Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - May the circle remain unbroken - 10204 01488
View Single Post
post #94 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
DPeterson3
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Fiddly work

The small number of pictures does not reveal the amount of time and work done today.

I got the screws reinserted into the right door hinge. PITA. I took them out when I planned to remove said body-side door hinge, but after removing discovered that this hinge was also welded into place. I guess Touring had concerns about their doors flying off at the eye-watering speeds achieved by the Solex-equipped 2000.

I spoke with Larry Jr today. The guts of the trans are surprisingly good, given the external funkiness. All the gears are good, but we're going to replace all of the bearings and some of the synchro stuff. He reckons it'll be good.

This led to a conversation about hardware. He's got a place not far away that does a black-zinc plating process that is a close match to the original black-oxide. We all know that the oxide finish sort of depended upon a prompt and continuous re-oiling, either from the engine or trans, to prevent rust from appearing. So, to take advantage of the minimum-batch price, I went through my years of Alfa hardware and dumped all of it that appeared like it would benefit. Some of these I had already done a black-sulfite blackening, but that requires a clear-coat to stop the rust.

It turns out I do have a left and right rear brake backing plate. One of them was just rotated funny by the hyper-active idiots who worked on this car several decades ago. They must be the ones who felt it was appropriate to paint everything green that they removed. Easy to trace their work, and give those areas some extra scrutiny.

Part of the fun of this project is the logistical skills I built back when my poor choice of parents forced me to work for a living. I now have the steel on the way for the rotisserie, the glass-slurry paint stripper/surface prep guy awaiting delivery of the rotisserie-mounted body, the body guy standing by with my project at the top of his list (best painter I've ever used), several thousand dollars of parts stacking up at Classic Alfa pending my "ship now" signal, Borrani of America pursuing a quote and clarification of just *** their catalog is trying to tell us, 3 more Pirelli CA67s en route, the chromer looking forward to a nice bump in his annual billings, quotes in hand from Donatella Esposito for the interior (choice of vinyl or leather?), and a nearby fellow Alfisto offering to come down and help. I'm going to take him up on that. He's the guy with the one-owner (his dad) 71 GTV in his garage undergoing a sloooooowwwww resto. He'll experience the other version down here. I suppose he thinks I'll help him with the 1750 GT when I finish this. Might just do that.

A pot of beans and sausage has been on the stove all day. I've just added some hot sauce that my (hopefully temporarily) absent wife brought home from her visit to her mother's services in Australia last year. I wonder if she was hoping this would kill me? For those of you who like a little spice in your life, one tooth pick dipped into this, and stirred into a bowl of chili was TOO MUCH. I've dolloped in what might be a lethal dose into about two gallons of pintos and sausage. If my regular posts cease, you'll know why.

Next week....

Trip to powder coater with first load.
Three wheels off to Stockton Wheel for straightening
Fly over to Lampson field near Clear Lake, CA to pick up my airplane, then down to APE/Tracy to drop off two rear-end pumpkins for inspection, along with a tub of hardware for plating
Start collating, photographing, and inventorying all the chrome and shiny bits that need to head toward Oregon.
Send two or three more orders to CA for stock-piling.
Send pictures of front wheel cylinders to both CA and OKP (both of whom have never heard of the late style brakes on a 102)

G'night Gracie
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...

Last edited by DPeterson3; 01-12-2018 at 06:22 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome