For Sale US Spec 1969 GTV 1750 in SC - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

US Spec 1969 GTV 1750 in SC

Within the week, I'll be posting pics and details for my GTV. I just don't have the time and extra cash to spend on it the way I'd like. It just needs a good home. Here are brief details:

Chassis #: AR 1530508
Model: 1750 GT Veloce USA (105.51)
Manufactured: June 19, 1969
Sold: June 20, 1969 to Alfa Romeo Newark, U.S.A.
Body: "Ocra" yellow (AR 109)
Interior: black skai

The car is located in Summerville, South Carolina.

Dale Thomas
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 04:50 AM

No picture link.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 08:03 AM

PM sent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your interest!

Well, I'd say from all the private messages I've received, there is a great deal of interest in the car. I fully understand that. The '69 is considered the sweet year for the GTV.
Please don't be offended if I don't reply to your PM...I've received a ton of them. Saturday is looking like a fair weather day, so I'll try to roll it out this weekend to get pictures. I'll put together a full post then with all the details...when I have the pictures ready. I'll make sure everyone's questions are answered in the post. I will say this. The car does have the original 1750 engine, however the installed SPICA and airbox are not original. The good news is that I have a freshly rebuilt correct pump from Wes Ingram and a correct airbox that will come with it.

Dale
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Some Pictures

The weather was nice and I had time so I took some pictures in the driveway today after work. More pictures and details coming soon. As everyone knows, the pictures always look better than the car in person. Here's a link to the pictures:

1750 GT Veloce Photos by daothomas | Photobucket

The tires and wheels have less than 100 miles on them. Brakes freshly rebuilt...new rotors, Goodridge lines, rebuilt calipers, Master Cylinder rebuilt by papajam....more...

Extra stuff coming with the car:
1. Correct 1969 SPICA pump freshly rebuilt by Wes Ingram (still in box)
2. Four cleaned injectors
3. New Magnaflow Stainless Exhaust (still in box)
4. Nice original dash
5. New Mahogany wood for dash (unopened)
6. New electronic ignition (ID405)
7. New Coil
8. Extra 2L engine from '77 Spider
9. Correct '69 Airbox and intake
10. More
tom ward and james2000 like this.

Dale Thomas - 1969 1750 GTV
Summerville, South Carolina

Last edited by Dale; 03-18-2015 at 07:05 PM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 01:46 AM

Price??

How much are you asking for this nice motor ?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Additional Info and Price

Since I have been flooded with PM's, I'm going to try and provide some quick info to alleviate any frustration I may be causing.

I purchased the car from a gentleman in California back in 2007 or 2008 (black license plate as seen in trunk pictures). I had the car shipped to South Carolina. At the time, it was somewhat drivable but I noticed the brakes were crap, and the driveline had noticeable vibration. It didn't feel safe. I immediately put it up on stands in my garage, purchased new stainless brake lines, pads, rotors; and had Performatek rebuild the calipers. I had papajam (Jim Neil) do the master cylinder. I also bought new 14" Panasport rims (Anthony Rimicci) and nice tires (Yokohama AVS ES100 205/60R/14 - Tire Rack). The driveline vibration was due to a chunk missing out of the guibo. That was replaced immediately. I was very happy with the car's lack of structural issues. The floorboard, trunk, bottoms of doors and everything else looked fine. The paint is a repaint. It looks pretty good, but it could be better. There were and are paint bubbles on the passenger side quarter panel, but it hasn't progressed at all. The jack points are solid. The dash looked like crap with no veneer, having indicators hanging out and dash sporting the cap, so I purchased a nice used dash and new veneer from Centerline. They have not been installed. Due to priorities, the Alfa was the last thing I spent money on and it has sat in the garage for many years. When I put it up on stands, I sprayed WD40 in each cylinder and removed the tank. I had the tank lined by a local shop that specializes in tanks of all sorts. I recently put it back in and re-plumbed the trunk. It still needs minor work. A previous owner cut the fuel neck in two...rubber fuel hose connects them now. I noticed the SPICA and air box were incorrect, so I purchased correct replacements. TA seems to function just fine. Only recently did I have Wes Ingram rebuild the pump to normal specs (not race). I also gave him 4 injectors for cleaning. The car still has the incorrect SPICA and air box installed as well as the original injectors. The new owner can mount the rebuilt SPICA and install the freshened injectors. The correct air box needs to be painted if you want it looking really nice. The car has red coils and shocks installed. I don't know the brand/history on them, but from the ride height, the car seems to be a touch lower than stock. The exhaust is actually fine, but since I've got the new stainless Magnaflow system in the box, just install it. The ignition system is fine as well, but I have a new Bosch Blue coil and new ID405 electronic system ready to install. I toyed with the idea of building up a 2L engine with Webers so I sourced a suitable engine and bought a front engine cover for the conversion. Both come with car free so do with as you please. If you don't want the engine, the price won't change however, so please don't ask.

What are the issues and what does the car need? That's subjective, but here is my viewpoint, but it really depends on what you want to do with the car.
- The original 1750 engine runs fine but weeps some oil. So does the rear differential. If I were to keep it, I'd pull both and have new gaskets installed. I have the gasket for the bottom of the rear diff.
- The transmission has the usual 2nd gear synchro issue but it's not terrible. If I were to keep it, I'd have that fixed.
- Underneath the car is oily and dirty but is otherwise fine. Once new seals are installed, that should be fine once a good cleaning is done.
- Almost all rubber/seals underneath the car need replacement...again my opinion. If I were to keep it, I'd have poly bushings installed and have ball joints, etc. replaced. Those things aren't terribly expensive and totally change the way a car feels so it just makes sense.
- The axle straps look like crap. Replace them.
- The driver door has a minor ding where it has opened too far due to limit strap being broken. It's a very minor ding but you can see it in the pictures. Replace the straps.
- The dash looks like crap as is. If I were to keep it, I'd take the dash and new veneer I'm providing, install the veneer, tidy up the wiring and install. Easy job and it would look golden. Install supplied veneer in console as well.
- The fuel sender needs to be replaced. I bought one, but for the life of me can't find it. Buy another.
- The handles for the rear windows look like crap. I have new replacements. If I were to keep it, I'd install them and it would be golden.
- The rear deck behind the rear seat could use a recovering but isn't bad.
- The engine compartment needs a good cleaning. I have all new hoses and belts in a box. The ones on the car are okay, but I'd replace them anyway...due to age.
- The rubber trunk mats that came with the car looked like crap and were cracked so I tossed them. Replacement recommended.
- Fuel door missing rubber boot. I have the replacement rubber. I tried to install it but that has got to be the hardest thing I ever tried. Have at it.
- The passenger door doesn't open from the outside. I have new door handles so just install them. That's why I have the door panel off on that side. I wanted to see what was happening. I just haven't had time to install the replacements.

I think that's it. The car can be test driven, but due to worn components up front I wouldn't consider it safe for any distance. The new owner will want to trailer it.

Oh, I have the bumpers and will install shortly. They're fine but not perfect condition. I have a good supply of other little parts for the car, new rear lenses, new mirrors, new door handles, extra valve cover, extra lower oil sump, etc. that will be included of course. If I've left anything out, it is due to my age only.

Please understand that I am not financially strapped nor in any sort of bind so please don't entertain the thought of sending me a low ball offer. Also, I'm not trying to fund my retirement. No matter what price I put to the car, some will say I asked too little while others will cry heresy for asking such a price. It always happens. We all value these little gems differently and that's one thing we can agree on. My bottom price for the car and all the stuff that comes with it is $15,000. If I can't get that, I'll keep it and continue to work on it as funds allow. Please don't ask if I'm willing to sell this piece or that. I won't reply. I am going to go in the order of the PMs I received...that's only fair. I will install the bumpers this weekend and take more pictures. I'll try to shoot video as well and upload it to YouTube. When you PM me, please provide your full name, phone number and address. I will start replying to PMs this evening.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Body: "Ocra" ....
The car is located in Summerville, South Carolina.
Dang! Even the colors are called different in the South!

Ken
'73 GTV
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Clarification

I just wanted to clarify that if you are still interested, please send me another PM with your full name, tell me where you live and provide a phone number. Dale

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Correction on Spare Dash

I just got the spare dash out of the closet and unwrapped. I was wrong. I thought it was in great condition. It is cracked. I'll post pictures later. I apologize for the error. I'll throw in a Nardi steering wheel. Dale

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

I just received a deposit on the car. For those that were further down the list, i wish you the best in your search.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 05:25 PM

Location: Transplanted from Holland to The Armpit of New Jersey
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagt View Post
Dang! Even the colors are called different in the South!
I don't get it

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Oo--V--oO There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Ocra is Italian. Ochre is the English translation. Okra is what we eat down here.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 07:11 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I'm interested in that 2L motor if you end up selling car without it. I'm in Mount Pleasant. Thanks

Zaza

Current Alfas:

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
1987 Milano Verde
1970 Euro-spec GTV 1750

Refreshing 1750 GTV
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 09:01 PM

Location: Transplanted from Holland to The Armpit of New Jersey
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
Ocra is Italian. Ochre is the English translation. Okra is what we eat down here.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Oo--V--oO There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode