So how does everyone feel about the Alfa Romeo 4C ? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

So how does everyone feel about the Alfa Romeo 4C ?

As an exotic lover, italian car lover, i see this car as a cool, italian rwd car that will bring the attention a ferrari would. But have any of you driven one? Hows the maintenance ? for $50,000 USD to me it doesn't sound like a bad deal, more or less like an Italian Lotus, but better.

All opinions wanted. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:09 AM

Garage
I have a 2015 LE, love it, had a few issues with transmission at first, since rectified. It's loud, and raw, kind of a throwback to an earlier time. Looks are amazing, and you will also get looks from almost everyone. Not a cross country tourer, more like a motorcycle on 4 wheels, storage is limited, but at the end of the day you've got to love it.

Cars ruined my life! 😱
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:02 AM
Gold Subscriber

I want one.

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:17 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Whenever I've thought about the 4C, the question of longevity pops into my head. Alfas have a tradition of enjoying a long-term value, but with a dramatic slump in their middle years. Whether it be the various early Veloce models, 6C2500, 1900, 102/106 models, step-noses, etc..... Within a few years of being new, you could buy them for a song. But, within a half century or so people recognize them for the enduring art that they always were, with the huge plus of an enjoyable driving experience.

I expect the 4C will pass the enduring-art test. But will any of them be driveable at all, let alone safely, in 50 years? I'm ignoring the electric car question. Will the plastic bodies still have structural integrity? Will the electrics and mechanicals be operable, or if not, repairable?

I have a picture of 4Cs being crushed up in scrap yards because there's nothing else to be done with them.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:20 AM

Location: Transplanted from Holland to The Armpit of New Jersey
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
I want one.
With a 3.0L V8....

https://www.facebook.com/drivetribe/...9006005334218/

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Oo--V--oO There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:42 PM

I have a 2017 4C and I love her, totally unrefined and raw..... not for the old or faint of heart, a phenomenal driving experience.....
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:52 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeterson3 View Post
I expect the 4C will pass the enduring-art test. But will any of them be driveable at all, let alone safely, in 50 years? I'm ignoring the electric car question. Will the plastic bodies still have structural integrity? Will the electrics and mechanicals be operable, or if not, repairable?

I have a picture of 4Cs being crushed up in scrap yards because there's nothing else to be done with them.
Compared to most cars of the last 10 years, the 4C is dead simple, and they seem to be quite reliable as well. Yes, there are electronics but fewer than most other vehicles by virtue of the basic nature of the car.

The carbon fiber tub is where all the structural integrity lies within this car, and I've not seen any indication that will degrade if taken care of properly.

Centerline International - Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
750-ALFA
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:31 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCab View Post
Compared to most cars of the last 10 years, the 4C is dead simple, and they seem to be quite reliable as well. Yes, there are electronics but fewer than most other vehicles by virtue of the basic nature of the car.

The carbon fiber tub is where all the structural integrity lies within this car, and I've not seen any indication that will degrade if taken care of properly.
I'm not against the 4C. I tried one on at a Concorso a few years ago. Took quite awhile for me to get in, and longer to get out. But, allowances can be made.

It may be entirely an invalid comparison, but when we look at the older Alfas that are commanding really impressive prices today. All of them were worth spit at one point, and so it was not worth it for someone to "take care of properly". Whether it was being kept in a garage, or doing a correct repair on a suffering sill structure, a car worth $500 just gets a bandaid until it can't drive any more.

Name one Alfa in the late 70s that was worth enough to get real maintenance money spent on them. 8C2900? Maybe not even them, really.

So, I fear there'll be a time in about 25 years when the political putsch is on to outlaw gasoline cars, and human-drivers. Cars like the 4C will be not be allowed on the roads in California, so will be sold for a song to people in Texas, Montana, and North Carolina, where SBC will be dropped in at the first sign of a short-circuit. Not long after, that car will have a tree growing up through the floorboards.

I think it's a cool car. I'd like to have one, as my 10th car, and I'm currently up to four plus two motorcycles.

Now.... In 60 years, the laws will be relaxed in the backlash against the tyranny of political correctness, and there'll be about 8 operational 4Cs left in the US. They'll be prized and expensive.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:09 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
If I had the garage space, I would buy a yellow 4C convertible.

Thanks

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbalfa View Post
If I had the garage space, I would buy a yellow 4C convertible.

Thanks
I agree on the yellow color, fits perfectly with other cars in the garage. Just an absolute blast to drive.

Few shots from last couple months (behind Washington's Chapel and Washington Headquarters in Valley Forge and first time the 4C visited Waffle House in Lancaster, PA).
Attached Images

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseChange View Post
I agree on the yellow color, fits perfectly with other cars in the garage. Just an absolute blast to drive.

Few shots from last couple months (behind Washington's Chapel and Washington Headquarters in Valley Forge and first time the 4C visited Waffle House in Lancaster, PA).
Absolutely beautiful car.

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:10 PM
Platinum Subscriber

For me it would have to be the 2014-15 model, in red.

Here I am at the iron man in Nice France in 2014. I love this one. Perfect!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jason Minos

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), 19X8, 19X9.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfissimo Int. View Post
For me it would have to be the 2014-15 model, in red.

Here I am at the iron man in Nice France in 2014. I love this one. Perfect!

Why specifically the 2014-15 model as opposed to the latest?

Thanks

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Absolutely beautiful car.
Thanks! Mine was the last yellow 2018 sold in US.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:48 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Why specifically the 2014-15 model as opposed to the latest?

Thanks
I like the original styling. Especially the headlamps. Not huge changes between the years but I think those headlights really made the car more unique and stylish.

Jason Minos

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), 19X8, 19X9.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode