Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj5
Do you have a source on that? That would be pretty bad news.
I read it in a magazine last week, I think it was Evo. When I go home tomorrow I'll check which mag and the edition month and let you know.

[COLOR=Blue]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/COLOR]

1966 2.0 Sprint GT race car, 1967 T/S GTA Replica, 1965 FIA App.K 1600 GTA, 1965 1600 GTA Stradale RHD, 1965 1600 GTA Stradale LHD, 1966 1600 Giulia GTC, 1991 S4 Spider, 1967 1600 Duetto, 1999 2.0 916GTV (soon to be sold!) and now replaced with 2002 3.0 V6 24v 916 GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 01:20 PM

Garage
In Autoweek Magazine

AUTOWEEK
Posted Date: 12/2/04
Alfa Romeo Competizione confuzione

Alfa’s Romeo’s hot 8C Competizione, first shown in concept form at last year’s Frankfurt motor show, appears headed for a dead end. Pre-production prototypes of the Maserati Coupe-based two-seater have been delayed as Fiat Auto CEO Herbert Demel considers the implications of building a sports car that competes directly with the Maserati Coupe and would hit a price point that could severely confuse buyers for both marques. “If anything is approved based on the 8C design, it will probably be a smaller but similar style of car at a lower price,” one source said. Fiat Group boss Luca di Montezemolo also is hesitating over the 8C/Maserati conflict, meaning the project is probably dead in the water.

Richard
76 Alfetta GTV gone to rust haven, 89 Spider the red graduate, 86 GTV6 on wish list
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 01:33 PM

Nuts.
Perhaps the best thing we can hope for would be a 6C Competizione in a smaller lighter but similar body slotting between the Maser and the Lotus Elise. Would be pretty easy to use the existing Alfa 6 cylinder.
A car like that in the 60 - 80 Euro range would be pretty remarkable.
Luca - you listening out there?
But, the reality is, nothing anytime soon - that is for sure.
Nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 01:45 PM

How about a 3/4 scale version of the 8c, using a two liter twin spark, for about $30,000
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 10:29 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Never going to happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeach
AUTOWEEK
Posted Date: 12/2/04
Alfa Romeo Competizione confuzione

Alfa’s Romeo’s hot 8C Competizione, first shown in concept form at last year’s Frankfurt motor show, appears headed for a dead end. Pre-production prototypes of the Maserati Coupe-based two-seater have been delayed as Fiat Auto CEO Herbert Demel considers the implications of building a sports car that competes directly with the Maserati Coupe and would hit a price point that could severely confuse buyers for both marques. “If anything is approved based on the 8C design, it will probably be a smaller but similar style of car at a lower price,” one source said. Fiat Group boss Luca di Montezemolo also is hesitating over the 8C/Maserati conflict, meaning the project is probably dead in the water.
Exactly like I said.

dretceterini suggestion is perfect and what should have been prototyped in the first place. Well done Alfa Romeo, you have managed to waste even MORE money ... God there are some complete fnckwits running the company nowadays!

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 11:18 PM

well I don't blame Alfa Romeo for trying - at least it shows it still has the flair and imagination to produce great cars. I think a scaled down version of the 8c makes perfect sense and hopefully it will be priced so as to make it possible for me to buy one when i decide to trade in my GT
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 07:56 PM

The 8c may not be dead yet........
Says that they are still collecting deposits and will make a decision in a couple of months. Great new photos in the link.
Let's hope!!

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2005/cars...1/8c/1801.html
Attached Images

Last edited by snj5; 01-18-2005 at 08:07 PM.
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 10:47 PM

Back in the USSA

Imagine in your dreams Alfa brings back to the US in 2007 the following:

1. 8c Competizione
2. Kamal
3. 157
4. Spider
5. Giuletta

Ahhhhh, dreams can come true
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 01:47 PM

The only way for Alfa to return is with a statement vehicle like the 8C. A car that will turn heads and create a stir. If they just return with a sport sedan and a spider, there will be no new interest from non Alfisti. Build it and they will come!!!!!
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 02:26 PM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaholico
The only way for Alfa to return is with a statement vehicle like the 8C. A car that will turn heads and create a stir. If they just return with a sport sedan and a spider, there will be no new interest from non Alfisti. Build it and they will come!!!!!
PSk EDIT: DELETED, said enough already ...

Anyway if this car excites you then I'm glad, 'cause I guess atleast you are excited about Alfa Romeo ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 01-19-2005 at 02:32 PM.
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 02:33 PM
Supporting Vendor

PSK,

While you have a valid point that this car is nothing like a Giulietta/Giulia, please remember that Alfa produced the Tipo 33 Stradale and the Montreal in the time period you are lamenting...

Joe
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 02:45 PM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCab
PSK,

While you have a valid point that this car is nothing like a Giulietta/Giulia, please remember that Alfa produced the Tipo 33 Stradale and the Montreal in the time period you are lamenting...

Joe
Tipo 33 Stradale was a tarted up race car. Now the T33 race cars had a real and wonderful purpose. While I admire the styling of the T33 Stradale, I'd rather have a T33/2.

Yes Montreal ... I think because it was a styling exercise with unclear purpose is one of the reasons it was a sales/marketing failure. While lovely to look at and rarer than most ... not Alfa Romeo's best effort IMO. The GTV6 is a better chassis and what the Montreal should have been in my humble opinion.

Please note I have removed my comments, 'cause upon review I realised I was talking out of my own backside a fair bit

Your point ofcourse!, is that they have occassionally produced these styling exercises and I accept that valid point.

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 01-19-2005 at 02:48 PM.
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:53 PM

New Alfa Coupe confirmed as the "Brera". Also, Lancia Delta will make a comeback in 2007. WOWOWO things are happening in Italy
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:38 AM

Bring the concept rims back!! do they not pass load tests or something? Those rims were soo hot.! I can go get these at Tirerack.com right now.. BBS RS would be about the same hah. I guess theyre trying to cut costs before unveiling the prospective price. ..if it ever gets made of course :P

Last edited by HenryKrinkle; 01-20-2005 at 04:42 AM.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 06:04 AM

Henry, you're absolutely right about the rims!!! Pete, I don't get it? Platform sharing and engine sharing is just the way it is. The 33 Stradale is a tarted up race car????????? It still looks amazingly contemporary. Listen, I have a 64 Giulia step nose in my garage and I think it is a timeless piece of history, but to not acknowledge the new 8C as a design statement is blind loyalty. The current spider that is running around Europe is an ugly car. It looks like an Integra from the front and the rear three quarter view is just plain awkward. The 166, although handsome, also has some quirks (very long front overhang by today's standards). The GT and the 156 are on the money, but Alfa needs to come with a car that will make people stop and notice. Once again, if Audi and Jag could reinvent themselves while staying in this country, there's no reason that Alfa can't come back with a new attitude. But, it's got to be that, a new attitude and a car like this that has an attitude. Maybe it's my New York personality showing through, but my colleagues who lust over BMRs and Benzes do it because of the image (read attitude) they eminate. If the new Alfa spider is anything like the one that currently exists, it will not broaden the fan base. Unfortunately, neither will the new GT (too many established players there- CLK, A4, 3 Series, Mustang, etc). Make the 8C and bring it here with the spider, GT, 147, 156, and 166 as support players and you've got a lineup (don't forget the Kamal)!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode