Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - water pump + where to find service kit ?
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:09 AM
Gordon Raymond
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

The incased bearing assembly disappeared about a year ago from the "new-old-stock" sources.
I used my last of those about then. I discussed with some other rebuilders what they used, and it develops that Alfa, like Ferrari with other items used a slight variation of a known, durable assembly for the bearing. The source is from an American farm tractor, and the available bearing assembly has a main shaft that's too long and needs to be correctly shortened on a lathe with a cut off wheel. The hardened bearing carrier lacks the hole for original grease install, and the hole is also used to locate the bearing in the pump body with a grub screw.As the housing is hardened, one can grind a notch in the correct location. Finally, the shaft, though hardened, is just slightly undersized for the correct hydraulic press interference fit. This can be addressed with various aerobic stud&bearing mount products from Loctite. Pictures below.
The water stop seal, originally brass bodied is available with a stainless steel body and slightly less robust multi piece carbon seal replacing the one piece original carbon, from Centerline USA and most likely OK parts and engineering in Germany. The sometimes also carry the impeller, thougb originals water stop surface can be re-created with a stainless steel washer but must be cut to impeller original thickness for correct water stop spring pre-load. The lack of the correct bearing carrier and shaft makes pump restoration today more costly and time consuming that a few years ago.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome