Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1971 Alfa romeo spider for sale!

For Sale 
20K views 53 replies 17 participants last post by  jgmapman 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys!
I have a nice 71 Spider for sale! This car came from Jerry Quinlisk, a good friend of mine that passed away last year.
The car had a 1750 rebuilt new engine ( race blue print- built by an Alfa pro in FL) when Jerry purchased the car in 2009.
I have done much of the electrical work and about to finish the cosmetic on the hand brake. The car has a beautiful 2 stage paint job done in 2009 and still in beautiful condition. I will put pictures when I complete the car.
These 71 Spyder's are very desirable as you all know.
I will sell the car because I have my 69 GTV...in my stall my pride and joy and its not for sale.

The NADA guide cals for low retail $15.900
Avarage Retail $27.00
High Retail $43.600

I am asking $14,000 Cash.
The car is Red Exterior with Black interior.
No rips on the seats or panels. It has a New Black Canvas top.
Turbine Campenello Alloy wheels with 4 white haul tires.
1750 Rebuilt engine with Twin Weber carbs 36,000 Miles since rebuilt in 2009, runs perfect with lots of power.
Gearbox shifts all 5 gears with no grinds on 2 gear.
New battery installed and Starter weeks ago.
New set of horns.
Pictures listed already!
Rust free car and very solid body.

BUMP! PRICE REDUCED FOR SERIOUS BUYER'S ONLY !! CONTACT ME VIA PRIVAT MAIL.

Will be going for Surgery at Hospital...the second week of March and no longer can drive sports cars...this is the very reason I can not keep this beauty, oh well life goes on, hope it will find a good owner soon.

Keep me posted !
Charlie:laugh2

Attachments

See less See more
#15 · (Edited)
So, my understanding is that you had the original oil filter removed and blocked off and had a 2 liter front cover installed that has the screw-on oil filter. I would like to know how the oil passages were modified, because the 2 liter front covers and blocks have the oil passage located in a slightly different position. Later 105 1300 and 1600 front covers and their respective blocks had spin-on oil filters located on the front cover.
These motors never came to the US. It's possible that later 1750's used a similar front cover that could be used? A good photo of the original oil filter location on the block,with it's block off plate and the engine serial number would go a long way towards identifying this as a correct 1750.

#16 ·
I am also interested in how to do this to 1750. I have both kinds of spin-on filter adapters, the Wes Hurlock one, and the other one that's billet alum. Both of these take off from the canister port on the block, and locate the filter either out (Hurlock) or fore and down (the other one that the name escapes me). I'd like one that locates it where the 2L motor has it, like this one shows. If you have any info on it, I'd appreciate that!

#17 ·
Is this a eurospec 1750 with Webers or a US version that originally came with Spica, then converted to Webers?
1750 Spica blocks in 1971 had the spin-on oil filter on the front cover.

#21 · (Edited)
I have a 71 1750 Spider- this is my second 71. Both came with a canister filter, but I replaced the filter unit on each of them with a spin-on filter using a Hurlock adaptor. The adaptor is just a simple one-piece bolt-on with no other modifications necessary. So the filter is not definitive as an identifier.

As for the “2000” badge on the tail, the U.S. 71’s did not come with a “1750” badge but with an ”Iniezione” badge on the tail. There ARE 1750 badges for Euro cars but they’re hard to source here in the states, so I don’t think the badge is definitive either.

The easy way to confirm for everyone that this is a 1750 is to take a photo of the front of the head showing the triangle like this:

Auto part Pipe Engine Fuel line Vehicle

#22 ·
I have a 71 1750 Spider- this is my second 71. Both came with a canister filter, but I replaced the filter unit one each of them with a spin-on filter using a Hurlock adaptor. The adaptor is just a simple one-piece bolt-on with no other modifications necessary. So the filter is not definitive as an identifier.

As for the “2000” badge on the tail, the U.S. 71’s did not come with a “1750” badge but with an ”Iniezione” badge on the tail. There ARE 1750 badges for Euro cars but they’re hard to source here in the states, so I don’t think the badge is definitive either.

The easy way to conform for everyone that this is a 1750 is to take a photo of the front of the head showing the triangle like this:

View attachment 1544354
Yes! that is the symbol of the 1750 engine ….that's on my car as well. I have taken pictures today to show you all and take the dough's away for good. Pictures will follow as soon I can get them into my computer file. Stay tune!

#23 ·
As a point of interest, here are the two spin-on adapters I was referring to

As you can see, I DIY’d an apapter for the hurlock one to add the oil pressure idiot light.

When I run out of canister filters one of these is going on the spider. I’m not sure how they will fit/ interfere with dipstick tube or (in the case of the hurlock) the motor mount

Attachments

#24 ·
PS Charlie — in no way do I mean to hoghjack your thread. Given the car is sold, and a search for ‘oil filter placement 1750” or some such will point to this thread, I thought it appropriate to add my photos. If you want me to I’m happy to delete them and start another thread! Wish I was closer I’d have bought Jerry’s car— such a great guy....?

#25 ·
No problem!
The interested party just backed off the deal tonight.
However its back for SALE, i will post new pictures once I get them installed in my computer files....hope this week end.
Took out for a spin test drive today and responses very well... its a blast !:wink2:

#26 ·
Guys.

As far as I know there were no 1750 engines with the spin on filter on the front timing cover. The 1750 blocks have the filter mounting on the block itself.

So that looks like a 2000 Motor, which were produced in 71. Also I'm pretty sure there's a 2000 badge on the back of that car. But the way to know is the check the engine number. 00548 means 1750, and 00512 means 2000.

#27 ·
I think Charlie is going to post up photos of the head with triangle / circle . I have no experience with euro 1750 and I think that’s what this is? The 2000 on back is meaningless to be honest as USA car god no such designation in 71 spider. A mystery for sure!

#28 · (Edited)
71 alfa romeo spider for sale

No Mystery after all this !
My conclusion this engine its the same that's on the shelf of my garage 69 GTV 1750.
Spider engine Izione 1750 converted to Weber Carbs.
It has the Triangle symbol on the front head stamped. Engine #AR00551-05656
My 69 GTV engine #AR 0055102290 Mechanical Injection.
Regarding the Spin on Filter I want to say it was converted upon rebuilding the motor at Alfa experts.....I want to say it was a 2.0L front cover adoption....and oil flow from canister was blocked as you can see on pictures. Don't ask me how it was done but it sure works perfect.
Hope this will explain all the nonsense on this thread.
Pictures attach bellow!!

#34 ·
Some improvements were made since the Add was up!
I have installed a new Fuel filter regulator from Italy....also the rubber fuel lines to be on the safe side.
This car is up running and drivable any-were cross country.
Serious buyer's please send email to my private mail.

Price $15.000 bellow book value.
Thanks much.

#35 ·
Great looking Spider!

I have a 1971 also - great little car!

Here are some things I know about my 1971:
1. My car has the original motor, a 2000, not a 1750.
2. It came with a SPICA system and was changed to dual Webers.
3. The battery is at the front left of the engine compartment. Interesting that your battery is in the trunk. Original or did they modify.
4. Badges on the tail = Iniezione on the left and Alfa Romeo on the right.

If I didn't have my 1971, I'd be a player on your car.

Good luck! You should be able to sell it pretty easily. Right color and looks nice.

#36 ·
Thanks for your kind words, indeed its a beautiful car that needs nothing at this point and time.
With regards to your question on the battery.....yes it was modified, removed from the front engine compartment and replaced on the Trunk....this way the engine has more space. The Iniezione his the correct emblem to be on the left rear tail of the car instead my 2000....my guess was to fool alfa owners. my brother ones had a Mitsubishi diesel Truck and he installed a Alfa Center grill, that did not make it an ALFA TRUCK, however lots of folks that don't know any better though it was an Alfa eheheheheh. Have a great day!

#37 ·
Good info about the battery relocation. I was thinking of doing the same thing to my '71. I have a 1980 and a 1982 Spider that has the battery in the trunk - same location as yours.

FYI, the 1980 and 1982 don't drive like the '71. Nor do they have the same "cool factor". Chrome bumpers, cool interior, carbs vs SPICA or Bosch!

I think you'll have no problem getting your asking price for the car. Gorgeous body, fun to drive, responsive, open air, mechanical feel, the right color (red), great condition and Webers! For a modest amount of money, your '71 Alfa will make someone really happy.

Happy selling!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.