For Sale 1960 Giulietta Sprint (abnormale) project - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ChiapC
  • 1 Post By divotandtralee
  • 1 Post By lee88

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
1960 Giulietta Sprint (abnormale) project

Hi folks - I'm putting my 1960 Giulietta Sprint restoration project for sale. I was excited to tackle this project but realistically I won't be able to put any time into it for the foreseeable future. Wife has some health stuff going on right now (she's going to be ok), plus day job and small child mean little spare time in my garage for quite a while.

This is a 101 Series Bertone Sprint Normale coupe, chassis AR 1493 21711. According to Alfa Centro Documentazione the car was manufactured on Jan 20, 1960 and sold May 2, 1960 in Naples Italy. It appears that the car has been in the US for nearly all of its life though, as there is a sticker on the windshield from Naval Air Station Oceana in Virginia Beach from 1964. Many years ago the prior owner (AROC member in DC area) installed a 1600 Veloce motor from a 105 series GTV / Duetto and 5 sp transmission which are fitted to the car today, the original motor & trans are no longer with the car. Originally an Iseo Blue car which you can still see behind interior panels, though it was repainted at some point in a pearl white color.

The body is overall in decent shape with some paint bubbling in spots, some surface rust, and some small holes I've found in door sills. Floor pans, trunk, and most other structural areas seem to be in pretty good shape though I obviously haven't stripped it down to bare metal to fully assess.

Majority of trim and interior components remain with the car. I did some disassembly and cataloguing but not exhaustive. As far as I'm aware this is what's missing in terms of trim or is need of repair:
1) Bertone side badges
2) Chrome strip that runs down centerline of hood
3) Headlight knob (other 3 knobs are there)
4) Side marker lights
5) Passenger exterior door release (can be opened but button is cracked and is fiddly)

Again this isn't an exhaustive list but most of the major trim components are all there... bumpers, "airplane" on trunk, headlights & surround trim, etc. Seats, door cards, and other original interior pieces appear to be mostly there as well though will require restoration (interior is currently disassembled).

The 1600 will start with a little coaxing. The twin Weber DCOE27s are in good shape and appear to be in good working order, though there is no airbox / intake / brake booster in place. The brakes are currently non-functional, though the parking brake does function. The 5 speed shifts fine between gears though hasn't been road tested.

My plan was to do bodywork & paint (back to Iseo Blue), keep the 1600 & 5sp, and get all mechanical systems up to speed so this could be a fun non-original driver to enjoy with my wife and daughter. If someone wanted the basis to restore to factory original specifications you could of course source a 101 series 1300 and 4sp.

Car is located in the Providence, RI area and I am happy to coordinate w/ a buyer on transport. Folks in southern New England are welcome to come inspect the car in person if they'd like. Car is sold on bill of sale with current Rhode Island registration (RI doesn't issue titles for cars produced before 2000), as well as the prior Maryland title.

PM me for add'l photos. Asking price is $16,500 OBO. Posting here first and would love to see it go to a forum member, if there's no buyers in a few weeks I'll probably put it up on BAT or eBay.

Thanks,
Lee
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 09:02 AM

Please send more photos interior,inside pans ,trunk , side rockers and under side photos..
Thank you
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Sent you PM with additional photos and responded to the other PM's I received. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 02:50 PM

Shipping

What would shipping to California cost anyone got a good transport
Let me know
Mike
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 08:44 PM

Plan on $1200-1400 to get it here in CA. Winter may make things interesting for that trip.

I just had a great experience with Straight Shooter Transport. They get my vote.

Excellent car by the way.... very close to pm-info for additional, but I realized I didn't need another toy! Boring.... I know!
lee88 likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiapC View Post
Plan on $1200-1400 to get it here in CA. Winter may make things interesting for that trip.
That sounds about right though not sure if that would be an open transport or an enclosed truck. I bought my Sprint GT from CA and had it shipped back east with Intercity Lines (enclosed) and I think I paid a bit over $2,000. They may charge an extra $100 or so to load/unload a car which cannot be driven on/off the transport.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 04:58 AM

Call me Santa's helper.. what's another $800 among friends for the dead nuts proper motor?.. in Philadelphia, very convenient .. So you sell the 1600 and carbs for a profit and install the correct one. When all said and done a better proposition in the end.

Happy selling and buying.... PS I can do a PPI for the usual expected fee with pictures and details. I'm 80 miles away. Uncle

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa...frt-cover.html
lee88 likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 08:06 AM

I am looking for a person to setup shipping last time I got quote dubbed before I could get shipped do not want to make the same mistake by buying before I know what my cost is
Thanks for any info help
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Again I've had good experience shipping cars with Intercity Lines. You can obtain a quote online, via email, or telephone here:
Request a Quote - Intercity Lines

They are not a broker, Intercity is a shipping company themselves that employs their own drivers and trucks. Some "transporters" are simply brokers who try to find open slots in trucks operated by others so pricing can change dramatically. I've shipped with Intercity multiple times and the quote is always the actual price if you book shipping soon after the quote.

If you would like to purchase the car and pay for the shipping, I am happy to coordinate with Intercity or other transporter of your choice.

Thanks,
Lee
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Brief update after following up with a number of folks who PM'd.

I actually do have the headlight knob so I misspoke above, it's not currently installed but all of those 4 knobs in the center of the dash are with the car.

In addition to the above, I know that the car is missing the passenger side windshield wiper (arm + wiper missing) and currently does not have any hubcaps. The wheels do have new Vredstein tires (still have stickers, though date code is from 2014).

Thanks,
Lee
Glen27 likes this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Last call here on AlfaBB. I had several folks inquire both online and in person, but thus far no buyer. I'll put the project up on BAT or eBay in the next week or two if there isn't further interest here. Thanks for looking.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 08:41 AM

Hello, Interested in the car

Hi,

I have a few questions. I have a 69 duetto and a stepnose, currently looking for a sprint. Please call me or email me. The site wont let me post an email, but I'm at jdonward at hotmail
Thank you. I'm in Victoria Canada
John
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 01:52 PM

Sprint

Hi Lee, Is the car still available ?

I'm interested in purchasing it, can you please email me your details to discuss?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 02:47 PM

I have a 1960 Sprint engine for that car if anyone is interested.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thanks for the replies and PM's. Quick update as of March 1, I've provisionally agreed with a buyer and am taking a deposit on the car. So as of now the car is not available. The prospective buyer is based in Canada and is sorting out some transport and importation logistics. If the transaction does not ultimately go thru and the car becomes available again I will let folks now. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode