For Sale A surprise from beverly hills car club - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 04:46 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
The amount of scrutiny even good cars get on BAT is amazing. And those with even more pics and info get even more scrutiny. Asking to look at lugnuts. If it is that critical on a $35k car, isn't it worth a cheap air ticket and rental car or good local PPI? And you PAY for that ad. Going back a long ways folks have been very sensitive about comments on their cars here, in a free format no less. I never figured that out. If it has the wrong badge (not "Milano"), it has the wrong badge. Even after prospective buyers asked for input. If you don't like comments there's always Fleabay and CraigsList and AutoTrader. Now if BHM was a sponsor or something here then I imagine moderators would make any harsh comments verboten and crack heads. But they are not so let the comments flow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 04:53 PM

Any guesses as to $$ to get it running?

For those on the BB who have done a restoration to this kind of car before, any guesses as to how much it would (gulp) cost?
The BH listing is here (I need more posts to embed the URL, sorry!):
www dot beverlyhillscarclub dot com
slash
1959-alfa-romeo-giulietta-sprint-c-9370.htm

I'm thinking more of the "get it to running somewhat reliably" milestone on the road to restoration and not the "perfection" end of the journey. Any educated guesses?
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 09:06 PM

@ goodegg, you have to spend 80-100 K US$ to put it back on the road...

Now, if cosmetics don't interest you, you have a good at least 35 K US$ in parts (everything that is mechanical and rectification + electricity + tyres + put the right headlight back in the right position + the rest we don't know)

But do you really want to drive the car sitting on springs with gauges that don't work ?

Your choice...

Chris, in love with Alfa from...'68, but it wasn't always reciprocal !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 05:55 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
It will probably cost more to "fix" than this will at the gavel:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ign=2018-12-15.

A friend bought very rusty S1 Giulia Super and spent over $50k.

If you enjoy the project and want to end-up upside down for 5-10 years then it's a prospect.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 02:32 PM

Garage
Look at photo 73 of 82 check the familiar concrete floor 😂

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 02:43 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfanuts View Post
Now if BHM was a sponsor or something here then I imagine moderators would make any harsh comments verboten and crack heads. But they are not so let the comments flow.
Bruce, making negative comments about a car or item that is for sale would not be a rules violation. So long as folks are civil, I say fire away!

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 06:23 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Not that I make a habit of making unsolicited comments especially of ABB members cars unless it's egregious misrepresentation, but some folks have really gotten their knickers in a wad the past about civil and FACTUAL comments on their cars.

My comment was aimed at making hypothetical critical comments about ABB "sponsors" (not including BHM) specifically. But I do know how you guys up there in the tower way back initially reacted when we made vendor performance complaints and I asked to add a vendor comments thread which you did and with it's long preamble (warning) that ironically is not in the For Sale folders. It was walking on eggshells; thyey were hallowed protected species. Vendors are just humans selling stuff like ABB members sell cars - no more, no less. They add value and have problems in products and service. In fact you, I and Papajam locked horns pretty good over comments I made about one of your faves. Hard to lock horns with two admins and another moderator and live to tell about it. This was a hard fought battle to open up comments on vendors. I was there.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 06:20 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfanuts View Post
Not that I make a habit of making unsolicited comments especially of ABB members cars unless it's egregious misrepresentation, but some folks have really gotten their knickers in a wad the past about civil and FACTUAL comments on their cars.

My comment was aimed at making hypothetical critical comments about ABB "sponsors" (not including BHM) specifically. But I do know how you guys up there in the tower way back initially reacted when we made vendor performance complaints and I asked to add a vendor comments thread which you did and with it's long preamble (warning) that ironically is not in the For Sale folders. It was walking on eggshells; thyey were hallowed protected species. Vendors are just humans selling stuff like ABB members sell cars - no more, no less. They add value and have problems in products and service. In fact you, I and Papajam locked horns pretty good over comments I made about one of your faves. Hard to lock horns with two admins and another moderator and live to tell about it. This was a hard fought battle to open up comments on vendors. I was there.
Bruce, I appreciate the feed back. I remember the horn locking, but not all of the details. I would have to review the "incident" and try to remember why I got my knickers in a twist. I don't know if it's worth revisiting something that happened so long ago.

I think there is a right way and a wrong way to do a vendor review or comment on an item/car that is listed for sale. So long as it is done respectfully and honestly, I don't see a problem. I feel comfortable in saying. every business on the planet has had a problem with at least one customer at some time. No business is perfect because people are not perfect. If someone buys something that they are dissatisfied with, then by all means a review with negative comments is certainly justifiable. However, how those comments are made is what's important. If a customer receives less than desirable treatment from a vendor, then a review of that interaction is also justifiable.

I think that if a person just states the facts, then it's a fair an honest review. Launching into a tirade about things isn't necessary. I guess the only advise I can offer is, to keep in mind how it might feel if it were your business or your product that was being reviewed. Yes, some people have thicker skin than others, and it's the others that we should be targeting our wording towards.

Brian __________________________________

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 08:00 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
It's old news and not worth rehashing. Some of this helped form the board we have now today, a more open yet civil forum. Vendors are not off limits. We're buds.
Tom Frasca likes this.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:46 PM

@pescara and @Anfanuts: cheers for the estimates. Not that I've got any interest in a project the size of those I see on BHCC I am thankful to know ballparks between getting what's pictured and actually driving it. Since my question here, there are some similar comments about cost-to-restore estimates on the BaT listing so thanks for alerting me to that auction.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 12:11 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The BAT car linked above bid to $56K and did not meet reserve. You can search their archive to see what other Giulietta Sprints have sold for.

Last edited by Anfanuts; 12-29-2018 at 09:50 AM.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 01:12 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodegg View Post
For those on the BB who have done a restoration to this kind of car before, any guesses as to how much it would (gulp) cost?
The numbers Alfanuts thew out in post #18 are as good as any. Without seeing a car and delving into it a bit, it's impossible to offer a very accurate estimate. Heck, even professional restoration shops will usually hedge their numbers at the outset of a project.

A big item, which your question doesn't address, is whether you do most of the work yourself, or pay a professional. Labor is a big part of any restoration.

This subject deserves its own thread, instead of a side discussion in a thread about a specific car.

Quote:
I'm thinking more of the "get it to running somewhat reliably" milestone on the road to restoration and not the "perfection" end of the journey.
Yea, everyone says that. But once you have things apart, you realize that this is your opportunity to do things right. Sure, you could save a lot of money by doing a mechanical restoration and leaving the body/paint/interior alone, but the result would be worth << what you paid for it + what you put into the parts. Alfanuts expressed this thought when he wrote: But do you really want to drive the car sitting on springs with gauges that don't work ?.
Anfanuts likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 12-17-2018 at 01:46 PM.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 09:47 AM

I would love to have one of these just way too much money. Why don't they offer a better price for something like this????
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 11:16 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Um, they're a business? Sorry for the smarty answer, but they seem to do OK with their business model. I was there three years ago at Christmas; they have hundreds and hundreds of cars stashed in their warehouses, move them around by forklift.. Probably a dozen cars came and went in the time I was there, plus a ton of Euro-shoppers looking to take 911s and 356s back home with them. It's very busy. They seem very savvy about what price the traffic will bear, even if it might seem high for some truly ruined cars. That's capitalism!

They will listen to offers. Alex M made an offer on a GTV I had a few years ago and we kicked it back and forth. So you're welcome to pitch them something. They're a dealer, they know what they will and won't take.

Andrew
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 11:17 AM

Garage
I believe the answer is they think they don't have to. Its worth what someone will pay. Its all a negotiation and I know cash talks. Point 2-he is in LA. Lots of things are inflated there-egos, housing prices, breasts and classic cars Point 3-In the USA, the Sprints are much rarer than in Europe. In the states Alfas were often bought as weekend cars and in sunny climates. In Europe, they bought more coupes-family sporting car, miserable weather for an open car etc. In the USA, the convertibles outsold the coupe by probably 4 to 1. In Europe, the ratio was reversed

The design today is acknowledged as a classic. There are few left. Many were used up as racers-structurally rigid compared to the Spider
alfaloco likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode