I'll be visiting Phoenix, Coffee anyone?? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

I'll be visiting Phoenix, Coffee anyone??

I'll be in the Goodyear/Avondale area the week of Jan 20, 08 for several days, and would like to meet up with some Alfisti to talk Alfas/racing/etc.

Email me direct this week (Jan 13) with contact info, and your phone number.

Thanks, George

George Willet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
520-374-2220: please do not use PM, email me direct, saves us both time.

THESE are the good old days!
There are no easy answers to complex problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Willet View Post
I'll be in the Goodyear/Avondale area the week of Jan 20, 08 for several days, and would like to meet up with some Alfisti to talk Alfas/racing/etc.

Email me direct this week (Jan 13) with contact info, and your phone number.

Thanks, George
This may help, there is a meeting on the 23rd and of all places "olive garden". Not sure why in the heck they choose this place. They use to meet at a great Italian joint that offered REAL italian food but what can I say? I am Italian and picky when it comes to the food. but you can talk with all the guys,.I may not make it. But maybe...
Car Clubs at Hemmings Motor News
Ciao!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jason Minos

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Jason

I'll add that to my schedule. I have directions to your store and plan to visit it also. So Wednesday seems like a good day to do both.

George

George Willet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 05:08 PM

When are you coming to Toronto for coffee?

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Ken Lee
Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON[/FONT]
73 GTV
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Ken, stop stalking me or so help me I'm coming up to Oakville and moving in on you, Joan and the dogs till you force me out!

And I am bringing my dogs and family.

George Willet

Last edited by George Willet; 01-16-2008 at 10:30 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfissimo Int. View Post
This may help, there is a meeting on the 23rd and of all places "olive garden". Not sure why in the heck they choose this place. They use to meet at a great Italian joint that offered REAL italian food but what can I say? I am Italian and picky when it comes to the food. but you can talk with all the guys,.I may not make it. But maybe...
Car Clubs at Hemmings Motor News
Ciao!
Jason, as you know I'm not Italian, but I'm with you on Olive Garden. That's stuff is horrible! I always eat at a local deli/restaurant that is owned by a Sicillian that I've know for some 25 plus years and wouldn't think of eating anywhere else. Remember that Olive Garden commercial a few years ago that has the two guys brining there uncle from the old country to Olive Garden? I'll bet he wrote them out of the will as soon as he got home!

current and or past: 1987 Milano (Ariel) 1984 GTV6 (Sabrina) 1992 164L (Jill) 1992 164S (Kelly) 1989 Spider Veloce (Julie) 1991 164L (Chris) 1991 Spider (Melissa)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaTango1 View Post
Jason, as you know I'm not Italian, but I'm with you on Olive Garden. That's stuff is horrible! I always eat at a local deli/restaurant that is owned by a Sicillian that I've know for some 25 plus years and wouldn't think of eating anywhere else. Remember that Olive Garden commercial a few years ago that has the two guys brining there uncle from the old country to Olive Garden? I'll bet he wrote them out of the will as soon as he got home!
Glenn your not Italian? I thought you might be Sicilian like me? Ok Part Greek too, you know with the dark olive skin...

LOL terrible is the understatement of the year. I find it kind of pathetic that an Italian group meets at olive garden?? Microwaved made up italian food, no thanks. I may hang in the parking lot for 10 minutes and go. I don't have much time these days to socialize. Kids and all oh and dead tired by 6:30pm.

Yeah those olive garden commercials are great, I like the one where they have a cooking school in Italy. yeah right!!

I have a couple places in mind for a alfa meet for those who want good italian food/spirits, genuine as it gets here in the desert!

Maybe I can start my own club. haha! Kidding!! Kidding. Maybe though. I was thinking a Northern Arizona Chapter. They have a tucson and Phoenix but nothing up north where there are a lot of Alfa's actually. Might include: Sedona, Prescott, Flagstaff and surrounding cities (not much surrounding it, but you get it).

So when you moving out of that crazy place they call San Diego?

Jason

Jason Minos

San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
2010 Touareg TDI
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 08:10 AM

With the market tanking here like it has I may have lost 40 to 50K in pontential profit on my house. So I won't be selling in the near term, still may move but not sure where. I have a business opportunity in New Mexico but it would work in Phoenix too so I'm weighing that also.

I'm Dutch, Indonesian and a splash of German. You can guess where I get my tan from

I may be out for SuperBowl but now that the Chargers are out the enthusiasm is a bit lower than normal.

current and or past: 1987 Milano (Ariel) 1984 GTV6 (Sabrina) 1992 164L (Jill) 1992 164S (Kelly) 1989 Spider Veloce (Julie) 1991 164L (Chris) 1991 Spider (Melissa)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 01:53 PM

I am no fan of the Olive Garden by any means (Italian food for people who want to say/think they eat Italian food but don't actually want to do it), but the reason the chapter meets there is very simple. It is the only place we could find that could accomodate us in a private/semi-private room without charging an arm and a leg, was centrally located, and also takes separate checks.

We used to have a great meeting place in downtown Scottsdale, but it went out of business. The next place was pretty decent foodwise, but the meeting space was too small and frankly the service was not that great sometimes. Trust me, lots of folks have put a lot of effort into finding a decent place to meet over the years, and it just ain't that easy. Jason, if you have a better idea, let the local chapter officers know.

Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Concours Chair
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 07:59 PM

Arno/All;

Last meeting @ Olive Garden was very good. The club is running a trip to Laughlin, NV this weekend past, so I'll get the details next meeting on the 26th or March.

We're doing the annual Copperstate send off:
Sunday, April 6 - 18th Annual Copperstate 1000 Send-Off

Copperstate 1000 Road Rally Website

ALSO everyone is PSYCHED for the annual BEAT: April 19-20 - 11th Annual British European Auto Tour

Download the description and application

Be there or be....well at home.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 08:06 AM

Visiting Arizona

Hi, My wife, and two dogs will be visiting my new Grandson in the Gilbert area during spring break, March 22-28, 2008. I am from So CAL and an active member of the club. Sure would like to talk to someone about what Alfa activities are going on in AZ. Contemplating a move to Valley of the fire, oops I mean Sun. Looking forward to hearing from someone, and having the opportunity to talk about our cars.

Fred
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one alfa short View Post
Hi, My wife, and two dogs will be visiting my new Grandson in the Gilbert area during spring break, March 22-28, 2008. I am from So CAL and an active member of the club. Sure would like to talk to someone about what Alfa activities are going on in AZ. Contemplating a move to Valley of the fire, oops I mean Sun. Looking forward to hearing from someone, and having the opportunity to talk about our cars.

Fred
Fred:

The regular monthly dinner meeting of the AZ AROC Chapter is on Wednesday, March 26 at the aforementioned Olive Garden. Information can be found here: Arizona Alfa Romeo Owners Club - Monthly Dinner Meetings. Hope to see you there.

Arno Leskinen
116 x 2
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 04:07 PM

Arno;

Fred saw my URL for the club and PM'd me about meeting. Thanks.

Fred;

See ya on Wed.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringspider View Post
I am no fan of the Olive Garden by any means (Italian food for people who want to say/think they eat Italian food but don't actually want to do it), but the reason the chapter meets there is very simple. It is the only place we could find that could accomodate us in a private/semi-private room without charging an arm and a leg, was centrally located, and also takes separate checks.

We used to have a great meeting place in downtown Scottsdale, but it went out of business. The next place was pretty decent foodwise, but the meeting space was too small and frankly the service was not that great sometimes. Trust me, lots of folks have put a lot of effort into finding a decent place to meet over the years, and it just ain't that easy. Jason, if you have a better idea, let the local chapter officers know.

Arno Leskinen
No I understand why you meet there!
Italian grotto is a great place but small. I know the owner pretty well.
I don' think Gary went out of business? He has been there for 20 years or so. Fantastic food. Slightly americanized but still very good. Great atmosphere!!
Kind of your typical East coast Joint.

I have no idea where to meet as I have not researched it. So I suppose OG is best.
That place on Scottsdale rd IMO is not very good and yes service is not good either. My wifes friend's mother runs the place. It's OK at best!

I may have some suggestions so that at least the Alfa club can get some good Italian food in their bellies.

No disrespect, it just stinks that you have to meet at such a place, thats all. Not that I should care much as I never can make it. So I should not say anything either.

Maybe I can help in someway.

Jason

Jason Minos

San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
2010 Touareg TDI

Last edited by Alfissimo Int.; 07-12-2008 at 09:16 AM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfissimo Int. View Post
No I understand why you meet there!
Italian grotto is a great place but small. I know the owner pretty well.
I don' think Gary went out of business? He has been there for 20 years or so. Fantastic food. Slightly americanized but still very good. Great atmosphere!!
Kind of your typical East coast Joint.

I have no idea where to meet as I have not researched it. So I suppose OG is best.
That place on Scottsdale rd IMO is not very good and yes service is not good either. My wifes friend's mother runs the place. It's OK at best!

I may have some suggestions so that at least the Alfa club can get some good Italian food in their bellies.

No disrespect, it just stinks that you have to meet at such a place, thats all. Not that I should care much as I never can make it. So I should not say anything either.

Maybe I can help in someway.

Jason

Jason;

It's not about the food...it's about ALFA friends getting together and having a good time swapping stories..etc. Yeah sure OG isn't "authentic" Italian grub but we are NOT there for that.

Can't say I would "diss" the Italian restaurants on Scottsdale Rd. There is always Arrivederci on Scottsdale and Thunderbird which has GOOD food.

Hey...Know of any "acceptable" Greek food in the valley?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode