8C Bashed by BBC's "Top Gear" Program - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned

8C Bashed by BBC's "Top Gear" Program

I was absolutely stunned (4 letter word retention maintained here) by the BBC's program "Top Gear's" program I saw regarding their testing of this auto. Their comments on the styling were that it's probably the best looking car ever designed.

They're track testing asolutely thrashed the 8C. 'Bad handling, steering, braking, blah blah, blah blah.'. Forgive my lack of specifics and cognitive regurgitation, but I'm still "dazed & confused". I almost sobered up hearing this!!!!!

Tell me it's not so.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 02:10 PM

I don´t take Top Gear very seriously, it´s mostly fun entertaining... However in a test in Evo magazine no. 125 they came to the same conclusion with regards to roadholding. I quote from the article, conclusion 8C comparison article:

Alfa´s simply beautiful 8Ccould have booked itself a much higher placing had its makers spent a little more time honing the chassis and a little less time tuning the exhaust note. No, scrub that. The exhaust note is every bit as much a thing of beauty as the shape. And, if we´re honest it´s the almost unprecedented welter of feelgood sensations the 8C brings to the party that make it so special. The very definition of a flawed gem.

Step from the Maser(Gran Tourismo S) to the Alfa and the 8C feels smaller, tauter, faster . It appears to turn things up a notch. But in truth it´s The Gran Tourismo that´s the more stable , composed and predictable. The 8C is a lot edgier , quite a tricky car to drive near the limit.

So it seems the road holding of this car has not been so highly tuned as one would expect from such a high profile car. A Nürburgring test would give a good indication to the same. Somehow I suspect it will not happen.
Also one can expect that the 8C GTA will also have an improved roaholding. For those who want to take the car to track sometimes.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 02:16 PM

That's old news, Jeremy did this bash what, almost a year ago? The car needs better suspension for sure but I am surprised they were not able to do better the first time out.

current and or past: 1987 Milano (Ariel) 1984 GTV6 (Sabrina) 1992 164L (Jill) 1992 164S (Kelly) 1989 Spider Veloce (Julie) 1991 164L (Chris) 1991 Spider (Melissa)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 06:27 PM

8c

Keep in mind that they drive the very best the manufacturers have to offer. If it's not a supercar they road test, its a STI or an EVO....always top of the line for the respective vehicle. Alfa's were never considered cutting edge or benchmark when it came to handling or performance. They are fun to drive and to be seen in. However, they were always interesting and attractive....and came with that gorgeous badge that made all the above tolerable!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_lo View Post
Alfa's were never considered cutting edge or benchmark when it came to handling or performance.
NEVER considered cutting edge? What are you talking about? If you are talking about the current cars that's one thing but to say Alfa never broke any ground in their 100 years of racing is just ridiculous

current and or past: 1987 Milano (Ariel) 1984 GTV6 (Sabrina) 1992 164L (Jill) 1992 164S (Kelly) 1989 Spider Veloce (Julie) 1991 164L (Chris) 1991 Spider (Melissa)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Hold on, girls. I didn't intend on starting a p*ssing contest here. I happen to agree with both as Alfa was on the cutting edge at times but with all R & D it's rare to have a winner right out of the gate the first run. Just look at the Monsterati Biturbo's history... I personally wouldn't touch the early models. Love this one..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 05:30 PM

alfa

You are misquoting me! We are talking about production vehicle's. Race prepped cars are exactly that. Furthermore, I didn't use the word ground breaking either. I was discussing performance and handling of stock Alfas. The guys on Top Gear test drive production vehicles with a 'stock setup'. I'm trying to choose my words wisely here as to get my point across without writing a novel. I feel as though I did. "to say Alfa never broke any ground in their 100 years of racing is just ridiculous", yes sir you are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaTango1 View Post
NEVER considered cutting edge? What are you talking about? If you are talking about the current cars that's one thing but to say Alfa never broke any ground in their 100 years of racing is just ridiculous
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 06:36 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Keep in mind that they drive the very best the manufacturers have to offer. If it's not a supercar they road test, its a STI or an EVO....always top of the line for the respective vehicle. Alfa's were never considered cutting edge or benchmark when it came to handling or performance.
You need to read a book or two on the Milli Miglia, which Alfa Romeo dominated before the company stopped supporting entries. All those Jano Alfas were pretty close to the edge, especially the 8c2900.

Later Alfa Romeos humbled much larger cars with their performance and handling, it is ONLY the larger engined more recent Alfa Romeos that have the poor reputation for handling, ie: the 2600 and the Montreal.

Why the new 8c handles differently to the Maserati confuses me, is the weight distribution really that different to require changes in spring rates and shocks ... surely not?
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
... Alfa's were never considered cutting edge or benchmark when it came to handling or performance. ....and came with that gorgeous badge that made all the above tolerable!
You should take any mundane Alfa for a spin some time... If there is one thing that Alfa had, it was handling, which is why it performed very well... In fact, Alfa rested on those laurels for longer than other manufacturers. A good example of this are the mundane Spiders the were sold basically unchanged from the early seventies through the early 1990s. (And they were based on the design of their 1950s ancestors.) Not much power, to the point where it was embarrassing compared to other contemporary vehicles, and an aging platform. Yet, Alfa unabashedly advertised the cars as having the same suspensions they used in racing. Yes, racing, but from years ago! So the Spider is slow off the line, but place one on a twisty road and it will make you smile...

Best regards,

Enrique
[SIZE="1"]Spider 74, 84 & 87
Milano 88 Verde
164 91S, 93L & 95Q[/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][I][COLOR="Green"]Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE]
[B][FONT="Verdana"][RIGHT]DARKSIDE MEMBER[/RIGHT][/FONT][/B]
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
You are misquoting me! We are talking about production vehicle's. Race prepped cars are exactly that. Furthermore, I didn't use the word ground breaking either. I was discussing performance and handling of stock Alfas. The guys on Top Gear test drive production vehicles with a 'stock setup'. I'm trying to choose my words wisely here as to get my point across without writing a novel. I feel as though I did. "to say Alfa never broke any ground in their 100 years of racing is just ridiculous", yes sir you are correct.
How am I misquoting you? You said they were "never considered cutting edge" or benchmark when it came to handling or performance. That is what I quoted and I beg to differ, Alfa has long been associated with exactly that.

Last edited by AlfaTango1; 01-21-2009 at 08:44 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Gold Subscriber

Hey guys, I have seen roads test by both German and Italian test drivers from very reputable outfits and most have come away saying that it's both a brilliant design and an outstanding chassis. In regards to this perfect set-up, who in the hell knows more than the factory drivers.

Is it fair to take a car of this magnitude and drive the piss out of it in pouring rain? You need to be an idiot to do that in the first place. I wonder how a Ferrari F40 would do in those conditions? Also, Alfa made a handful of these outstanding cars. They also made three of them to send around the globe so that idiots like the people in top gear can beat the crap out of them in terrible conditions. The same cars are completely threashed in front of enthusiastic crowds whatching the factory drivers smoke the rear wheels for a quarter mile and drifting them around carousels for minutes at a time. Are you guys kidding me! The cars that are being tested have been more than driven hard and put away "soaked", literally.

I also happened to watch the last Top Gear episode and I got a different conclusion from Jeremy. It was more of a tounge/cheek statement where he makes the point that the 8C is the most beautiful car ever designed and is considered "ART". That he goes about explaining that "ART" has NO real porpose, therefore, the car does nothing right. But if you watch the video, it looks as if he is having a hell of a time, with a big grin. At no time does it look like he is losing that car. At least that is my interpretation.

BTW: How many of the lucky buyers will drive their cars balls out. I would guess that most of these cars will ever see the rev-limiter kick-in.

L'Alfista

'60 Giulietta Sprint
'64 Giulia Spider Veloce
'65 Giulia Sprint Speciale
'71 1750 GT Veloce
'81 GTV6
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 01:53 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
He compares the driving experience to a Mustang ... must be a piece of *****, seriously.

Alfa have never done big cars well, since say the 1950's.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 02:47 AM

just seen this on tv about 1 hour ago

"Alfa Romeo built to excite .. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode