For Sale Giulia Super, 2L, white/gray-black, Austin - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr ganz View Post
Still on the look out, for an early super.
you were right ,the good ones are north of 30, and rising .
I posted a link to a nice early Super in the "Wanted Alive" thread - LINK. Yea, $35k (+ S/H). Are you looking for specific color(s)? Are yoiu willing to look and import form Europe? What condition. PM me.

Anfanuts; Ph.A., B.S.A., U. of NOTASME
Now
- Spider Veloce, '69 US1750/4.56 LSD (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) - since '75 for that early mid-life crisis!
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (
)(
) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

- for the heck of it now!!!
- Dijonaise- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (
) - for the 2017 Euro trip -

- "PF Ziggy" - 1991 ES-30 Sprint Zagato #550 - for pure hedonism now -

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (
) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog -

Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog -

Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog -

Dijonaise's 2017 6 week, 4400 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -

Dijonaise's 2019, 5 week, 3800 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 11:41 AM

Hi. Bruce,

What is "window A/C"mean? Does the a/c work?

Darkside Member
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
It means "open the widow and you have A/C". Did I say that above?? No Supers came with A/C, in fact no 1600's as they could not drive it or so I hear; but a few have done it, notably Jason Arrington on his Super, and also Bill Gilham. I still toy with doing it on my green 2L. I hear it's even debatable if a 1750 can crank an A/C "effectively" when you really need it. Cheers, B

Last edited by Anfanuts; 06-15-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 12:09 PM

Ya, soon after I posted I figured that was the case. It would look a little funny to see a window a/c unit hanging out one of the windows. Maybe a small stream line swamp cooler would be work.

My wife is driving my daughter down to look at Baylor U this week and I thought if I could talk her into taking the truck, trailer and the cash they could look at the campus then swing by and load the Super to bring it home me.

Great look Super....Good luck with the sale!

Darkside Member

Last edited by msiert; 05-26-2014 at 12:13 PM.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Murray, Works for me. Going serially could take weeks/months while folks dither, plan and decide, or not. Trying to be fair but just might allow a scrum to form and jump on a full offer.

BTW, I have seen two auto/truck side window mounted swamp coolers. Even used one wayyy back on a hot trip to the Colorado River from LA/CA. You pulled a little cord to rotate the pad through a water bath. It was ram induction. The spare water was in one of those canvas bags you hung up front to keep it cool. Like the Grapes of Wrath. If you sat on that side, you were both cooler and much wetter. Saw one recently in a vintage truck at a car show.

Last edited by Anfanuts; 05-26-2014 at 02:12 PM.
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 03:15 PM

tested Alfas

Last Saturday I had the pleasure of meeting Bruce and his lovely wife Kristy, and of course test drive this automobile. it start just by turning the key, warm it (carbureted cars) and went for a long drive. It was like going back 40 years in Dominican Republic, when I drove several times a 1300 Super, except this one pulls from very low RPM. excellent braking and tracking like on rails. From a driving standpoint I strongly recomend this Alfa for any one looking for a Giulia Super. underside is perfect no rust issues.
Thanks Bruce for your attentions.

Juan T. Santos,
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 01:14 PM

Garage
I would love to drive / own this car. I gave away (literally) a '67 white sedan in the mid-80s. In hindsight, that sounds really stupid. But when I bought my 2-owner Duetto, the deal was I take ALL of the spare parts, and extra engine, and that **** white sedan out of his garage - his wife wanted it all gone. (He then bought a Maserati Biturbo).

My white '67 was a rolling shell, in very good condition - nice interior, perfect dash, no rust…just an old car. I lived in an apartment and we had my wife's Scirocco and a Fiat 124 Spider, and now a Duetto. No room and no place to swap engines etc…in this old white sedan. I asked around…."No value" I was told by the guy at Ralli-Round. "No one wants them" most people said.

So I gave it away to a guy who raced one in SCCA, for spare parts. He wasn't overjoyed about it either. I still have the engine. I had a set of the side marker whisker lights and turn signals for years.

End of long story.

Tell me more about the variations of grille designs. I've seen this style with the black background and 5 bars, I've seen (mostly 1300s) with a single headlight and 3 bars, and there are many with a full grille of horizontal chrome bars. Some have individual headlight bezels that stick way out. Some have a single-piece chrome surround that goes all the way around the headlights and across the lip of the hood.

How do you keep them all straight? Are they interchangeable?

Consider a road trip to Montana?
Thanks!
Attached Images

1967 1600 Spider

Last edited by Vivace; 06-03-2014 at 01:20 PM.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Hey Vivace, Nice story that dates back to when AMOST EVERYONE thought Supers were ugly ducklings and people were giving them away. Still widely misunderstood, but for those who do understand them, a sweet ride. Like I've pointed out, some 560,000 made but only several hundred in the US so even more mysterious here. Very popular in Europe back in the day and now in northern Europe. Everyone has a story about their dad/family, grandfather, or uncle having had one and many upscale folks learned to drive in one. We constantly got accosted by folks telling these stories when touring in Europe in one.

The grills are pretty simple actually and the crib sheet below helps:

1. 1600 TI's - full-face grills but full one-piece heart below hood, double headlamps (TI Super also but mesh for inner high-beam headlamps)[green/red car with girl above]
2. S1 (65-67) Supers - full-faced grill with split heart (the only one like this), double headlamps [gray car above]
3. Early 1300's (64-?) - full face pressed SS grill with single headlamps [like the bottom Azzuro spazio car above]
4. Middle 1300's (?-72) - three-bar grill over black mesh with single headlamps [like the celeste blue car above]
5. S2 (68-71) and S3 (72-74) Supers and 72-74 (Unificata) 1300 Supers - five bar grill over black mesh with double headlamps [the aubergine car above]
6. S4 Nuova Supers - black mesh plastic grill, double headlamps 5 1/4", fat heart, air holes below

One interesting fact is that the outers on Euro cars are dual filament H4 bulbs with both dipped/low and high beams, the inners (non-US) are high beam H1 driving lights. In high beam mode, all four headlamps lite and throw out a lot of light 2x(60+55w)= 230w. US cars (66-67) had inner fog lights since H1 (and H4) bulbs were illegal then.

Since the nose clip is the same they are interchangeable with a little work, but the Nuova is a bigger conversion to earlier styles.
Attached Images

Anfanuts; Ph.A., B.S.A., U. of NOTASME
Now
- Spider Veloce, '69 US1750/4.56 LSD (
)(
) - since '75 for that early mid-life crisis!
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (
)(
) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

- for the heck of it now!!!
- Dijonaise- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (
) - for the 2017 Euro trip -

- "PF Ziggy" - 1991 ES-30 Sprint Zagato #550 - for pure hedonism now -

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (
) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog -

Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog -

Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog -

Dijonaise's 2017 6 week, 4400 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -

Dijonaise's 2019, 5 week, 3800 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -

Last edited by Anfanuts; 06-08-2014 at 06:27 AM.
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 02:16 PM

Garage
Thank you - good info. I think I'm partial to the S1 full stainless bars style, but then that's the one I'm used to. Some of them have the little recessed triangles between the lights painted black.

RE: headlights - yes, I sold an extra set of inner lights with the glass nipple to a friend with a GTV who liked the look. Four highs is the way to go.

I shake my head when I remember mine…why didn't I even take photos..?? I had it for maybe two months, out on the street with no engine or trans. Neighbors were complaining.

Misunderstood, yes. I had a friend in Seattle with a dark green '67. In the rear side window was a tiny sticker. You had to get up close to read it: "Real Alfisti Drive Sedans."

1967 1600 Spider
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 08:18 AM

Bruce: I just wanted to thank you for all the information you've contributed to this board. I learned to drive in my father's '69 Berlina (owned 19 years and 219,600 miles from new).
I thought I would be looking for one of those but now realize that I would prefer a Super -
I will conveniently lay the blame off on you if/whenmy wife ever notices one parked in the driveway.
First I'm going to have to explain the "new" GTV6 (easier to do because it was cheaper?).
Truly, thanks for all your posts.

Long ago I owned Italian cars - Alfa/Lancia/Fiat. After 28 years without an Italian in my garage (excluding Mopeds and Scooters) one is back. '86 GTV6
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thanks! You might notice that there is one for sale in this thread. Not a cheap one, but not a project either.

We will be driving the land barge out to SoCal in a couple of weeks and for a firm deal, and I mean firm, I could be reluctantly persuaded for "at cost" to trailer the Giulia out. Would add a day, some extra gas and a trailer.
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 10:08 PM

Thanks for the chart Anfanuts, it has always been a bit difficult for me to follow the Super lineup.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
It's still not easy to follow with many cars having had trim modifications, but the basic body shell was the same all the way through, 62-77. Really need to go by VIN, then scope the additions. An interior is usually a dead give-way though.

PS: a lot of this model ID talk should probably be in another thread (one of the 2 Stickies in the Sedan thread) but if it helps folks ID what they want and what they are seeing, then I guess some of it is ok.

Last edited by Anfanuts; 06-08-2014 at 06:37 AM.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 06:26 PM

I agree, it can be very confusing to keep track of all the variations. In the end, it doesn't really matter. All supers are awesome! Nice car, the next owner will be stoked.

I would love to see a video of it being driven. If you decide to film something, I can host it for you. GLWS

1992 Acura NSX
2003 Mini S
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 08:26 PM
Platinum Subscriber

We're being anorakish here, but "Super" doesn't describe the line of Giulia sedans, though it's a common misuse. Super is one (or two) model(s) of many in the Giulia sedan line.

I bought my first Giulia in 1977, everyone thought it was hideous at the time. Almost no one liked them then.

Andrew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode