Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Formula 1 - 2019

46K views 463 replies 48 participants last post by  PSk 
#1 ·
#277 ·
Interesting! From when they were kids.

So, just for my understanding, what constitutes "forcing" your way inside where you don't have room? How far back from a corner can you get inside and expect to hold that spot? If the leading car is on the outside curb and rotates in to the apex and you wedge in there, where's the line between ok and not ok?

We've all seen a guy shoot the inside, too much momentum, and t-bone the outside guy already in the corner.

You see old film of classic races where two guys battle wheel to wheel through many corners, one outside, one inside. Masterful car control. If you are wheel to wheel in a corner and outside, can you expect to have room at the exit curb, or are you expected to back off?

#278 ·
No momentum, no t-boning. Max had full control.
But: If in that corner there would be still oldschool gravel outside, Leclerc never would have tried to go wide. It was Max's corner, he fully was alongside before apex. Leclerc lost that corner already in the braking zone.

#279 ·
Agree, and why gravel traps or grass, etc. need to return.

These oversized run off areas to improve Bernie's TV show, not for safety, are responsible for so much that is negative in modern F1. The reason for them is Bernie didn't like competitors not being able to continue ...

BTW: Vettel is again being beaten by a team mate ... great decision Ferrari, great decision signing him up ... idiots
Pete

#281 ·
General comment ...

It would be great if motor sport would return to sportsmanship, by this I mean: All "in front" drivers know that a pass is not made when the other car is along side, but before that when they left an opening, etc. What I would like to see is when the other car is actually along side, this bumping and banging into each other F's off and the "in front" driver concedes like he/she should.

I watch it all the time in saloon car racing. The "in front" driver makes a mistake and next second is desperately closing the door and panels are rubbing and sometimes they all end up spinning off and damaging their cars. This is NOT motor racing, it is in fact crap and like an under arm bowl in cricket.

Conversely, the "trailing" driver needs to look for an opening, not make one by shoving his/her car up the inside when it was just not on at all. This is not sporting but BS, and the sport has lost something since IMO Senna started this and M. Schumacher took it way too far.

I've always thought that one day when M. Schumacher became a Grandpa that he would regret many of his actions, when an innocent grandson watched his old races and asked questions ... unfortunately he is in a far worse situation :(
Pete
ps: This was not a comment on this Austrian GP at all, which sounds like it was a cracker :)

#282 ·
it was easy to take away the victory from the German in Canada, it is not so easy to take it away from Max in Austria, there would have been a riot. it was a bad decision in Canada and it would have been a bad decision in Austria.

Reactions: dbest and Aggie57
#291 ·
Jump in here a bit late for the season, what has given the AR car a full second in qualifying and now putting the car in a favorable position for points? The car has run up front in the last race, but you wouldn't know it from Skynet coverage as they are focused on nothing but Haas, Ferrari and Mercedes.

#293 ·
Not agree. Mercedes pit wall crew has stolen the win from Bottas with that HAM favourizing strategy.

And Leclercs drive was dirty against Max. This was a kind of style Max used to show 2 years ago.

Vettel no comment. Absolutely disastrous.

#295 ·
Not sure how Mercedesdid anything to favor Hamilton. Botas was hurt by an untimely safety car. The young guns (Verstappen and LaClerc) made Vettel look foolish...

Reactions: horsewidower
#296 · (Edited)
Kimi before race day.....:thumbup:

Kimi:
“I really enjoyed driving the 1950 Alfetta, it was a bit loud, I should have had worn some earplugs! But it was a great experience."

#297 ·
It's been great to see two exciting F1 races in a row. Let's hope the remaining events come close to Austria and Britain.

Reactions: mhemsley
#298 ·
LeClerc simply listened to those that called him 'soft' in Austria; and gave it back to Maxy in this race. Was great to watch.

Don't know if Vettel broke something; but with a new front wing and tires he should have scored the fast lap point.

Hamilton just played everyone; race fast lap on the last lap with 30 lap old tires !!:devil:

#300 ·
Since this is an Alfa Romeo site: not to forget that Alfa Romeo is improving, by Raikonen arriving at 8th. place and Vettel-Ferrari at 16 th place.

Overall it seems Raikonen is the better driver of the two at the moment, so the Alfa badge moved to the Ferrari with Kimi would be a winner! Obviously the Alfa chassis is not fast enough!

#301 ·
Nice to see the Alfas making it to Q3 with some regularity. Great racing by Max and LeClerc, we will hopefully watch these two youngsters battle like that for the next several years. I could see a couple moves by Leclerc as questionable, but I doubt any driver in F1 hasn't made the same ones. I was happy there were no stewards involved in that. Vettel, I just can't explain. P6 in qualifying and then punting Max like that. Wow.

#303 ·
Frankly, I enjoyed the tussle between LeClerc and Verstappen. Racing actually broke out at this GP.

Seb just seems lackluster. The focus of the past appears gone. Perhaps its just the despair of a bright record setting future (ala his four championships with RBR) harshed by the reality that if you don't have the best car, you don't win. Oh, and the ego crush of having two junior drivers (Riccardo and now LeClerc) besting him in equivalent equipment. Perhaps he should hang it up before his lack of focus causes him to hurt himself or others. Its a shame, I really expected Ferrari, and Seb, to take it to Merc this year.

#304 ·
Call it what you want, LeClerc shoved Max off - wheels to wheels - and then shut the door 'for good measure' as Brundle likes to say. I enjoyed every second of it! >:)

But don't get me wrong, I like Max and his speed. I have said it before, Max belongs at Ferrari! and that is what the old Drake would do NOW; mid-season before Monza: return Seb and hire Max away from Horner. This is what we need to fight MBz and Hami.

I hope we are not looking at another decade of soft Massas and Barrichellos at Ferrari.

And finally - yes Alfa - give them the full spec motor and let's get some red cars on the top podium. Giovi svegliati !!

#305 ·
For the criticism against LeClerc, Verstappen had this to say about the duel:

“I think it was nice racing.”

LeClerc just gave back to Verstappen what Verstappen had done to him in Austria. He had to expect no other action if Le Clerc is to grow as a top driver. Certainly Schumacher showed us all how to do just that, including hitting another car on purpose, and the officials accepting that, he winning the championship by that totally questionable action.

People forget, today's tiffs are fairly mild in comparison, I think.

#306 ·
#309 ·
As written in another F1 site:

"Elbows out and wheel-to-wheel, Max Verstappen reckons Charles Leclerc was “a little bit sore still from Austria” as they fought for position at the British GP.

Leclerc was left smarting when he lost the Austrian Grand Prix win to Verstappen after the Dutchman pushed him wide and off the track to take the lead"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.