Alfa Romeo Forums banner

New 8C Competizione Paint Code

55K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  Craig_m67 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any idea what the new Alfa 8C red paint manufacturer and code is? I'll be repainting my Duetto and am considering various darker reds than the original AR 514, so if you have suggestions, please let me know and post a picture of your car if you can.

Since I'm from the U.S. and we have no new Alfas here, I'd be curious to know the same for the other new-production Rosso paint codes and manufacturers, in particular.

The 8C: http://www.autoblog.com/2006/09/29/paris-motor-show-world-premiere-alfa-romeo-8c-competizione/

Thanks!

#3 ·
Thanks Barryh! Oxblood red paint sounds very cool. If we were to do the car in dark blue, we'd do the interior in oxblood red. I'll try to go see an Audi TT in this color, but for the purposes of keeping it "Alfa" I think I'm leaning towards an Alfa Red of sorts. Granted, I know they're photoshopped, but the 8C Rosso photos are stunning. Kind of has a ruby hue to it, with out looking "rubino."

I welcome any further suggestions or insight as to the new 8C Rosso paint code.

Thanks!

#5 ·
Can't help you with the 8C colour code, sorry. All I have is this picture taken at the Paris Salon in 2006. It shows the four official colours of the 8C:

8C Rosso
Alfa Rosso
Nero
Giallo

As you can see, there's not much difference between Alfa Rosso and 8C Rosso in a picture of this dubious quality.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Thanks Vsix. Can you direct me to where I can read the article that quotes "Both cars have three-layer 8C Red paintwork"?

If it's the same color as the 2007 159 show cars, then that's very helpful. I can probably find that out.

Does anyone have a new 159 or any 1 year old Alfa possibly in the 8C Rosso? If so, please share the paint code (located in the trunk/boot?). Thanks!

#10 ·
Well, I know your heart is pretty much set on the 8C Red and it's not as new (been around for more than a decade) but how about the Rosso Proteo Metallizzato (Proteo Red Metallic, AR195)? Look at Vsix's avatar (156 sedan), that's the Proteo Red. My mother had a '96 Spider V6 and a '02 Sportwagon V6 w/ that color and it's my favorite contemporary Alfa color. It changes from a very dark red (darker than Oxblood) all the way to a sparkly bright red depending on amount of light present. Simply beautiful.

Just my $0.02.

Since I'm from the U.S. and we have no new Alfas here, I'd be curious to know the same for the other new-production Rosso paint codes and manufacturers, in particular.

#11 ·
The Proteo Red is a beautiful colour, but it would look strange on a Duetto in my humble opinion (or rather "in my taste"). The tender lines of a Duetto would drown in that dark red, but on a more muscular-looking car it would be fantastic. Again, to my taste.

How about the flat AR521 Rosso (dubbed "lipstick red" by a fellow Alfista) you find on Montreals? It's darker than the usual Alfa Rosso, but still very red.

Most of the new Alfas I've seen the paint sticker of bears the DuPont logo, but I've been told any car painter can mix any colour as long as he knows the original colour code.

Anyway, the Alfa Romeo 159 has a colour called "AR583 Rubino Red":

#13 ·
Well I agree with you 100%, but I thought it is a good option since DMAC seems to be in fond of dark red metallic...

The Proteo Red is a beautiful colour, but it would look strange on a Duetto in my humble opinion (or rather "in my taste"). The tender lines of a Duetto would drown in that dark red, but on a more muscular-looking car it would be fantastic. Again, to my taste.

#22 ·
Try the following glasurit site:

Color-Online

Then search on Alfa, and using some of the hints from previous posts, try a search on model "159", and Start Search.

There are indeed 2 reds shown - Rosso Alfa and a Rosso Rubino Pearl (now, who said that the 8C colour looked ruby-like)?

Hope this helps.
Reviving an old thread, since I'm now looking at colors to paint my car. Specifically, I'm looking for the non-metallic red that's used on the 8C, probably the "Rosso Alfa" as already discussed.

Can anyone confirm that this red as used on the 8C is indeed AR289? Would an owner of an 8C in this color be kind enough to look at the paint code on his/her car?

The second issue is that the Glasurit site shows at least 3 different formulas for AR289 (actually they call it 289/A). They reference it as being used on the 159 and the MiTO, but no mention of the 8C. Which formula would be correct, and which would be the one used on the 8C?

David
red-dily confused :confused:

#15 · (Edited)
Proteo Red is a bit less metallic than Rubino (which happens to be a rubbish colour for the 159 - good thing that the press cars were that colour..!), both are much darker than the 8C colour. I read in the Danish Alfa Romeo Club magazine that the 8C Rosso were used on a batch of show cars on a recent exhibition and that it was -very- expensive... I'll try to dig the magazine up later today.

Proteo 155:

Rubino 159:

8C Rosso:

#17 · (Edited)
Thank you for the pictures, Oelholm. One interesting thing about the Proteo Red is (as I mentioned earlier) that it changes its hue dramatically depending on amount of light. Compare the picture of the 155 (in Oelholm's post) to that of the 156 Sedan in Vsix's avatar, and that pretty much the darkest (155) and the brightest (156) it will get. In it's brightest hue, I think it's similar to the 8C Red (in Oelholm's post).

#18 ·
Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions. Still trying to confirm the 8C Rosso code. Maybe I'll send an email to the Archivio Storico (event though it's a new car) to see if they can be of assistance. Keep the suggestions coming!

#19 · (Edited)
I am still trying to dig it up... :)

The Alfa Club Magazine I mentioned is currently in transit from Australia, so I won't be able to find it there for a long period of time. The Rosso Miro is absolutely worth looking into. It is a very rare Alfa colour and has a very deep shine. A bit like a red version of the Alfa Pearl White (Bianco Nuvola "common" on 147 GTAs), which btw is stunning!!!

Looking at the site i linked to earlier, it is even apparent that the Rosso Miro is a dual tone colour, as to different tones are needed for completion. Should do well with the sensual contours of the Duetto, IMO.

#27 ·
BMW has a darker shade of red only on the M cars. It is called "Imola Red". I painted my montreal with this color and it looks fantastic. It becomes darker in shade.

#29 ·
looks like a blue similar to the nuvola concept car and also certain older maserati colurs.
Very unusual colour and against that white background it looks stark. It would probably be less intense in the open against a duller more real background....for me more a feminine colour (smile)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.