Alfa Romeo Forums banner

I CAN understand why every second car is not an Alfa Romeo

60K views 683 replies 31 participants last post by  alfettaparts2 
#1 ·
We drove our 156 v6 from Tauranga to Hamilton yesterday to show my parents and to have dinner. Yes I put the old thermostat back in ... and yes she ran cold ...

But what an awesome car. So much torque. Doesn't really need a gearbox. How the heck did they do that? Man they must breathe so well.

Went up the Kaimai ranges in top gear without me having to accelerate more than a few millimetres and never dropped below 95km/h. Okay on the way home I dropped down a couple of gears because the corners are tighter.

Quiet, handles bumps well, corners instinctively (this sort of driving you can't tell that is is FWD), didn't use much petrol, aircon worked well, radio worked all the way (major concern with the kids as our old Honda Odyssey looses the station) and very easy to keep to the speed limit. I did though hit the rev limiter in 2nd near the end of the trip home when I was playing ... she revs so fast!

I honestly cannot understand why so many buy other brands! What a car, and strangely reminds me of my GTV in being such a solid and relaxed cruiser/mile eater.
Pete

See less See more
#237 ·
You can hardly blame the Toyota for a flat tyre but great to have a dependable Alfa as reliable backup.
I made the mistake of not replacing the water pump when I did the timing belt 400km`s ago so waiting for the new water pump to arrive from EB Spares. Lesson learnt - don`t be so cheap next time - I replaced absolutely everything else though including a/c compressor. There was absolutely no noise or leak from the water pump so I took the gamble - cars only done 133 000km- not as long service life for the components as our older Alfas are they.
EB Spares are good for 156 parts but I bought at the same time brake overhaul parts for my 2 litre 105 from Classic Alfa and not only do they provide track and trace but through DHL arrive within 3-5 days whereas I`m still waiting for the 156 waterpump.
This happened last time too when I used the two companies on the same day - the EB Spares 156 timing belt etc arrived a couple of weeks after.

#238 · (Edited)
This post will sound like I am being cheap, but I also believe in the "if it aren't broke don't fix it" theory ...

So finally got around to a scheduled service, and thanks to the Vitz the 156 has reduced to 10,000 km's per year and will probably be even lower from now on. So decided to chuck her up on 4 jack stands and take my time and at least look at every thing just to make sure there was nothing odd going on, while rotating the tyres, changing the oil and filter.

Somebody has previously cut the front brake pad wear indicators but strangely in different places on each side, so removed the wiring from the left caliper as it was doing nothing (just adding to my unsprung weight ;)). The pads in there had the wire so I guess it was giving trouble with false warnings ... ? ... anyway a completely unnecessary warning IMO, so now properly removed.

Now I had planned to refresh the seals, etc. in the power steering pump as it's dirty but it currently does not use oil, so suspect it might be getting dirty from elsewhere, like maybe a minor cam cover leak, so I did the cheap alternative and cleaned it instead and now will keep an eye on it. I also cleaned the front of the cylinder head and cam cover as much as practical as it was dirty too. She has now done ~158,000 km's so to be expected but otherwise a pretty clean engine, and now cleaner.

While the undertray is off I will do the air conditioning compressor clutch test thanks to AlfaVirusNZ's instructions, but I could not start her yesterday because strangely the battery was flat. Now I have not driven her for maybe a month, but I've just noticed that overnight the charger has not reached fully charged status so maybe the battery has given up the ghost. Will find out soon. While I am a tight arse in many ways, I don't stuff around with car batteries and any more issues in this area and a brand new one will be immediately purchased ... I spent way too many of my childhood years push starting my fathers shop vehicles, lol.

Not much else to say other than I think a drive today is in order, and maybe a wash :). As you can probably tell by this post that I pretty much just pottered around on the 156 taking my time, under no time pressure ... even cleaned the inside of the wheels (***!). Far more enjoyable than last time when we had somewhere to be ...
Pete

#240 ·
I have an answer

myself said:
alfavirusnz said:
Next turn the ignition on and try again to turn the compressor pulley front - it should be locked up.
Hmmm, this locking up does not happen, even with the green led "on" ... maybe the pulley needs to be turning before it will lock up? Or we have found the fault?
On my car there is no power to the compressor clutch until the engine is running, so that answers that :)

Now I have to work out how to get at the air cleaner ... yes I have as yet never replaced it :eek:
Pete

#241 ·
So the battery did take charge and she fired right up, so fingers crossed all good there.

While I was playing I fixed the battery fuse cover thing that somebody had previously broken and fixed with tape ... ugly. I've managed to repair the hinges neatly with cable ties. I also carefully bent up repaired plastic undertray up in the middle. I previously fixed it with a small alloy tube running right across the back end on the inside and riveted to the plastic. By bending it up a little in the middle moved it tighter to the bottom of the engine which is what I wanted, and ensured it did not look like it was sagging in the middle. Hmmm air cleaner, just blew it cleaner ... I'll order a new one one day ... not the easiest thing to get out and back in.

Went for a drive, pulled ~6k revs in 4th just to make sure she still works ;). On the return trip I actually felt the air con was working well enough as was nice and comfortable temp in the car on a fine Tauranga day :). Washed and parked away for the next 10k km's.

Back to the GTV ...
Pete

#244 ·
So I had a couple of hours, and did not feel like building shelves (next step for the GTV so i can clear the floor and turn her around to work on the other side), so the front passenger now has a cup holder ... well will when the paint dries.

An improved design, designed for coffee cups as my lovely wife is an avid coffee drinker.

I had to make a internal cone for the coffee cup and looking around for something to use as a hammer form and low and behold one of the 1750's old liners was the perfect size!

The 156v6 will soon be an even more perfect touring car
Pete

#246 ·
Okay the passenger seat coffee cup holder has not worked out as good as hoped. I've had 2 passengers in her and the first one caught it with his foot getting in ... and the second kept bumping in to a drink bottle with his foot.

So I'm going to move it to near the centre tunnel and attach it to the seat (somehow) so it moves with the seat.

An example on how modifying a car is never just a simple single step.
Pete

#247 · (Edited)
New Zealand has decided to stop raining (yes strange I know) and now hot, so the aircon issues have come to the fore. So I bit the bullet and bought from Repco a CRC regassing/refill can. Only $50 something!

The first step is to check the existing pressure and low and behold she has perfect pressure!! So the gas is not the issue. So it is either the compressor is not turning on (I believe it is from a previous test ... but ) or the compressor is not compressing.

I guess I will need to get a part number for the compressor and start ringing around for a rebuilt one? Of course removing the compressor will cause the gas to be lost and really should be captured ...
Pete

#248 · (Edited)
I've been reading everything I can find on air-conditioning and I now think the issue is the Thermal Expansion (TX) valve or there is a blockage in the system. I say this because the (high pressure) pipe on both sides of the TX valve is hot, and on the evaporator (passenger compartment side) of the TX valve the pipe should be colder. The TX valve alters the pressure by lowering it and this is what makes the refrigerant cold(er).

There are multiple potential causes for the TX valve not to work. Internally it could be stuck due to grit or water getting into the system, or it has worn out or the passenger compartment temperature sensor is sending it incorrect information, i.e. that sensor needs to be replaced.

So my goal now is to try and feed the TX valve information manually to see if I can get cold air inside the car. If I can it means I need to order a new sensor(s?), if I can't then I'm either wrong about the issue being the TX valve area, or the TX valve needs replacing/cleaning out/rebuilding.
Pete

#249 ·
I'm full of poo, and the thing I have been thinking is the TX valve is not but some sort of pressure sensor. I now believe the TX valve is hidden, I assume, under the dashboard somewhere. Basically I have no idea what I am doing in regards to air conditioning. I now understand the principle but not how to diagnose.

I'm going to get a quote for a shop to diagnose what is wrong and go from there ...
Pete

#251 ·
Major milestone for her last night, clocked over 100,000 miles (unfortunately this is shown as 160,000 kms) ... so to celebrate I drove her to work this morning, putting on another 70. I've now done nearly 30% of her mileage. Wonder why the previous owners left her sitting in the shed for obviously so long and too often? Maybe they had a fleet of Alfas that needed to share the fun :)

Pete

#252 ·
Pete, they could have been like me I`ve only done an average of 2500km`s each year since we`ve had the Twin Spark- too many cars but guess what, I`ve bought another - a `98 156 V6 (manual). I just couldn`t help myself as I love that Busso V6 and firmly believe that 156`s will be if they are not already a minor classic Alfa which will never be cheaper in good condition. I also fell in love with the colour of the car, Fantasia or Fantasy Blue (code 402) a blue that changes to a turquoise green in different light. Unfortunately it has the black leather trim which I don`t particularly like, whereas our Twin Spark has red leather and looks superb. Already the V6 has had people in the car park come up and comment about the colour and the car but we regularly have that with the Twin Spark, although nothing about the exterior colour (silver) but rather about the car itself and the interior, or the combination. As the 156`s have got older naturally they have diminished in number but those that are around have also got scruffier and to see a good one now is rare. When they are in excellent condition people notice them as again like most Alfas they do look different and to non car people are difficult to age. Many of the people who come to us to comment on the car are very surprised at the age, thinking they are current model or a very few years old. So sad though that many say they`ve always wanted one but.....

Reactions: PSk
#253 ·
Even my current boss has said that he always wanted an Alfa Romeo, but ... owns a VW instead.

And yes that blue colour is awesome. I was looking at a blue one with tan leather, but turned out to be a con and thankfully even if it was real I didn't buy it as it was pre 2000 which would mean 6 month warrants. Nobody in my family thought it worth sharing that with me ... errr!@!
Pete

#255 ·
During the time these cars were mainstream, everybody was replacing front suspension parts very often - they’re chocolate.

The lessons learned from this at the time (from memory) were. Use Alfa original upper and lower wishbones where possible or OE TRW replacements - they last the longest and have the best tolerances and ride compliance.

“OriginalBirth” were another (favourite) supplier, however I found poor quality control on over half of these items and eventually decided to just use original Alfa always (as I do now with the GQV).

Most people who went to poly reported harshness and poly squeaks.. your mileage may vary but I’d just bite the bullet and replace the lot (upper, lower, drop links, ARB) with OE TRW or Original Alfa Parts if you can find them cheaply. I get everything these days from shop4parts in the UK. There is a 10% discount code for Alfa club members (ask me) and they will source original parts not listed on their excellent website direct from Alfa Italy if you ask and supply part number and VIN.

Reason I say just replace the lot at once is the labour.. there’s nothing more annoying than replacing one part of the system to find you have to go back in a few weeks later for the next bit (you will)

#256 ·
I’ve been told by different mechanics and parts guys that German Lemforder control arms are the best and last longer. They are more expensive, but probably worth it in the long run. I have poly bushes on the GT ARB and they are fine.

You certainly have to keep away from the Chinese control arms. I found a Chinese company online that makes them. They will sell you 100 for a Honda, for $1.10 each! They will also supply boxes with any manufacturers label you want, complete with barcodes and part numbers.

#260 · (Edited)
#262 ·
I think most of us can relate to the need to stretch the dollar, and having owned a workshop I`m used to hunting down cheaper suppliers without compromising quality, or sourcing common parts from a brand which does not command premium prices. Remember also as the car ages parts suppliers often want to dump parts on shelves and replace their stock with parts relevant to a later model where the margin is still high - every sq centimetre has cost remember, so old stock is normally got rid of when your business is in supplying quick moving parts for later more common cars Our 156`s are no longer common on the roads so demand would have dropped significantly.
Thank heaven for the internet.

#263 ·
Welll I'm a bit pissed with my 156v6, its failed a warrant, but not for the expected left front suspension play, but f'ing right rear tyre has worn down to the cords on the inside. The out side of the tyre is like brand new (probably an exaggeration) and yes I have been rotating them very 5000 kms.

I checked my notes and that is only just over 30k kms. Not good enough, especially as I don't corner hard.

The car's alignment is to specs, as I've had that checked ... but I've immediately taken as much toe-in as I can out of thd rear wheels.

Does anybody know how to take negative camber out of the front and rear?

Hmmm ...
Pete

#264 · (Edited)
Okay, the sheer volume of internet discussions on the amount of camber these cars run and premature tire wear highlights this is a known issue.

I've also found offset bushes, for front top inner, for racing 156s, but if you installed them the "wrong" way around you would reduce the negative camber, but I've also gound a YouTube video of offset bolts somebody made ... good idea.

The rear camber is not adjustable, but you can adjust toe in. I've had a look and I believe the hub bolts on to the strut, so I could move the top hole (done this for a Toyota Tarago to increase camber) but I also could make an offset bolt, like what is used for toe in setting, to make the camber adjustable.

I think modifications are required because I'm not keen on replacing tires so often, and in the end this is the result of Alfa Romeo trying to make the fwd chassis handle. I don't mind the 156v6 being fwd, but this tire issue has highlighted that it was a mistake.

I need to do front top inner bushes so while there see if I can tone down the camber, and the same for the rear, after ensuring all bushes are in good order. A fun little engineering exercise!

Will I lose the sharpness of the handling? Maybe, but I'm 51 now and my 18 year old self would say I drive this car like a ***** ...
Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.