Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - Tipo 33 Engine
Thread: Tipo 33 Engine
View Single Post
post #47 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 02:07 AM
gtv2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARGTAReg View Post
I I do not understand continuous claiming of Giuseppe Busso’s authorship of 33 motor (chassis and the majority of general solutions were his work) as Busso himself has never mentioned (not even in autobiography) V8 for 33 as his project. Maurizio Tabucchi author of important books about Alfa Romeo (close friend of Chiti) is explicit about that: “…Luraghi’s decision was immediate; Chiti would complete 33 project, and Chiti would conceive the new engine for it, an 2 liter V8 unit…”
ARGTAReg,

I must say this discussion would look much more pleasant to me if you could refrain from pontificating against other knowledgeable people (and you did so at your own expense with Martin in the discussion over GTA/SAs) based on your admiration for the late Tabucchi.

Not only was Tabucchi not so much recognized for the accuracy of his research (see 1990s La Manovella about his 2-volumes "Alfa Romeo di produzione and his invention of a "forgotten" Alfa which was, in the end, an old Darracq design updated), but you seem quite selective in your reading.

I must correct you about "Busso himself has never mentioned (not even in autobiography)".

Quote:
Busso, Nel cuore dell'Alfa, p. 117:
"Noi comunque, nel 1964, avevamo dato inizio allo studio del motore posteriore"

translates into:
"We [intended as Satta, Busso and his collaborators] had anyway started in 1964 the study of the rear engine"
And, if it's not specific enough:
Quote:
Busso, Nel cuore dell'Alfa, p. 119:
"In principio del 1966, la 33 era stata consegnata all'Autodelta e con essa anche i pezzi staccati del motore 8 cilindri, progettato e costruito in casa da noi. Il nuovo motore comincio' a girare al banco in Autodelta il 25 febbraio e, in vettura, a Balocco, il 28 maggio."

That is:
"At the beginning of 1966, the 33 was handled out to Autodelta, and with it also the parts for the 8 cylinders engine, home designed and built by us. The new engine was first bench tested at Autodelta on February 25th, and in the car, at Balocco, on May 28th."
While Collins' and McDonough's book on 33s is at least as much packed with errors as Tabucchi's, they remark on page 18:
Quote:
"At he press conference, the designers were announced as Satta and Busso. In neglecting to include Chiti in this announcement, despite all of his work, the car's origins were indicated more clearly"
I reckon that further in the book, they make confusing statements about the engine's origin, and BTW report having seen "castings for a 2-litre V8 produced during the 1950s, again for a stillborn passenger/GT car".

I have myself researched the Arese archives for an history of the Alfa factory in the 40s and 50s, and didn't came across any plan for such a car. That doesn't rule out that the castings do exist, but I'm in doubt which project they can have been related to.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome