Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - Performance Replacement Brakes for Giulia Models;
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:32 AM
Alfissimo Int.
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
There's not really convincing evidence that carbon ceramic brakes work well for road cars, even when tracked. If you are also using street tires your tires will give up long before your iron brakes, assuming you fit appropriately harder pads when you are on track.

Evo magazine did an interesting back to back test of otherwise identical supercharged Jaguar F Types fitted respectively with Jaguars standard iron brakes and optional carbon ceramics. The iron brakes stopped better for the first 4-5 stops and then more or less matched the carbon ceramics up to 12 consecutive stops. From 100 mph!!!

That was with street pads on the iron brakes. Admittedly the street pads "caught fire" but they stopped the car anyway.
Makes no sense to me both performance-wise and cost-wise. I have seen a few Q owners drop the CC brakes for standard steel brakes. If I were to upgrade my Giulia ti brakes, they would have to be significantly lighter, not drilled, slotted or dimpled. Just a solid face rotor. The drilled look great but do not perform as well. Same with slotted. I am not one to go along with the slots refreshing the pads, more like shaving them down faster than you need. Pads would have to be a good compromise between cold bite to hot and fluid, a high quality fluid with a high temp boil point. I do plan to track it at some point for fun but for daily driving to spirited, stock is fantastic. Next pads are going to be the Tarox Strada unless something else comes out by the time I need them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jason Minos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), Staggered.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome