Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - May the circle remain unbroken - 10204 01488
View Single Post
post #53 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
DPeterson3
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Endurance session in the shop

I dug in around noon, and came inside at 7:00, having had only one pee break.

Wiring harness out.
All air circulation out.
Instruments out
Switches out.
Horns out
Regulator and relays out.
Hood off.
Brake and clutch master cylinders and plumbing out
Brake union and front piping out
bottom heat shield out
And I'm sure other stuff.....

The car seems to have had a pair of period Marchal driving lights installed. There are two switches under the left dash area that could have been purchased as surplus from Dr. Frankenstein's lab. I originally assumed I'd take this car back to as near original as I could stand, but these things are cool, and definitely installed early in the car's life. Some rechroming will be required, but the lenses are perfect, and switches are cool.

This is the first 102 I've dug into that had the entire floor, footwell, rear seat area, and top storage bay lined with padded insulation. It's hard to believe this was added after the car was assembled, as that would have required a lot of things being pulled out just to cover the flooring. I plan to go back the same.

Both of the 10204's I've owned and driven were 59 models. This 60 has a number of tiny refinements, including the sound deadening mentioned above. The trans cross member is different, but I don't know why. Several pipes and wires have extra and well-placed clamps to hold them firmly in place. On the whole, more "production line" appearance and less "where should we put this?" look.

There's an odd, and I don't believe original, bracket mounted just ahead of the radiator. Air horn mounting? Radiator fan? Oil cooler?

I'm going with air horns, but no evidence of them in the pile of parts. Probably got robbed off the car when it was taken away from the kids, and installed on some young lad's Rambler.

It is at this point that I am most excited, and most despairing. I've been yanking things out, taking care, reminding me just how many little bits have to be individually restored, or replaced, replated, fiddled with, and generally dealt with. However, I got a lot done today. Perhaps 3 or 4 more days like today, and the car will be down to its shell. I do have a sense things are going more quickly. Having done one of these only a decade ago, there's some muscle memory as to what the sequence is for dismantling, and hopefully reassembling, everything.

Still, at the moment it's about 50/50 exuberance and despair.
Attached Images

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome