Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - AFrench Blue '69 GTV Restoration
View Single Post
post #1468 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
1750GT
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac mclaren View Post
what plating system do you use and how long does the plating last before any pitting or rust shows up through the finish? i love the finish you are getting on the refurbished items ,,mac
I've been using the Caswell zinc system for number of years now and the parts I've plated have turned out beyond my expectations. Mind you initially I was having issues related to insufficient or inadequate cleaning and preparation work but now hardly ever. The parts I've plated haven't really been tested at all with the elements since the car has been in the garage for a decade now. The caswell system may seem expensive at first...but when you consider than the formulations have been vetted and tested and one doesn't need to experiment with this.....it is a time saver in the end. The chromate colors come in blue, yellow dichromate and black. Yellow Dichromate has been the best in terms of consistent coloration.....with the Blue next and black the least. On all the hardware I've plated to date...blistering has occurred on 2 occasions only so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 1750 GTV 105.48 (sold), 1972 1300GTJunior (sold)
1969 1750 GTV 105.5 , 1972 Montreal

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome