Wanted Yet another convert. - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Yet another convert.

Hello all, I think I am a new owner of an old Alfa. Specifically a 1750 GTV. I am in S.E. Michigan and would like to pick the brains of this community, which seems ridiculously well informed. I need to get to ten posts, so I'll start with asking for recommendations for transmission work (synchro issues) and engine work (assesment of work done to the engine which is currently apart but supposedly machined.) I never heard it run so I don't want to re-assemble until I'm sure of its condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 06:57 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Heroux View Post
Hello all, I think I am a new owner of an old Alfa. Specifically a 1750 GTV. I am in S.E. Michigan and would like to pick the brains of this community, which seems ridiculously well informed. I need to get to ten posts, so I'll start with asking for recommendations for transmission work (synchro issues) and engine work (assesment of work done to the engine which is currently apart but supposedly machined.) I never heard it run so I don't want to re-assemble until I'm sure of its condition.
Contact member @gprocket. He offers full restoration work and possibly anything else you might need.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 07:52 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Try Dean Russell at Trail Auto in Michigan. He's been working on Alfas for quite awhile!

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'n excited! How do you get 10,000 plus posts? I can't even get 10!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Also thanks to Ossodiseppia. I've seen sprockets posts, knew he was enthusiastic, didn't know he did the work. Only an hour away.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Stupid autocorrect, I know its gprocket.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 06:21 AM
Joe Elwell
Gold Subscriber

Rob - the second best thing about owning a classic Alfa is this board. I just bought a GTV6 which I'm loving, and have gotten great advice here already. Enjoy the car!
Joe
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 08:03 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

10,000 posts? Easy! ALL BB MEMBERS ARE FRIENDS! More interesting than most other Social Media venues. Talk to members. Nothing too it.

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 08:41 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to spiderJohnNH Send a message via Skype™ to spiderJohnNH
And get involved in AROC and your local chapter. Meet Alfisti to share war stories and advice. Best thing I have done since acquiring my Alfa in 2015.

John

John R
So. NH, USA --'87 Spider Veloce
See you along the road - member of AROC/AONE

other current members of the fleet

2017 VW Jetta Tsi
2006 Subaru Outback - almost a driveway requirement in VT & NH
2007 Toyota Corolla

previous
2009 VW Jett TDi (Deer took this one out)
1984 Mercedes 300TDT wagon, rust took that one
1972 Mercedes 280SE, got in straight swap for the Discovery
1996 Land Rover Discovery
1986 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon
1962 VW Bug - 6 volt
1974 Triumph Spitfire - wobbly driveshaft kept destroying stuff
1972 Triumph Spitfire - got totaled while parked at DMV

some others that were less interesting
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Wow, I love enthusiastic people! I'm going to look at the car today. Verbal agreement on price, but I don't buy lots of cars so I'm a little nervous about the whole process. Transferring titles, paying for the car before possession (has to be shipped) etc. Also, what color am I going to paint it? AARGH..Thanks for support.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 09:08 AM

Garage
Project GTV

Rob,

Welcome to the BB. There is plenty of information on the BB. I restored a '69 GTV several years ago at Vintage Customs. Some words of advice:
1. Have a clear and detailed plan of what you want for the restoration.
2. If you are having others do the work, expect to pay more than you have planned (it just happens - unforeseen problems do arise).
3. Consider farming out what you cannot do (i.e. body work, paint, etc.) and focus on what you can do to keep the costs down.
4. It may take longer that you anticipated to restore, so be patient. It will be worth it in the end.

I am sure others can chime in as well.

Start off with the best car you can afford (body-wise). This will be the biggest restoration expense.

Good luck!

Tom Alkire

'94 Spider Veloce CE, '69 GTV (fast road/ track day car)
'65 Giulia Super (project car), 1 '67 Giulia Super Parts Car

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode