Looking for information on track days around Phoenix - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Looking for information on track days around Phoenix

I've just moved to Casa Grande with my GTV race car and and a Giulia Super project car, and would like to talk with someone that can give me information on race dates/track days in the area.

I haven't had any luck on finding out about track time at Firehawk in Chandler. Anyone help me with contact information for racing/time trial associations that use the track?

Thanks

George Willet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
520-374-2220: please do not use PM, email me direct, saves us both time.

THESE are the good old days!
There are no easy answers to complex problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 08:58 AM

George,

Welcome to the Southwest. While I can't help with AAROC activities, the Southern California club, AROSC, has two TT/Race events coming up. The first is September 13-14 in Pahrump, Nevada at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch. From Casa Grande, Mapquest says it's about 400 miles (6hr 39min), here's a thread about it: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/aros...14-2008-a.html

Then on October 11-12 there is a TT/Race at Willow Springs International Raceway.

Then, usually the first weekend in February, HSR-West, has a three day event at Phoenix International Raceway.

I also know that NASA does a lot of events in your "new" area.

Gifford
'72 Super --> SOLD, '67 GTV --> SOLD

Last edited by geh458; 08-12-2008 at 10:07 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Gold Subscriber

George

Welcome to Arizona. You will find that there are several organizations to run with here in the Phoenix area.

I would recommend you look up ProAutosports. They are a locally run regional racing club that runs at Firebird. As you may know, Firebird has three tracks and ProAutosport rotates events between the three tracks. ProAutosports is a friendly group that has both race groups (by bore) and High Proformance driving groups that do not race. There will be a group for you however you will probably be the only Alfa.

NASA runs most of their events at PIR but do have events at Firebird. They hold 8-10 events per year.

You will find the hardcore local racers run with both Pro Autosports and NASA when the dates do not conflict.

If you are interested in Vintage racing VARA is active and as noted above HSR. Of course there are plenty of vintage races in California.

The racing season here in Az is from mid/late September to late April/early May due to heat and tire issues.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 10:04 AM

Hi George:

Welcome to Arizona!! Neither the Phoenix or Tucson AROC chapters do track days, but there are plenty of them out there. Try contacting the local BMWCCA chapter (Roadrunner Chapter BMW CCA) and the Porsche club (::: Arizona Region - Porsche Club of America ::: ). One of my wife's colleagues is an active track day guy with his M3, and they have one scheduled in early October . It seems that many of these track days occur out at PIR as well as Firebird. As you can probably imagine, most track and autocross stuff out here occurs in the fall/winter/spring.

Hope to see you at a club meeting one of these days.

Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Concours Chair
116 x 2
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the contact information. I'll follow up on all of the recomendations.

Thanks for providing the links in your post, Gifford. Your car is coming along well. Faster than I thought posssible considering how it seems just a few months ago you picked up the donor Super from me.

Arno, I was at a club meeting in Scottsdale in February, and will try to come to the next one as soon as I bring my GTV here from Washington. By the way, greetings to you from Joe Flarety, he gave me your name in his last email.

Mark, do you have contact info for ProAutosports?

George Willet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Gold Subscriber

George

The Pro Autosports website is: Welcome to ProAutosports!

If you just want to run in a non race group, they have two groups to choose from. A group where safe passing is allowed and a group with no passing. Obviously the passing group is more fun and runs at a higher rate of speed. You will get a lot of track time with this group, hopefully you have dedicated track tires.

Of note, I just purchased a 1971 GTV, one owner car which is in excellent condition and hope to have it delivered in the next few weeks. I have thought about taking it to Firebird in the fall for a little "exercise".

Mark Congleton
P.V., AZ
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Darn it George!

I was hoping to work with you up at Pacific Raceways this fall!

Enjoy the warm weather. I'll be in touch by email.

Neil

"Nominum quid geminus?"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Hi Neil:
I'll be more than happy to help you with your car-set up via email, and I'll probably rent/borrow a car for the July 4th race at Seattle, so can see you there and probably at the Portland race the following weekend. George

George Willet

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Mark, where is P.V.? I'd like to see your new car. When will it arrive?

I have a new AutoPower rollbar for a GTV if that is in your plans for the car.

Not only do I have dedicated race tires, the Super will be a dedicated race car. The GTV is Vintage legal, but is primarily for the street with a mostly stock 1750 Spica engine that I built in 2000.

George

George Willet

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Gold Subscriber

George

As my car is in original condition, my plan is to have Charlie Fife at Auto International totally go through the car so I may enjoy it in it's original condition. The car is coming out of 2 years of dry storage, has 80K miles, no rust and would be rated as an excellent driver. I will use it as a fun weekend car and enjoy it whenever possible. The previous owner (an AROC member) autocrossed the car since he purchased it in 1971 so the car does have some suspension work done. However to lower the car the springs were cut and the ride is very stiff, maybe too stiff. I may get new springs and shocks, GTA wheels etc. I have a very sound base from which to work off which is why I purchased the car. I just bought it Saturday so I don't think it will arrive in Phoenix for several weeks. I look forward to having everything done in time for the winter driving months.

PV is Paradise Valley which is located in the center of the valley around Camelback Mtn.

If you choose to run with Pro Auto, you will enjoy the large amount of track time. I raced in a MINI Challenge series with them several years ago, the series is no longer running.

I am sure we will meet later in the year once my car is cleaned up and on the road.

Mark
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 03:20 AM

Its a wonderful site which provides the information about the racing tracks and the sports car. I was waiting to get the information about the racing tracks as i am very much crazy about these cars and racing events.
================================================== ======
steve
Arizona Drug Addiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode