Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1974 GTV -- Needs full restoration -- 34,000 miles

For Sale 
5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mopdahl 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought the car about 7-8 years ago, title in hand, the plan was to restore the car to a street/track type, but other auto projects and interests have taken over and I realize I will probably never get to this car.

VIN: AR 3024013

The last registration on the car was from 1984, it has 34,291 original miles. I bought it from a guy who had it in a storage locker in northern IL, we dug it out of the storage locker and brought it home. The head was off the car when we bought it, I pulled the engine, trans, driveshaft and interior out right away. The floor boards look awesome, I was pleasantly surprised to find the floors were solid and super clean.

Rust -- there is rust in the trunk at the spare tire well and fuel tank area, rust on the sills and the bottom of the door skins. Also rust around the windshield cowl. I took a bunch of pics of those areas and put them in the album. I bought new sills from Wolf (Wolf Steel Car Body Rust Repair Panels) years ago and have never even taken them out of the box except to peek.

The brakes are still intact as is the suspension, I didn't take any of that stuff apart. It rolled off the trailer when I brought it home and the brakes worked, I've had it on rollers for about 5 years so I assume the brakes don't work. I will include the rollers in the sale so the car can roll onto someone else's trailer.

If you plan to use this car for anything other than a full restoration or parts you are fooling yourself, it's a restoration candidate -- a few weeks of body work and you're onto the mechanicals. The suspension restoration is pretty simple and the interior I had planned to keep stripped with a 6 point cage so I wasn't concerned with the condition of the carpet upon removal. I have all the interior parts in a crate and the engine, trans, driveshaft, rear windscreen, etc are all there. Dashboard has typical cracks.

I also have a weber 40 manifold to rebuild the motor with carbs instead of SPICA -- which was my plan, yours may be different.

Car is located in Milwaukee, WI and stored indoors in a climate controlled environment since I've owned it. The only trade I'm interested in is a 8.5x20 enclosed trailer. I want to sell this car and buy a trailer for our other projects.

PICS CAN BE FOUND HERE: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8jh-Ras0URfQVdOR19ORk8yVGc

Please email me at davidswernoff@gmail.com with questions -- no thread dumping required here, if you don't like the car or have something nasty to say please keep it out of this thread.

Asking $6500

David

See less See more
#2 ·
The link only takes me to a pic of the odometer. Anyone else or is it just me? GREAT post BTW, good luck with the sale!

#6 ·
Hi, I haven't yet posted an intro yet, as I'm new to this board but I'm looking forward to sharing the restoration of this, and am grateful for the opportunity to do so. I've wanted one of these since I saw one on a DC street 25 years ago. This is my first Alfa resto, but I've done a build on a M5 and a FJ40. Something tells me this is going to be the most challenging. Thanks to the board I've already found and talked to the local Alfa guy here in Detroit.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.