Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - Alfa Romeo GTV with factory aluminium panels
View Single Post
post #37 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:04 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve105 View Post
I still think you could order a GTV 1750 with alloy doors and bootlid (and those nice seats!) from the factory, and drive out the show room floor.
Cheers Steve
Yes I accept this but what would have happened is your dealer would have ordered a completely steel 1750 GTV, and 2 alloy doors, and a boot lid. He would have sent the brand new doors and boot lid down the road to his trusted car painter and got them painted to match your brand new car and then had one of mechanics remove the steel doors and boot lid, bolt on the alloy stuff and rung you up and said "your car is ready".

Alfa Romeo did not produce the car like this, other than the rear seat, which is what all 1750 GTV rear seats look like, i.e. it was not just a racing change but a change made to the 105 series with the 1750 model so there was slightly more leg room in the back. This change was not so people with legs could sit in the back but to move the 1750 GTV into a different racing class. I'm sure other manufacturers occasionally do things like this too, but it is part of the Alfa story, i.e. basically the GTA was being given a decisive beating by the 911 Porsche so lets make the current GTV a proper 4 seater so not in the same class. Cheaper than producing TZ2s in GTA quantities

So again the alloy parts were variations to the signed FIA homologation for the 1750 GTV, and we all agree that Alfa Romeo never ever produced a run of 1000, or even 10, or heck even a single 1 with these parts already attached as it left the Milano or Paris factory.
Pete
ps: I wonder what happened to all those steel doors and boot lids originally hanging on GTAm's that were removed ... probably sitting in the back of Autodelta's old workshop somewhere in perfect condition ...

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 01-16-2019 at 08:11 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome