cars one included the Tipo designation (750 X or 101) and the chassis number and actual motor number... This was the only plate that paired the two exactly.. Then Alfa strayed away from the exact motor number and just stamped the first few characters without the final 5 digits later in the run of 101 cars. That aside there are folks that get all in a tizzy over matching bonnet and boot lids with the stamping on the boot floor. PF stamped the boot floor in their own code and supposedly matched the last three digits with the bonnet and boot lid and welded on plate stamped accordingly. It was PF's way to have the fit work especially on hand built cras and it carried on into the stamped fitted cars.of the 101 series when hand fitting was reserved for hinge alignment. .Does that help? The PF numbers have no correlation whatsoever to the AR number stamped on the fire wall if in fact you have no aluminum plates.. All very nerdy but that is the best I can do to wind you through this maze.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 03-07-2019 at 12:57 PM.
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 03:38 AM

You guys are dinosaurs. Don't get so righteous about this rust bucket. 23K is double what it's worth. Just because some guys have deep pockets doesn't make it a valuable or smart purchase.

Last edited by ciao55; 03-08-2019 at 03:42 AM.
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 05:18 AM

I've been docked for less

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode