Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - May the circle remain unbroken - 10204 01488
View Single Post
post #99 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 01:56 PM
twoliterlover

Arrow AFRA knows about Self Adjusting 102 series brakes.

Don,
There is nothing strange to AFRA about the 102 series self adjusting brakes. They have two different types of wheel cylinders. When they are on ones care the real tip off is the round black piece on the side of the brake shoe that has to fit onto the pin on the backing plate. That black piece looks like a disk with a hole in the center on one side (that's where the pin on the backing plate fits) and what looks like a 24mm (or so) hex on the other (outside of the shoe). The front cylinders are different, and I used to have a photo of one with the crucial adjuster on the end that was broken off. I can't find that now, but I am sending you the catalog photos of front cylinders from AFRA showing the two different numbers. For example, the self adjusting are on my #00019 sprint (the latest model), but not on either my ancient #00126 spider or my even older #00900 sedan.

The secret to fitting the self adjusting brakes is to fit one end of the shoe in place, then be sure the pin is in the center hole of the black slider (other end of the shoe will be way out of place) and then tap the other end of the shoe to fit on the opposite side where it can also be secured. I do this one shoe at a time, then take one off to put the springs (they only stretch so far) onto both shoes and -- guess what? -- they fit wonderfully and push out to adjust to fit the drums when you first stomp hard on the brake pedal. I still don't know if Seattle Dan ever got his done.
Attached Images

[B]JAY NUXOLL [/B][EMAIL="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"], seriously Alfa diseased and ancient OLD Two Liter Lover, put together Seattle area's Northwest Alfa Romeo Club in 1965, and still feebly tries to tend a teeny sacred flame to his serpent mistress in the [B]ALFA G'RAJ MAHAL[/B], a home garage temple with more Alfa cars and parts than he dare list because of the disapproval of his shamed and chagrined family. (425) 641-2600.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome