Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - Viva AR-66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
alfa_corsa
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to alfa_corsa
Viva AR-66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce

This serves as the final thread regarding the rebirth of my beloved 1966 Alfa Romeo GT Sprint Veloce. Apologies for starting multiple threads over the years, but it has been so long and so far in between making any progress on the repair of the car that months would pass with no progress. I searched for earlier threads that I'd started and didn't find any germane to my Giulia in the past year or two so I felt it best to start this one, which should remain relevant and refreshed until the car is back together.

As a refresher, AR242922 was being driven by my wife as she followed me in our Giulietta Spider Veloce during AlfaCalifornia 2013 when it was rear-ended by a distracted teen age girl. The months and years that have passed since have been painful to say the least.

IMG_7510 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

Add to this pain is the fact that my 1900C SS, the restoration of which began before the Giulia was smashed, was completely butchered by Shin Yoshikawa, who charged me $40,000 and then returned it to me covered in body filler, panes of new metal lap welded over old.

Final result. by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

_TJN1479 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

The next fabricator did little to the car other than store it and begin the process of constructing a wooden buck for the front end. After two years and another $15,000 down the drain I took the car back and it's now getting proper attention at Nicks Old Car Specialty in Redlands, CA.

IMG_7090 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

IMG_0494 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

The work that has been done on Renzo is the car is called has been some of the best metal work I have ever witnessed. The welder, fabricator and body man who has been doing the work has only a few shortcomings, none of them related to his absolutely impeccable standards, work ethic, and ability. If anything the attention there's been almost too much attention to the smallest detail. This wouldn't be a problem, (after all, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing properly), if it hadn't taken over 4 years to get the car to its current state, which I'm happy to report is in the paint booth! I am cautiously optimistic that the car will be back in my garage in the next month.

IMG_20180131_200324267 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

The car is being painted in Cobalt Blue, the color that it was when it left the factory. The interior will be light brown (camel) and the car will be essentially as close to OE in appearance as possible.

I am trying to get a legend for where seam sealer was used at the factory and am curious if one exists. If you have or have seen such a diagram I would be grateful if you would share it. If I can't find one I'll just have the painter use his best judgement on where to apply the sealer prior to paint.

Much more to come soon!

Ciao!
-tj in the Cruz Mountains

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

57 1900C SS (10321) Carrozerria Touring (in process)
59 Giulietta Spider Veloce (05431)
66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (242922) Reborn
95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome