F/S Al Leake's "Sophia" '57 vintage race car - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

F/S Al Leake's "Sophia" '57 vintage race car

Al Leake's beautiful '57 Spyder vintage race car is for sale. Here is the link

eBay Motors: Alfa Romeo Giulietta Vintage Racecar (item 110218917396 end time Feb-03-08 12:37:48 PST)

I would love for this car to stay on the West Coast as my history with this car goes back over 30 years.

Wes
Winner 24 Hours of Lemons, Finally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 10:09 AM

I bought a Milano Verde from Al back in 89. As part of the deal my young son was invited to be part of the pit crew on this car at a nationals race day at Sears Point. Al gave him a can of car wax and asked him to wax the car. Worked for a few minutes until my son knocked over the wax bottle and spilled it all over the hood. Al won the race going away that day.

Jack
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:40 PM

This is a very desirable car, and the price will certainly reflect that. It has 6 days to go and it's already over $31k!

Best regards,

Enrique
[SIZE="1"]Spider 74, 84 & 87
Milano 88 Verde
164 91S, 93L & 95Q[/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][I][COLOR="Green"]Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE]
[B][FONT="Verdana"][RIGHT]DARKSIDE MEMBER[/RIGHT][/FONT][/B]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 06:26 PM

I'll bet there is not a soul on this board that wouldn't LOVE to own that car! Awesome!
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 06:37 PM

Al also had a bunch of projects that he was restoring. I wonder if they will be on ebay too.
I remember he had a couple gtv's that he was making fiberglass doors for, Im interested to see what stage they are in now.

Great car.

1992 Acura NSX
2003 Mini S
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Al's Cars

I have been tasked with selling off Al's cars and parts. At this moment we still haven't figured out exactly how that is going to happen. There is a ton of stuff and I need to sort and figure out what there is. The cars will probably go first with the parts going after that. When stuff starts to come up for sale I'll let the Alfa bb know.

Wes
Winner 24 Hours of Lemons, Finally
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 10:44 PM

Hi Wes -

A long time ago, I bought one of Al's old Alfettas (that was a looong time ago!) Anyway, you have PM.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 08:14 AM

Has something happened to Al that would cause this selloff?

Jack
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jborchel View Post
Has something happened to Al that would cause this selloff?

Jack
Jack, Al has passed away... There is another thread on the BB about this: "Al Leake A notable Alfisti"

Best regards,

Enrique
[SIZE="1"]Spider 74, 84 & 87
Milano 88 Verde
164 91S, 93L & 95Q[/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][I][COLOR="Green"]Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE]
[B][FONT="Verdana"][RIGHT]DARKSIDE MEMBER[/RIGHT][/FONT][/B]
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 08:18 AM

Never mind. I found this through Google:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/moto...e-alfisti.html

Jack
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 02:06 PM

Asking price? more pictures please.

I have noticed that the ebay listing says "advertised". Sooo.... is there an asking price established? Does the vin number confirm the car as a 1957? Vin# Please. Do you have pictures of the interior, engine compartment, interior and undercarrage? The car appears to be set up as a Sebring Spider. Can this car be raced with that set-up in vscda or svra?? Would the car be streetable enough for the Mille Miglia? What modifications does the car have?

Sorry for all of the questions. I know this is a well known car on the West Coast but I would really need more detail to make a realistic offer (for me or the dealership I work for).

Thanks!

David Alexander
Riverside, IL

'77 Nuova Super 2.0
'76 Alfetta Gt 3.0 24 valve race car project
'82 GTV6 3.0 24 valve street car
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 02:53 PM

More than a racer.

I met Al at Laguna Seca in 2003. I'd just purchased my '65 Giulia Spider Veloce and planned to go racing. Over the next few years he helped me learn to go faster smarter. He often cautioned me not to take my youth and energy for granted but also never to forget the lessons to be learned from those who have gone before. Al was a big WWII buff and I believe he collected Jeeps too. We often talked about the HBO show, Band of Brothers and "The Greatest Generation". He, along with a lot of the other 'older' guys in paddock taught me to how to listen and learn. I'm sad that I never told him that although we only visited on race days, he had a big impact me in general.

I'll miss you Al and your wisdom, kindness and gracious hospitality towards this young punk asking too dumb questions.

Your friend,
Martin.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 06:10 AM

Al Leake's last cars

I may have one of the last GTVs Al restored. It was a special project car 2 years in the making before the first bit of sand hit the old paint. Narrowed Al out of a pool of a half dozen Alfa restorers back in 2003-2005 from the US and Canada. Flew up to see him race in 2005 at Watkins Glen. From there forward Al was not just the guy fixing up an Alfa for me, but rather a friend I would speak with almost on a weekly basis on all things Alfa and more.

My wife and I made two trips to Boulder Creek to see Al and his wife Myr over the course of the restoration project that actually ended just a week before Al passed.

On our second trip in September 2006 Sharon and I got married in their back yard under three large Redwoods. Al and Myr were our witnesses. My project was a one-off GTV to GTAm conversion with a European TS motor. I am to take delivery in a week as it is being shipped to the East Coast.

I know of one other fellow from Canada who is having an almost identical transformation of a '73 GTV done, but his project was lagging behind.

For more on the project visit: Alfa Romeo 1971 GTAm

RIP Al,

JP
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSaleeby View Post
Flew up to see him race in 2005 at Watkins Glen.

I was fortunate enought to have taken this photo at the Vintage event in '05 at the Glen.
Attached Images

Loud pipes save lives.

1973 GTV - bought 3/06, intend to keep forever
1969 GTV, #AR1530021 - sold 10/72, guess didn't intend to keep forever
Current project: '69 Corvette bought in '73, DD '73 - '80, in storage 1989-2002, now apart

Last edited by lowmileage; 01-30-2008 at 06:31 AM.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 09:48 AM

Garage
Al Leake

Al was a force to contend with on and off the track. His easy way, abundance of stories over a wide range of subjects and Alfa expertise will be far from forgotten from those who knew him. He was pinnacle in transforming my 63 Giulia spider into what I feel is an amazing track car. It truly showed me what a real Alfa race car was supposed to be like. I was lucky to race with and against him and hold my time with him on & off the track very close. His wife is gracious, charming and always quick with a kind word. My heart goes out to her and all their family. Peter Inshaw
Attached Images

Peter Inshaw 59 Touring Spider 2.0, 63 Spider 1600, 67 GTV 1750, 67 Giulia Super Project, 73 Berlina TS, 91 Spider Veloce, 2018 Stelvio TI Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode