Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - Car running hot is it the Evans coolant?
View Single Post
post #62 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:38 PM
John533i

The sensor has to be pretty cheap. It's worth a try. There has been a lot of 'advice' on this issue since I last checked...I have a much later Alfa, an 86 S3, but except for fuel injection I have the same setup as you, including fresh head (1yrs ago). The stock fan, new, granaded when I hit a dip in the road. New motor mounts were...what we all get when we order motor mounts. E-fan does just fine, using a relay and a sensor screwed into the lower left corner of radiator. Turns on when temp gauge is just over 175 mark. My fan is a puller in back of the radiator, just like yours. I'm running Prestone and some old Sierra I found (didn't buy enough prestone) and just replaced the radiator with a used one in March due to leaking.

I think that you might be OK. I'm hoping that you saved the Evans, as that stuff is expensive but it does the job fine, and you can re-install it later after purging your system. I still haven't installed mine, as I'm saving it for my 74 TR6, and I'm waiting for the small leak in the radiator to become worse before I replace it and purge the block. I've not met anyone in the British car shop that has an issue with Evans.

I don't have a shroud for the reasons that you don't have one. I hate to offer any more confusing advice...but I like the earlier advice given about checking your fuel mixture. You will find the issue, I'm sure! We always do.

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome