For Sale Callaway GTV6 in Chicago - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Callaway GTV6 in Chicago

All,

A friend and longtime AROC member has his all original Callaway GTV6 for sale on eBay right now. Enjoy!

Alfa Romeo Other Callaway Twin Turbo GTV6 | eBay

Marco
Attached Images

sptsdn and Ragnomaniac like this.

Last edited by MPMB; 10-18-2016 at 04:12 PM. Reason: adding pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 04:25 PM

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 06:58 PM

Will this be the first GTV6 to break $40k??? I'm thinking it might reach $50.

GrecoRomanAris
'86 Spider Veloce *Black/Tan*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 05:51 AM
Gold Subscriber

The photos reveal it is the real deal. Nicest one I have seen (including my own - drats).

Explore our Alfa Family at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and BB threads about Transcontinental Alfa Road Trips:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, &
. &
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 03:37 PM

I've seen and inspected this car in person recently. Send contact info if you'd like feedback.

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 03:54 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Are those originall alloys for a Calloway? I thought they were from the SZ?

Ian Lomax - Current: 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano Platinum "racecar"
Past: 71, 74 Spiders, 2x 74 Berlina, 74 GTV, 76 Alfetta GT, 88 Milano 3.0, 164LS
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 04:48 PM

Garage
All I can say is wow! Surprised I haven't seen this car at least once at a show, meet or Besic Motorsports. Pulling for the seller here but I wonder why part with such a rare exclusive piece?

Paul
1990 Spider Quadrifoglio
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 04:53 PM

The two options available new for the Calloways were the rear spoiler and a set of 16 inch BBS mesh style wheels. This car would have come with the TRX wheels or Speedline wineglass wheels when new, with the BBS wheels a pricey option.

The OZ wheels on this car were a dealer supplied accessory that became available around the time the Milano came to the US, or 1987. The OZ's are probably the most desirable wheels for a GTV6.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 04:58 PM

Somebody in the BaT forum said the asking price was $75k?

as good as a car can be... briefly.
'82 GTV6
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 08:17 PM

Garage
Well the bid is around $32k and it hasn't reached the reserve. I'd think that $75k is much too much for a GTV-6, even a Callaway...but then again who knows. If it does fetch something like that, it will bring up the values of all our GTV-6's, too, at least a little. Maybe the upward trend starts here?
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 09:14 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinhead View Post
The two options available new for the Calloways were the rear spoiler and a set of 16 inch BBS mesh style wheels. This car would have come with the TRX wheels or Speedline wineglass wheels when new, with the BBS wheels a pricey option.

The OZ wheels on this car were a dealer supplied accessory that became available around the time the Milano came to the US, or 1987. The OZ's are probably the most desirable wheels for a GTV6.
The brochure shows the BBS mesh wheels ... with gold hubs. But wife insisted she would not drive a car with gold wheels so...
Attached Images

, &
. &
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Beautiful Callaway Cintos, spectacular actually. Would you please share some details on your ownership experience? Thank you.

Marco
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 04:45 AM
Gold Subscriber

Callaway ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPMB View Post
Beautiful Callaway Cintos, spectacular actually. Would you please share some details on your ownership experience? Thank you.

Marco
We've had the GTV-6 since fall of 2011. It has 107k on it, 10k of those on our watch. The Callaway is 99% stock GTV-6 by weight, so everything known (good & bad) applies. Except, of course the loud pedal effect. The engine is delightfully drivable, as the torque from the stock setup is there at low revs and it fires up and runs smooth as a GTV-6 should. Callaway had done minimal mods to the Bosch FI - which is why the kit passed EPA tests with flying colors. There is a boost-driven mini-fuler that dumps in the go-juice when she opens up, but that is not encountered in the standard testing.

Not being a competition driver, I can't really attest to how it performs relative to other cars, but I can say it is the most potent vehicle I have owned. The 2nd owner swapped in a Milano transaxle and the gearing is set up for performance. I hope to change that eventually, because at 65mph boost is only a feather-touch away, and I'd like to drop the rpm down a tad at cruise. Off the line quickly it is a bit tricky because of the lack of LSD - a wheel will light up and the rear suspension will hammer. But once rolling, choose the right gear and she scoots forward with authority. The manual states the turbo should not be on boost for over 60 seconds. I can't for the life of me remember when I've had it engaged for more than 10, as that will take you well beyond my speed tolerance. Perhaps on a track with long straights?

When GM bought one and put it through its paces at their test track, the were impressed at its durability, drivability and performance compared to their emission-saddled Corvette. With a $$$$ contract from Chevy, Callaway's attentions to Alfa were history.

This particular vehicle is the 4th of the 5 prototypes, and was used by AR as a publicity vehicle for several years - I get the benefit of their attention to the maintenance. The 2nd and 3rd owners did likewise, which is why it has held up so well mechanically and visually.

Back to the topic at hand, the eBay Callaway offering looks to be in better shape from an engine/chassis patina and interior preservation that ours, a real cream puff and a better example of the breed than mine. I have no personal knowledge of the ownership history or it actual mechanical condition.

, &
. &

Last edited by Cintos; 10-20-2016 at 05:16 AM.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairmankaga View Post
Somebody in the BaT forum said the asking price was $75k?
I talked to the owner about the $75k asking price and he told me that the 75k sales figure comes from some private emails and conversations to certain individuals to try to establish a value on the Callaway when it went public back in January/ February this year. There have been many conversations and public showings of the car since then. A fair market value has been established with the input of many Alfisti and honorable collectors and the reserve price now reflects that.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 07:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPMB View Post
I talked to the owner about the $75k asking price and he told me that the 75k sales figure comes from some private emails and conversations to certain individuals to try to establish a value on the Callaway when it went public back in January/ February this year. There have been many conversations and public showings of the car since then. A fair market value has been established with the input of many Alfisti and honorable collectors and the reserve price now reflects that.
So to "buy it now" as it were would be $75k? That can't be the reserve on the auction can it? More power to him if he gets that much for the car...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode