Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - Best Racing Series of 2018 = MotoGp !
View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 06:38 PM
alfaparticle
Platinum Subscriber

I watched the IOM TT races every year for at least 10 years. Most years it was just for the Friday races and we bought a cheap 24 hour ferry ticket from Liverpool. We took a train to Liverpool on Thursday evening, spent a couple of hours in a pub then boarded a ferry just before midnight. We were unloaded in Douglas IOM at about 5:00 am Friday. Then find some breakfast and make our way out to our chosen point on the circuit - usually a pub. Watch the two races then get back to Douglas for a meal and more beer then catch a ferry back to Liverpool just before midnight. I went for the whole week a couple of times and I took my Suzuki GT500 with me one year. The police did their best to stop the fans from killing themselves riding the course in traffic and I was pulled over a couple of times but they made the mountain section one way for most of the day on Sunday and I will never forget riding through the veranda flat out at about 105 mph for 1.5 miles as I hung onto a Triumph Trident and a Laverda 1000.
In those days Mike Hailwood was the king of the TT races and I saw his famous duel with Giacomo Agostini in the 1967 Senior TT. I also saw his comeback year for Ducati and Yamaha in 1978. I have a good photo of him at Ballough Bridge on the Martini Yamaha but I cannot find the file. I will re-scan the negative if anyone is interested.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome