Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Milano Rear Badge Replacement

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  bjwhite 
#1 ·
So I just swapped out the front grille and badge for the body-colored Euro setup; relatively easy. The rear badge is giving me pause, its on pretty tight, and I can't see the pins to determine whether they're held by plastic grommets like the front. Should I (carefully) use a heat gun to soften the adhesive and then try to pry it off? Thanks to all that have done this before!

#2 ·
They are identical to the front, but mine had a wad of some godawful adhesive also holding it on. I finally got it off after breaking a couple of harbor freight nylon trim tools and folding the badge itself completely in two so i could attack it with a knife. I didnt try a heat gun, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Al

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Euro front grille painted to match the car.

Managed to get the badge removed, but what a PIA! Severely mangled my nylon tools also; needed about five carefully hammered around the badge until I was able to pierce and separate the adhesive puck applied at the factory thirty years ago. Could not save the pin grommets, but I'm sure they're similar in size to other marques.

Attachments

#7 ·
I like that look.

Weird thing is mine was only glued in the back. Front came right off with just fingernails. I was blaming mine on some long forgotten body shop since there was evidence of repairs in that area, but i guess it could have been factory.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Remember years ago "debadging" friends GTI with a dental floss, was pretty easy. If you can, try sliding it between the tape and the paint and slowly floss as you pull parallel to the body panel. A little bit of heat would not hurt either.

#10 ·
I destroyed the bade on my parts car trying to get it off. If the rest of the car was made out of that glue they'd never die.

#11 ·
Here's a couple of tips:

1) The body color front grill is not strictly European as it came stock on some 1989 Milanos as well. Mostly cars built after 8/88 or so in my experience.

2) If you are trying to remove a rear badge, drill a small hole in it and put a screw into the hole. This will give you something to pull on other than the sides of the badge, which can scratch the paint. If they are really stuck you may have to repeat this technique on 2 opposite sides of the badge.

#14 ·
The better grille.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.