Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa-romeo-typo-33-stradale-continuation

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  PSk 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Continuation and replica.

Hello Pete, long time since I have been on the board. Good to see you here. As we both know, Denis Jenkinson wrote a nice book called "Directory of Historic Racing Cars", published in 1987 by Aston Publications. It contains thorough definitions on what (the condition of) a racing car is. The "replica" term is very well described. But the term "continuation" is not mentioned. What would be your definition of a "continuation"?

Ciao! Olaf

#3 · (Edited)
Really....I know somebody who has recently taken delivery of one from Goirdenago, and while there is some final assembly & sorting to do, it was certainly less than a quarter of that amount from Italy, in Australian dollars, which is about half of UK pounds. That's some mark up!
And you would think that if you're trying to flog a 2million pound car, you might get the spelling of its name correct, or maybe it was a genuine 'TYPO"! (referring to the ebay ad.)

#4 ·
I agree Vince...

While perhaps I have some leeway for those really talented individuals who have skills to create a amazing continuation/replicas, you would think they would have the wherewithal to realise they don't have the talents to create an advert seeking someone to commit to a 600,000 pound down payment just to start the build.

I've not caught up with Tony for a while, but very keen to have a look at his new toy when next over in Melbourne having heard so much about it.

#6 ·
IMO there is no such thing as a continuation.

It is an attempt to legitimise the term replica.

Aston Martin and Lola have produced continuations, but even they are producing replicas of cars they once made to cash in.

So IMO, once the original production run finishes, any produced after that are replicas. Why be embarrassed about calling it what it is?
Pete

#8 ·
What about the Jaguar e-type lightweight?
Jaguar are building the remaining amount of cars with the original chassis numbers issued back in the 60's before a fire destroyed the building. They are using the same materials and original presses used to form the panels and building the cars in exactly the same way. But I guess without almost 60 years of history behind them they are still replicas, just very good and expensive ones?

#9 ·
"Replica" in the car world is a Bad word. Why? if something is Replicated properly and accurately and is indistinguishable from the original to me it is the same thing. Values are one thing....To me the experience of driving is what is important. As i will probably never afore a original 33 but if a perfect replica could give me the experience of what it felt to drive a type 33.....I'd be happy......

#11 ·
Replicas devalue real cars, I.e. you are out driving your real GTA/TZ/T33 and everybody thinks it's just a replica ... you end up having to prove it's real.

Personally I hate them, and rather they were no where near like a real car, so it's obviously a piece of poo.

On top of that many original real cars are used as donors ... to make a quick $ or 2.

Why not make your own special to your own design?
Pete

#10 ·
I think the new word now is re' creation, it defines a replica from a much more exact example. And I agree with that. I read an article a few years back about a father and son recreating a Ferrari P4, the engineering was superb. I can imagine that they went through the same amount of time money and thought process as those that created the original.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.