Wanted Wanted to Buy - Alfa Romeo Guilia Sedan - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Wanted to Buy - Alfa Romeo Guilia Sedan

Hi to all,

I am a long-time old Porsche guy who has decided he must own a Guilia Sedan before I get too old to own old cars (God forbid that time comes very soon, but you never know). I freely admit to knowing little to nothing about these cars other than how much fun they are to drive and how beautiful I think they are. I much prefer the look of the first series car, but I have seen backdated second series cars that seem great. I am looking for the best car that I can find, and while money is an object, I have learned to pay up for quality. My experience with Porsches has taught me to stick with unmodified or lightly modified cars with as high a percentage of well-preserved originality as possible, and that's what I am looking for here - but a repaint is certainly acceptable (preferable) and the type of modifications that improve reliability or the driving experience are generally OK. I can't abide red or black cars, but am open to all other colors, with Grey, White, Charcoal, Silver, and some shades of Green and Blue preferred. I drive my cars a lot but am also anal, so everything must work or be able to be made to work, and I care as much about what things look like underneath as I do up top. Right now I am more concerned with the condition of the car and the value/price relationship than I am which year or model I purchase, but like I said - I don't know these cars so that could change as I learn more.

If any of you have a car to sell that meets the criteria outlined above, you'll find me to be an honest and easy to deal with buyer. If one of you who has expertise in these cars is willing to help me through the process I am willing to pay a finders fee. Finally, if I have to import a car, if someone here has done that before and can guide me through the process and help me find the right car/agent to deal with, I would be happy to pay for your expertise.

I just joined this BB to start this search, so I don't know how things work here. If you wish to contact me, my email address is [email protected] and I am located in Ventura County, CA. Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Welcome aboard! With a wanted ad and significant money, you may be able to prise such a car out of someones hands, and occasionally one as you describe pops up, but not often, perhaps 1 per year. But just ask Mr Ganz, Bob Little, CDNpaul, Capp, Mtrhdw29, grbbenny, etc., all the guys who have posted Wanted ads for good "Giulias" abd who are still waiting.

Budget in the $20k+ to 30k+ range depending on how nice, original, concourse and solid you want it, perhaps more for pristine early Supers. But compared to Porsches, there are not many Giulia Super/TI sedans in the US. There were a lot of these made, ~560,000 from 62-77, but not many made it to the US and less survived. Some Euro TI's were imported between 62 and 66 and some Supers with US spec from 66-67, with Berlinas thereafter. With these numbers they will never be really "collectible", but they are relatively rare in the US and there is a price premium here, and prices have risen significantly in Europe over the past 4-5 years. The Giulia register shows only some 350 and there may be that many hiding out. I looked for 6 months and ended up going foreign 4 years ago. That has pluses and minuses. More hassle, risk, uncertainty, time and cost.

For a fair summary of the market, look at Post #1 of the "Wanted Alive" << LINK >> thread in the sedan folder. The picture thread and two "features" threads are all good to better understand the cars. These four threads are all "stickies". Disclosure: I have one for sale but it does not meet your criteria as it is very modified (and very nice) - LINK. Happy hunting.
Attached Images

Anfanuts; Ph.A., B.S.A., U. of NOTASME
Now
- Spider Veloce, '69 US1750/4.56 LSD (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) - since '75 for that early mid-life crisis!
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (
)(
) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

- for the heck of it now!!!
- Dijonaise- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (
) - for the 2017 Euro trip -

- "PF Ziggy" - 1991 ES-30 Sprint Zagato #550 - for pure hedonism now -

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (
) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog -

Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog -

Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog -

Dijonaise's 2017 6 week, 4400 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -

Dijonaise's 2019, 5 week, 3800 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -

Last edited by Anfanuts; 05-20-2014 at 05:39 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 01:33 PM
Gold Subscriber

Cool

Chip

Welcome to the "Super" section.

A long time ago the first Alfa I bought as a Daily Driver was a 101 Spider, then tired of canvas flapping I bought a 101 Sprint. Rust was appearing so I sold it and bought a new 69 Giulia Super. Because it had performance and was "stealthy". Drove it until it rusted out.

In 2006 I bought a 63 Spider, then in 2009 a 63 Giulia Sprint and last June bought a 67 Super.

In real time the Super was considered as an ugly car, but my comments included that when inside you could not see the outside. And that "form follows function".

Now when a variety of people see it they like it because it is so different.

I'm very happy with mine and "form really does follow function".

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 06:35 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
BTW: I posted this in a similar "wanted" advert a while back (cdnpaul). Still relevant; most of those same 7 are still looking or have moved on:

"Andrew runs the US Giulia register. It's on-line now. I don't know what the access requirements are but I have access to that privileged group. It shows some 350 in the US with some "non-op" and "non-reg" and even "parts" and "parted". I don't imagine it's all of them in the US, perhaps 2/3rds or 1/2?? If so, even 500 or so is not that many here of 560k made (0.1%). Like I said, I found 148 for sale on 7 sites in NW Europe a month ago on only one day, stats posted in the "Wanted Alive: A Giulia" thread. I personally know of 7 guys actively looking now and it's probably many more than that lurking. Seems like a small opportunity for an agent in NW Europe who charges a fee or percentage. Plus: Buyers can be so fickle about what they want in terms of color, model, features, that it's risky blindly importing one even if it is in the sweet spot for most US buyers - the Series 1-3 1600+ four headlight round gauge "Super" in a "right" color. Giving a good agent specs and going from there seems preferred. I do know the stash in NW Europe is dwindling and prices are going up. That's a good thing if you have a few."

Last edited by Anfanuts; 05-20-2014 at 06:38 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 09:40 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Did you bid on the nice looking white S1 Super on e-Bay that did not meet reserve at $21,600? Except for a couple of projects, that's the only one I've seen publicly that met your request.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode