Wanted Duetto - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Bob,
I'm not sure why my PM didn't go through. Please call me at 617-371-8646.
Regards,
Walt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Ossodisseppia,
Your advice is quite correct, "buy the best you can afford" but I don't want to overpay for something that isn't the best. Thus the benefit of having experts like on this forum help with their assessments of the pros and cons of specific cars. I really do appreciate everyone's input here. I saw a spectacular 1969 spider today in San Francisco but the asking price was $10K over the highest prices paid on BAT for excellent cars and $10K over the prices for #1 cars on Hagerty or SCM price guides. I was tempted but will continue my search for the "right" car at a market correct price. Thanks,
Walt
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 05:22 PM
Gold Subscriber

budget

better to get the best car you can in complete condition... I am about to find out how expensive a restoration is!
alfaman1963 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Yes, I know. Been there, done that!
W
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 05:27 AM

Garage
Scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic124 View Post
How about this 1968 blue one on Craigslist in Albuquerque https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/c...611551352.html
It's interesting that this picture in the Albuquerque Craigslist ad selling for $16,000 is identical to the one in this Hemmings ad that is selling for $51,000 in Miami, FL. I call scam.
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...l#&gid=1&pid=6
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...o/2097936.html
Attached Images

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 05:56 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Here's the car on the seller's website.

1968 Alfa Romeo Duetto | Mayor Cars

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 08:51 PM

Walt,

I am now up in Canada for 2-3 weeks dealing with a family issue.

I will contact you when I get back.

Bob

1966 Duetto
1967 Shelby GT350
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 11:55 PM

Garage
Here's a new listing on BaT for a nice white 1967 Duetto. Opening bid is $4K

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...der-duetto-10/

Restoring an Alfa Duetto 1966
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 03:56 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
There' something goofy about the front bumpers. They don't appear to look quite right with respect to the cutouts on either side of the grille.

There's also something going on with the wire harness and fuse box. It looks like the wire harness may have been replaced and the wires are too long. That looks really sloppy.

Also, the brake booster, reservoir bracket and reservoir look like one from a 1750. I've not seen this set up like this on a 1600.

I'm not sure what happened to the air cleaner bracket, but it's missing. The included air cleaner is from a newer car, possibly a 1750.
Attached Images

Brian __________________________________

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thank You!

I want to say a big Thank You to members of the alfabb for your help with this process. The biggest Thank You goes to alfaman1963 who put me in contact with one off his clients who was planning on selling his 1969 1750 spider. This is a 42,000 mile, fully restored, always in California car that needed nothing. I'm happy to say that it is now in my garage. After several months of looking across the country this car was less than 20 miles from me. This has been the most helpful on line car community I have experienced and I really appreciate everyone's input and advice.
Thanks again,
Walt
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:41 AM

Congratulation Walt! I KNEW you would like that car... The pervious owner took very good care of that beauty. Enjoy it. I hope I get to still service that car.. :} Jim

Now....93 164s, 91 164s, 91 164L, 79 spider, '31 Ford model A Rat Rod, 88 Milano 3.0, 87 testarossa, 05 SL600 twin turbo V-12, 82 GTV6-3.0, Dodge Ram
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 05:55 PM

Walt.... congratulations on your new 'baby'.

We are expecting pictures posted.........even if it's not a Duetto !

1966 Duetto
1967 Shelby GT350
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Not a Duetto

Not a Duetto but I am very happy to have this beautiful 69 spider now in my garage. It has been a joy to drive and is quite amazing for a car that is almost 50 years old. Thanks again to all of the bb members that offered advice and suggestions, particularly alfaman1963.
Walt
Attached Images

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 01:07 PM

Walt,

Looks good..... please enjoy often...... 'we don't need no stinkin' horse power' !!!!

Bob

1966 Duetto
1967 Shelby GT350
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 01:34 PM

It's a DUETTO

ORIGINS OF THE Alfa Romeo Post WWII , Roundtail Spider , “DUETTO” Nickname.

The Alfa Romeo Roundtail Spider was launched at the 36th Geneva Motor Show in March 1966.

To choose a name for the New Spider Model, Alfa Romeo announced a write-in competition, offering an example of the new car as a prize.

Reportedly, over 100 thousand ballots were sent in, the great majority from Italy.
The winner was Guidobaldo Trionfi, a man from Brescia, who proposed the name "Duetto".
It is believed that for Trionfi, the “Duetto” name was inspired by the idea of a beautiful young COUPLE in a “Duet”,
as they experienced the wonderful new car, while driving it top down on twisting Italian Mountain Roads.

However the “Duetto” name could not be officially adopted due to trademark issues in Italy, and the car was simply named the Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 .

The name “Duetto” does not appear on Alfa Romeo official literature.

Throughout Italy, the rest of Europe and Worldwide , Alfa Romeo ROUNDTAIL SPIDERS from 1966 through 1969 are referred to as “Duettos”.

A group of Alfa Romeo enthusiasts in the USA think that the “Duetto” name was somehow meant to refer in a somewhat prosaic manner,
to the Dual carburetors, rather than Trionfi’s ROMANTIC REFERENCE to the Joy a Couple would experience in a DUET,
while driving the beautiful Pinifarina TWO SEAT Roundtail Roadster, topdown on curving Mountain Roads.

Last edited by JWHALFA; 07-16-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode