Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - Best Caster / Camber / Toe setup for Auto-X Alfa Spider S3?
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:45 PM
conedriver
Platinum Subscriber

Back when I ran a mostly stock '71 Spider, a friend suggested adding as much caster as possible, as also suggested by Eric Wood. This can be done by lengthening the upper front locating arm until it's inner end just touches the outer edge of the recessed mounting "box". When I did this, it increased the front grip sufficiently that I disconnected the rear sway bar to reduce the resulting oversteer. Such a change really helps but, as I said earlier, can be too much with really wide tires like my current 275/35x15 Hoosiers. Another side effect of lots of caster is really strong centering steering. On my car I can let loose of the wheel and the wheels will point straight ahead faster than I can move my hands. Of course, it's also harder to turn; turning the wheel raises the front while the weight wants to make the wheels point straight.

I occasionally use the steering wheel release to counter a little oversteer. And, some serous autocrossers run some toe out. Good for turn in, but darty on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporting View Post
... It seems that I should be definitely be having more than -2.0 camber and a large amount of caster (any ballpark ideas to start with?) in complements to a slight bit of tow-in......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome