Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - 68 GTV Dashboard Restoration
View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 11:51 PM
Nakagtv
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBertone View Post
Thanks for the complements. There were many moments when I realized I needed to start over and that was ..well depressing but I persevered. The foam is 2 part liquid urethane of a n 8lb density but its not a good match for the original foam as it has no give. I'd do some more research here but it worked OK for me as I added an additional layer on top of it (1/8" Closed Cell White 2A Volara Landau Foam Roof Padding off ebay) This is the white foam and it has some give and flexibility that I think will be a good underlayment/isolator for the vinyl.

At the back of the gauge pods I cut a slot for the vinyl to tuck into (both for the gauges and the top). One could stitch it here as well but I think it would be very hard to get it to look right as I needed to stretch the vinyl a lot to cover the curves of the pods and its hard to predict where you will end up. The tuck method is very clean - just cut a smooth slot in the foam trim the edges so there is a little extra and push it into the slot with a putty knife. I attached a photo that shows this better but it is the same method as what you can see beneath the gauges.

Note using this method I owe to another as I saw the pictures of their job and copied the approach.
I got it, thanks for the explanation. I think they look as perfect as it gets, better without the stitch. For now, project like that is beyond
my skills and would take me forever.
Maybe some day....for now I need to put back intake manifold with soft mounts and stock air box. Seeing projects like this helps me keep moving forward

Zaza

Current Alfas:

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
1987 Milano Verde
1970 Euro-spec GTV 1750

Refreshing 1750 GTV
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome