Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - May the circle remain unbroken - 10204 01488
View Single Post
post #46 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
DPeterson3
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Up on the stands

I finally had a free evening to dig into 1488 some more. Generally, disassembly is going smoothly, although there were two left-side lug nuts that I noticed were not fully seated up. Attempts to remove them produced spinning studs. Dang. Some penetrant and butane torch got them off, but there'll be some wheel studs to sort out on the left front wheel.

Anyone ever seen shiny, silver metal on both the inside and outside of an original 102 spare tire tub, after removing some paint and primer? Nah, me neither.

I got the back half of the wiring harness pulled loose. Only the section from the driver's floor up through the firewall remains. That's where I wearied of the day's work. The battery cable is in a similar state of removal. Both the harness and battery cable were in very good condition, but they'll be replaced in any case. I'm fond of the 00 welding cable for the battery. Lionel will make a new harness.

Seats, carpet, and rubber mats all removed. Yes, the mats were held in place by those cute snaps. I have stock of the male part of those snaps, but where does one find the female that fits onto the rubber mat?

On my running 102, I chose to lay the rubber mats on top of the unmolested carpet. 1488 has it the other way around. Both make sense, in a way.

I keep finding more evidence of a whitish paint under everything I remove. The driver's side door latch and rubber guide were both still covered with very old and dry masking tape, clearing indicating an effort to paint the car at some point. Under both the latch and rubber bumper is a color very closely matching my grigio biacca. I like the color, so if the museo comes back with confirmation, we're off to the races. The remaining question to be go back with the often seen red vinyl, or red carpet and black seats/door panels as this car appears to have, or another Scottish brown saddle leather interior?

I took a bunch of pics, but Apple decided it was more important to update the iOS (and presumably slow down my phone in an effort to make me buy a new one), so I can't upload anything at the moment. Maybe tomorrow.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome