Wanted A really great 84-86 GTV6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

A really great 85-86 GTV6

I'm looking for a really really great 1985-1986 GTV6. Red/tan is strongly preferred, although I will consider other colors.

Mileage must be reasonably low and documented, rust must be minimal, no cosmetic or mechanical needs. I realize that there are very few GTV6 cars remaining out there in this kind of condition, and I'm willing to pay up for a condition 2 or better car.

Thanks in advance!

(Edited to change "1984" to "1985")

Last edited by weneversleep; 09-05-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Bump. I may be asking for too much of a unicorn, I realize that. But, there has to be something out there.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 10:49 AM

Where are you located?

1974 Spider Veloce
1984 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 12:26 PM

I have an 84 GTV6 Red/Tan with No rust, would that work?
Thanks

1974 Spider Veloce
1984 GTV6
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastracer View Post
I have an 84 GTV6 Red/Tan with No rust, would that work?
Thanks
I am in Houston, TX, but I am willing to consider any car in the continental US.

Please PM pictures and info about your car. Thanks!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 02:56 PM

Why are you set on a late car? Have you owned a GTV6 or any Alfa before?

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingswim2006 View Post
Why are you set on a late car? Have you owned a GTV6 or any Alfa before?
I want a late car because I want the Recaro seats, the cosmetic changes, the different wheels, the upgraded A/C, and all of the other changes and mechanical improvements that came along.

I currently own two Series 4 Alfa Spiders. Also looking for a Series 1 boat tail.

I'm not new to the Italian car game. I actually own a small dealership and specialize in Ferraris from the 70s/80s/90s. I also have a personal collection of cars, mostly Ferraris.

I've always wanted a GTV6, though. Haven't ever owned one. I was one of the underbidders on Zinhead's car on BaT last year, the 22K mile red/tan 86, and I am still kicking myself for not stepping up to buy that car. (can't post link, not enough posts on this forum) I get to stare every day at a Luci del Bosco Metallizzato 85 car that is not and will not be for sale, that is in our storage facility, and the itch is getting powerful again.

So, that's my story. Basically, I just want a GTV6, and I want a really good one.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weneversleep View Post
I want a late car because I want the Recaro seats, the cosmetic changes, the different wheels, the upgraded A/C, and all of the other changes and mechanical improvements that came along.

I currently own two Series 4 Alfa Spiders. Also looking for a Series 1 boat tail.

I'm not new to the Italian car game. I actually own a small dealership and specialize in Ferraris from the 70s/80s/90s. I also have a personal collection of cars, mostly Ferraris.

I've always wanted a GTV6, though. Haven't ever owned one. I was one of the underbidders on Zinhead's car on BaT last year, the 22K mile red/tan 86, and I am still kicking myself for not stepping up to buy that car. (can't post link, not enough posts on this forum) I get to stare every day at a Luci del Bosco Metallizzato 85 car that is not and will not be for sale, that is in our storage facility, and the itch is getting powerful again.

So, that's my story. Basically, I just want a GTV6, and I want a really good one.
Well, I hope you find a good one. They're great (I've had 11 GTV6's from bone stock to a 24V-powered hotrod screamer - others may have had more but probably not within that broad spectrum of trim) - I asked to see if you had an idea of what and why. I offer a few tidbits below. Funny about that Bring a Trailer car - that car originated in Colorado and a series of owners who would "never sell" ended up selling - for a 20k premium all in a few short months after being dusted off from a storage unit. Nice car but I hope it finally found a good home. I say you should be hopeful - there are absolutely nicer ones (I know of several) out there waiting to come out and "play," maybe one of those owners is reading and will send you a note

For posterity's sake, I should state that many consider the early cars to be better built, with fewer compromises (i.e. a more "pure" version of the GTV6). The late cars got some features that were incorporated from the 75/Milano development like the shorter torsion bars and shift linkage (i.e. more mass produced). The late A/C with second evaporator is a US-only thing - none of them really work like a modern A/C system but you already know that if you're familiar with 70's or 80's Ferraris! What dealership is yours? The 84 and up seats aren't actually Recaros, but they do have that sort of style (discussed elsewhere here on forum - the mesh headrests usually trick people. The ONLY 2 Alfas to receive Recaro seats in the USA were the Milano Verde and the 164).

If you're making a wish list, you may consider to add further that the car have the later style single-disc clutch, fresh timing belt with updated non-leaker tensioner, fresh driveshaft, and a proper chassis configuration (i.e. ride height, bushings, original equipment installed). A 3.0 engine does not detract from value, and doesn't sound any less good despite what BaT users seem to think, and makes the car more usable - all the while being an invisible improvement.

Final note: I would suggest you consider any year GTV6 if it's in superb "stock" condition as the differences behind the wheel are somewhat minor but they are noticeable; each have their own charm. Drive a few! I know there are at least 2 absolutely stunning examples in the Houston area (and as of this week, confirmed to be bone-dry still!). The Luci del Bosco color is sensational, by the way...

Best of luck.
John533i likes this.

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 10:15 PM

Garage
Good luck with your search and in the event you expand it, I have a nice 83 silver/black with mods that I could be persuaded to sell for the right price (I have another project that is hungry). Racingswim has the most refined GTV6 radar on the planet so he may be able to help too.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

racingswim2006, thank you for your extensive help. I have read it carefully, and I really appreciate your time in writing that.

If you can convince any of those owners, especially in the Houston area, to pry one of them loose, I'll happily pay you a finders fee.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 08:30 AM

I sent you a pm now
Quote:
I am in Houston, TX, but I am willing to consider any car in the continental US.

Please PM pictures and info about your car. Thanks!

1974 Spider Veloce
1984 GTV6
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Bump. Still looking!

(fastracer, I tried to respond to your PM, but I don't have enough posts yet...)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 10:16 PM

Garage
Customer approached me today of selling his 86 red/tan gtv6 in very good condition today, milage ~80k. I will contact him tomorrow to get info and contact information from him.
Please let me know if you are still looking.
Thanks

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notchback67 View Post
Customer approached me today of selling his 86 red/tan gtv6 in very good condition today, milage ~80k. I will contact him tomorrow to get info and contact information from him.
Please let me know if you are still looking.
Thanks
Yes! I am still looking. Please contact me. Thank you!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 10:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Yes! I am still looking. Please contact me. Thank you!
Can't send you a pm, due to low thread count.

turns out its a 84 , clean , red /tan , below 80k.

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode