Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - Re-assembling rear suspension
View Single Post
post #39 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Rogue Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
I've not used a spring compressor but it seems to me that this would work. If you can measure the spring length at normal ride height just use a spring compressor to achieve that length and bolt the suspension up and torque it.
As someone who has used a spring compressor this is a terrible idea.

First off once you compress the spring you would still need to jack up the corner you're working on to the spring as the damper doesn't compress with a spring. Secondly external spring compressors which is what you'd need to use are ultra dangerous and can result in serious gruesome injuries should it slip off. I say this because I have actually seen this happen more than once. There are some better ones out there these days but its not a quick simple tool to use inside the strut tower.

This is a problem that can be solved by driving the car up on 4 double wood planks, or hitting a local shop, or 4 jack stands under the hubs, all of which are faster and significantly safer.

-RL; 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S, 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 1995 Volkswagen Golf (Race Car)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome