Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - '77 with SPICA won't run right
View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Boccaccia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Romagnoli View Post
(I hope I'm remembering this correctly)

In the late 1970's, I had a '71 Spider with a Shankle Sure Start and the car had this same problem. I brought the car to the mechanic (he was a well-known senior mechanic from Alfa Romeo, Inc. in Englewood Cliffs, who had retired and started his own shop), who showed me that at full "lean" position, the Sure Start plunger did not extend as far as the plunger of a hot TA, thus the car always ran rich.

We fixed the problem by re-installing a good TA, and then re adjusting the fuel cut-off solenoid and other mechanical adjustments.
That seems worth looking at, as the car has never run properly with the Shankle installed. I made a dummy TA a while back. I will install it and see what happens.

Looks like rebuilt TA's are $385 with a $75 core fee. Ugh.

"I brought the car to the mechanic... who showed me that at full "lean" position, the Sure Start plunger did not extend as far as the plunger of a hot TA, thus the car always ran rich." I think the Sure Start extension deficit can be accommodated by adjusting the TA screw inside the SPICA. If it does not extend the full depth, seems the TA screw can be brought up to make the difference.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome