For Sale 1962 Giulia Spider, red, black, light project $12,500 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

1962 Giulia Spider, red, black, light project $12,500

I've been working on my 1962 Giulia Spider. While I worked, I'd like to think, it has become more valuable. After all, a red with black interior 1964 "normale," this car's virtual twin, sold at an auction for $82,500 this winter! I am not making that up... see 1964 Alfa Romeo Giulia Series 101 Images, Information and History | Conceptcarz.com

I was looking to get more from my car than I have in it but would sell it to a fellow Alfa fan right now for $12,500. That is $70,000 less than the Gooding car so it'd be hard for a buyer to lose, right? Realistically... I and others who follow the Alfa market know that this is more likely to be a $30-35,000 car when finished. But, you still have lots of wiggle room to come out ahead.

As the photos show, I have improved, but not perfected, the car's cosmetics. It is a very straight car, especially from the front wheels back. The nose was replaced with one that is now itself damaged; it could probably be salvaged but a replacement (e.g. from Wolf Steel) might be a good option too. The passenger door and most of the area behind it is original factory paint! It's not salvagable but it is cool to document the car's originality. Check out the rocker panels even, only the repainted part at the passenger front had rust damage. Tons of photos of the car as it is and while I worked on it are at Alfa-Base :: 1962 Giulia Spider project car, 2008-2009.

The engine was professionally rebuilt, and it and the tranny reinstalled last year. The brakes, fuel and cooling systems were overhauled then too.

Everything you see is included for $12,500 except the spare rear bumper ($1,000 extra). I have or can find the few missing pieces (one Pininfarina badge, driver door handle, 1600 badge). Missing are the soft top (frame is there), choke and hand brake cables, hood hinges, end piece for the original rear bumper, and air cleaner. Not much else! Gas tank boiled and painted, trunk rust repaired. There is rust to repair on the front inner rockers and a small bit at the driver's heel. Compared to most this car has very little rust, mainly because it was off the road from 1979 to 2009! Garaged and well kept.

Interior is mostly present too. The seats have turned crunchy and the carpets and dash cover are missing.

The car starts and runs very well, and is strong. Steering is a little stiff sometimes, otherwise the car drives brilliantly. It does pop out of gear in reverse only if you don't hold the shifter down.

This is a lot of car for $12.500. That is my absolute bottom line price. I am confident it will pull that or more on e-Bay and I plan to list it there by the end of April if someone does not jump on it before then.

While this car is drivable, the headlights are not installed and it has only been driven lightly since the work was done, so prudence would be to truck it.

I welcome any questions!

Thanks,
Brewster Thackeray
Arlington VA

All funds from the sale of this car will be used to finish the restoration of my 1961 Giulietta.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 06:20 AM

Hi brewster, very interested (at that price) would like to talk seriously (email?), especially in relation to logistics as I am in Australia, please contact me regards
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
If I understand the Alfa-Base site the engine was rebuilt using a different block. Do you still have the original block and what was wrong with it that you did not use it?

Brad
'69 Series 1 GTV (105.51)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'78 Alfetta GT (Sprint Veloce)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Engine specs

My mechanic, Doug Mitchell, felt that the original block was not going to work well. I don't recall why but something was rubbing. It looked fine to me, no cracks or anything, but I had a spare block that I knew was good and my goal was to get the car running in top form so I gave him that. He has the original block and I'll get it so it can be included with the car.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Time for e-Bay

Thanks to all for your interest! I think it's time to put Christina the Giulia up on e-Bay and see what she'll do. It'll be a no-reserve auction starting at $19.62.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 01:57 PM

nice giulia. did you sold the car? i buy the complete car. regards
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Did you name her Christina in hopes that she would rebuild herself?

Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 11:47 PM

hi brewster,
i buy your car included the rear bumper. please answer till the next two days. later its mille miglia time in italy and im not accesible.
thanks
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 03:57 PM

If not private sale when are you listing it? how/when was the replacement nose damaged?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Nose damage

I have no idea when or how the nose was damaged... between 1979 and 2009, I'd say, someone rolled it into something or something into it! These noses are so vulnerable...

I put the car on e-Bay tonight. The auction has no reserve and will end at 9 pm EST or 6:00 Pacific next Sunday the 9th.

--Brewster
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

ShadeTree, you know it! My neighbor saw me driving the car, in primer and with no lights or grill, and said "Man, that looks just like Christine!" He had a fair point... The car looks a lot better already, and has not killed anyone that I know of.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 05:57 PM

Hey are the pics with the girl only for ebay? We must be a much higher class of Alfista here.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Christine and Christina

Absolutely, Frank! It's like that old ad, Hagerty I think, with the young lady in the bikini and the text: "Pardon me, Miss, you're blocking my view of the car!" More of the Christine and Christina photo shoot are now up at Alfa-Base :: 1962 Giulia Spider project car, 2008-2009. Why should the guys with '68 Camaros and monster trucks have all the fun?

--Brewster
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 10:08 PM

I am looking for seats for my '65 Giulia Spider. Would you consider selling?

"When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." -- Henry Ford
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Wow! Christina has already been listed on e-bay by the new owner. That was quick!

He claims to have "ALL the parts to complete the car" but I don't see the missing driver's door handle, soft top, hood hinges or the air cleaner. Hmmm.

Brad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode